Author Topic: Baseball Banquet Press Release  (Read 7357 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Baseball Banquet Press Release
« on: February 12, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »
I have to say the Athletic Department should be completely embarrassed to release that article.  As a former YSU athlete and graduate it is insane to think that someone actually released that article with countless grammar and spelling errors.  That department is inept from top to bottom.  Mr. Parks, please keep in mind you are running a department at an institution of higher learning.  Is there any accountability in that department?

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball Banquet Press Release
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »
I also noted the spelling/grammar errors in that article about the baseball First Pitch Breakfast. That said, it was a very nice event yesterday.  I drove down from the Cleveland area for the third year in a row to attend.  I highly recommend it.  I was ticket 475, so no joke on the attendance of over 450 people.

That said, to your point.  Yes, someone should have proof read that before posting.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »
  Zero accountability.  Parks is lazy, he is married to Strollo's sister, job security.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
I have never seen some much unjust, uneducated and ridiculous hatred in my life. You people need to move out of Ytown and then you can see  how corrupt big-time collegiate sports really are. We have such incredible quality athletics for a small city. I travel quite a bit and so many people see my "garb" and know us. How many people can even tell you they have heard of  NDSU? You all live in some dream world that we have the same "under-the-table" resources that major institutions have ...we don't!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:03:13 PM »
I started this topic and I live in Arizona.  I graduated from YSU in 97.  I keep up on YSU through social media and the various websites including this site.  I graduated from a high school in PA so possibly my expectations are too high since I didn't grow-up in Ytown.  The people writing these articles are most likely aspiring journalism students and enrolled at the university.  If you find the article acceptable then I guess that's your opinion.  Make no mistake most 8th graders could write something much better. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
Boy, you guys are ALL "off the rails" today.
Unless I'm looking at a different release on the First Pitch Breakfast, it didn't seem that bad to me.  Somebody post an original copy if it is that bad.  Don't you guys read the Vindy or Tribune regularly?  Maybe I'm just jaded to bad spelling and grammar!
Second, Parks married Strollo's sister quite a while after we hired him, and I think you may be a little out of bounds suggesting he married the women to protect his job or whatever.
Third, IAA you are really over the top with your attack, (and it is nothing less than an attack) and "under the table" charges etc.  Take a breath big guy.  The bloggers were no worse than normal. 
One thing you consistently do that irritates at least me is make excuses for Youngstown.   For instance Blacksburg VA is quite a bit smaller than Youngstown, and they support significantly bigger athletic programs than Youngstown does.  YSU sports is what we the fans make of it.  If we support MBB we will win more games.  We don't care about BB in the valley, and it is second thought for YSU also. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
I have never seen some much unjust, uneducated and ridiculous hatred in my life. You people need to move out of Ytown and then you can see  how corrupt big-time collegiate sports really are. We have such incredible quality athletics for a small city. I travel quite a bit and so many people see my "garb" and know us. How many people can even tell you they have heard of  NDSU? You all live in some dream world that we have the same "under-the-table" resources that major institutions have ...we don't!

It's fun to throw around a few haymakers every now and then but geez, to wholesale insult your readership is bad form.

Not that it matters, as you will carry water for the profoundly incompetent AD all day long, but I live near FGCU, a school only slightly bigger than YSU in a town about the size of Ytown, and they play in an arena smaller than Beeghly.  While they have no FB team, their MBB team joined D1 recently in 2011, and have been to the Dance twice, Sweet 16 once, and the NIT once in those few short years.  There's no scandals...just competent leadership...something YSU woefully lacks.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »

It's fun to throw around a few haymakers every now and then but geez, to wholesale insult your readership is bad form.

Not that it matters, as you will carry water for the profoundly incompetent AD all day long, but I live near FGCU, a school only slightly bigger than YSU in a town about the size of Ytown, and they play in an arena smaller than Beeghly.  While they have no FB team, their MBB team joined D1 recently in 2011, and have been to the Dance twice, Sweet 16 once, and the NIT once in those few short years.  There's no scandals...just competent leadership...something YSU woefully lacks.

I am not going to defend the MBB program. I have gone to most of the home games in first 48 years since I was a student at YSU. I have not gone to a single game for the last 2 years because of Slocum.

However, comparison to FGCU might not be accurate since they do not have a football program. They might be able to channel most of their $$ into MBB.

