Author Topic: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM  (Read 73437 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2017, 11:05:31 AM »
Where is the money going to come for this ? Who would want to donate for a loser basketball program that makes no money right now ? We are talking many years down the road for this to happen. Price tag would be big. Get rid of Jerry first.
This is a public, non-profit university, that is to say, money is virtually unlimited.  All this crap about money money money all the time makes me laugh.  This is a business that has doubled it's endowment fund balance in about 2 years and improved it's bottom line performance by something like $10,000,000 in the same time frame.  Plus I'm not sure that JT isn't as good at getting into peoples pockets as he was a football coach.  If JT thinks the university would be well served to fire Slocum, he's gone, and if JT thinks it's time to update Beegley, it will be updated.  Just as JT thought it was time to fix the slum housing on top of the East side of Stambaugh Statium.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
Where is the money going to come for this ? Who would want to donate for a loser basketball program that makes no money right now ? We are talking many years down the road for this to happen. Price tag would be big. Get rid of Jerry first.
This is a public, non-profit university, that is to say, money is virtually unlimited.  All this crap about money money money all the time makes me laugh.  This is a business that has doubled it's endowment fund balance in about 2 years and improved it's bottom line performance by something like $10,000,000 in the same time frame.  Plus I'm not sure that JT isn't as good at getting into peoples pockets as he was a football coach.  If JT thinks the university would be well served to fire Slocum, he's gone, and if JT thinks it's time to update Beegley, it will be updated.  Just as JT thought it was time to fix the slum housing on top of the East side of Stambaugh Statium.

The first part is wrong. Public universities are getting funding cut big time. The only reason some things are getting done is because of private donations, which JT and McFadden have done a great job of..

Your last part about the east side press box, why is not done yet this year ? Because they still need more money. So money is not unlimited as you say.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »

The first part is wrong. Public universities are getting funding cut big time. The only reason some things are getting done is because of private donations, which JT and McFadden have done a great job of..

Your last part about the east side press box, why is not done yet this year ? Because they still need more money. So money is not unlimited as you say.
You read and believe the propaganda too much!  Every hear anybody besides one of your fellow blogers say the hold up with the East stands was funding?
An even cursory review of the budget will show that state funding went up 3,500,000 last year and another 1,000,000 on top of that this year and the general fund bottom line improved 7,000,000 a year ago, and another 3,500,000 this year.  Anything above the state funding increase (3,500,000 last year and 2,500,000 this year) is operational improvement by the current administration.  Not to mention the doubling of the endowment fund, which is more than ¼ Billion?  PLUS the enrollment is now increasing once again after a decade or so of steady declines.
Trust me, If JT wants new seats, we’ll have new seats.  Best day in the last 50 years at least for YSU? The day they hired JT as President.  Second best day?  The day they hired JT as head football coach!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
On his sportscast this evening, Dana Balash (tv21) reported that the university can pick up or decline an option on Slocum for next season.  Deadline for the action on that option is April 1.

Thanks Wick I have been waiting to hear. That means we did offer him a new agreement.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »
On his sportscast this evening, Dana Balash (tv21) reported that the university can pick up or decline an option on Slocum for next season.  Deadline for the action on that option is April 1.

Thanks Wick I have been waiting to hear. That means we did offer him a new agreement.

I really hope that they have not, but I love the irony of April 1.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2017, 11:02:34 PM »
IAA Fan,

Actually, it is exactly what you do not want to hear.  There is no new agreement.  The option means that the school can extend his contract or just allow it to expire.  Think about this as the equivalent of the option that a major league baseball team often places at the conclusion of a veteran's contract.  If the team wants the player back, it executes the option.  If the team does not want the player back, it declines any action and thus cuts the player loose.  In this case, I fully expect that a decision will be rendered well before April 1.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »
1AA Fan, Slocum is done, it's over!  The Slocum era lasted years longer than it should have.   What qualities to do you like about this guy?  His 3-15 Horizon League Conference Tournament record, his teams among the worst every year in points allowed??/

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »
1AA Fan, Slocum is done, it's over!  The Slocum era lasted years longer than it should have.   What qualities to do you like about this guy?  His 3-15 Horizon League Conference Tournament record, his teams among the worst every year in points allowed??/
I'm ambivalent to MBB and it’s head coach, but I believe you are missing the major point of being a college HC when you say "what qualities do you like" and then list accomplishments.  When we talk about qualities, we should be looking at the men involved and the affect the HC has had on them, not tournament wins.  It's perfectly OK to say "Slocum is a bad guy and a bad coach" or "Slocum is a good guy but a bad coach."  But for me, confusing qualities and accomplishments is unfair to the man.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
 This is big time D-1 basketball.  Ok, let me say it like this, what accomplishments as a head coach over the past 12 years has justified Jerry Slocum being retained as our men's basketball coach?