Do you know their annual budget for MBB? They might have $$ to hire a good coach/assistant coaches. We don't have $$ and therefore, we are stuck with Jerry.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 05:08:55 PM »

I am not going to defend the MBB program. I have gone to most of the home games in first 48 years since I was a student at YSU. I have not gone to a single game for the last 2 years because of Slocum.

However, comparison to FGCU might not be accurate since they do not have a football program. They might be able to channel most of their $$ into MBB.

Do you know their annual budget for MBB? They might have $$ to hire a good coach/assistant coaches. We don't have $$ and therefore, we are stuck with Jerry.

Good question.  It looks like the FGCU Athletic Department budget is $10.8M for this FY.  YSU's athletic department budget is $15M I recall, so overall FGCU spends far less on athletics.  FGCU MBB received $1M in revenue generation after going to the Sweet 16....part of why neglecting a revenue sport like MBB is fiscal malpractice.  As far as the MBB specifically goes, it's prolly higher than YSU's $1.3M but I'm having trouble finding it in a quick search.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
It looks like FGCU's MBB budget was actually less than YSU's, and they still went to the Dance, although I think it's risen since then.  I recall YSU's MBB has been flat at $1.3M for a few years.  If I'm correct, the fiscal malpractice of the YSU athletic department is far worse than even I thought.

From the Naples Daily News:

In 2011-12, the most recent year of available data, FGCU reported just $1.1 million in men's basketball expenses. Among the 64 teams to qualify for NCAA tournament's second round this year, that ranked 60th out of 64.

http://archive.naplesnews.com/news/education/money-rules-in-push-to-build-fgcu-basketball-into-consistent-winner-ep-384124931-342167431.html

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 10:46:40 PM »

No I am insulting you and your brother 1990...just you ...no one else hides under the illusion that you are YSU fans so you can just say what you want. Furthermore you should be ashamed to even compare any  D1 college in Florida to YSU. They can field a winning program with new recruits they get off the streets every year. and when they all flunk out ...simply reload. It isn't apples to oranges.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »

No I am insulting you and your brother 1990...just you ...no one else hides under the illusion that you are YSU fans so you can just say what you want. Furthermore you should be ashamed to even compare any  D1 college in Florida to YSU. They can field a winning program with new recruits they get off the streets every year. and when they all flunk out ...simply reload. It isn't apples to oranges.

Actually, FGCU has a higher 2014-15 (most recent year available) APR than YSU, so again you are trafficking fake news.

Here is an interesting link showing the impact a winning MBB program has had on FGCU.  Higher GPA's and ACT scores of incoming Freshman, doubling of fundraising, enhanced alumni participation, rising enrollment, and of course improved attendance and apparel sales.

http://www.fgcu.edu/CRM/fastfacts.html

It truly underscores the lost potential the entire University (YSU) could've experienced had it not been for neglect of MBB, wasted resources, and a profoundly incompetent Athletic Department.  It's actually quite sickening.  Slocum and Strollo need to pack their bags, leave Youngstown, and go wherever inept sabotaging losers go.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:19:08 AM by Penguin Nation »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »

Actually, FGCU has a higher 2014-15 (most recent year available) APR than YSU, so again you are trafficking fake news.

Here is an interesting link showing the impact a winning MBB program has had on FGCU.  Higher GPA's and ACT scores of incoming Freshman, doubling of fundraising, enhanced alumni participation, rising enrollment, and of course improved attendance and apparel sales.

http://www.fgcu.edu/CRM/fastfacts.html

It truly underscores the lost potential the entire University (YSU) could've experienced had it not been for neglect of MBB, wasted resources, and a profoundly incompetent Athletic Department.  It's actually quite sickening.  Slocum and Strollo need to pack their bags, leave Youngstown, and go wherever inept sabotaging losers go.

That APR means nothing and I did not even traffic any "news" just opinion. So you either agree or feel that I am full of crap ...I can take either one as that is your opinion as well. Here is a link that shows what FGSU's 2017 NCAA football final appearance did for their school:

absoloootlynothing.com

Don't act as though I do not want a good MBB program, as I do. However, It has to be at the bottom of a list of about 20 sports in priority especially football and the other headcount sports.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:03:36 PM by IAA Fan »