I could care less if he goes to church, gives to charities, and is a nice guy, and he isn't a nice a guy.  The goal at this level is to win, and he has not come close to winning even at a mediocre level.

You think Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh. Rick Pitino and John Calipari are alter boys?  But they are successful because they win. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
This is big time D-1 basketball.  Ok, let me say it like this, what accomplishments as a head coach over the past 12 years has justified Jerry Slocum being retained as our men's basketball coach?

I could care less if he goes to church, gives to charities, and is a nice guy, and he isn't a nice a guy.  The goal at this level is to win, and he has not come close to winning even at a mediocre level.

You think Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh. Rick Pitino and John Calipari are alter boys?  But they are successful because they win.
You're the one who brought up qualities and I think going to church is a good quality.  My point, obviously wasted on you, was you are asking about qualities, but are clearly only interested in accomplishments.  Now you are besmirching the qualities of Meyer, Saban, Harbaugh et. al. without any evidence or substance "because they win."  Winning and quality of character are totally separate.  Coach K wins AND to every account has great qualities as well.  Whatever makes you thing these are mutually exclusive traits, I don’t know and don’t care, but I believe you are wrong.  Good grief, how in the world can a YSU fan think winning and high qualities are mutually exclusive when we have the poster boy for high quality AND high accomplishments in JT?

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »
 I am done on this debate after this.  I am a Bo Pelini fan, and he has done some very distasteful things, comments that are embarrassing.  But we all are on the train since we got to the national title game.

Also, Pitino is a sleaze ball, do a little digging, Harbaugh is a jerk by all accounts, and Meyer is cut throat to win. I could care less, win!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2017, 01:41:25 PM »
IAA Fan,

Actually, it is exactly what you do not want to hear.  There is no new agreement.  The option means that the school can extend his contract or just allow it to expire.  Think about this as the equivalent of the option that a major league baseball team often places at the conclusion of a veteran's contract.  If the team wants the player back, it executes the option.  If the team does not want the player back, it declines any action and thus cuts the player loose.  In this case, I fully expect that a decision will be rendered well before April 1.

I do not care either way, the reason I ask is that his contract was in it's final (optional) extension last year. He coached this year if he has an extension, so he had to have received a new agreement in order to have next year as an option. The new agreement must have been 2-years ago.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:45:46 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2017, 02:16:50 PM »
I am done on this debate after this.  I am a Bo Pelini fan, and he has done some very distasteful things, comments that are embarrassing.  But we all are on the train since we got to the national title game.

Also, Pitino is a sleaze ball, do a little digging, Harbaugh is a jerk by all accounts, and Meyer is cut throat to win. I could care less, win!
And you are entitled to your opinion, not matter how little you seem to care about the student athletes that give their all for YSU and the coaches they play for.  Bo's language could use a little cleaning up, but I have never heard anything negative involving him and his family, community, or players.  I would make the argument he is rude and crude, but having a lot of good qualities.   Jerk doesn't necessarily qualify as bad quality, as you say about Harbaugh.  Going all out to win is in my mind a good quality.  You clearly imply that it is a bad quality in Urban and I disagree with you (yet again), I think JT did everything he knew how to do to win, and did it with class, sticking up for his players, love of family, and giving back to his community.  All good qualities accompanying his unquestionable accomplishments. 
Good time for you to end the thread, as the English language, a superior intellect seems to have the better of you.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
I'm ambivalent to MBB and it’s head coach, but I believe you are missing the major point of being a college HC when you say "what qualities do you like" and then list accomplishments.  When we talk about qualities, we should be looking at the men involved and the affect the HC has had on them, not tournament wins.  It's perfectly OK to say "Slocum is a bad guy and a bad coach" or "Slocum is a good guy but a bad coach."  But for me, confusing qualities and accomplishments is unfair to the man.

+1 Go Guins. Very insightful logical argument here.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »
It's about wins and losses and bringing fans into the arena not any feel-good story. I pay money to see them win not what we have now. He needs to go