Author Topic: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM  (Read 69095 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
 Penguin Nation you nailed it!   Your post is accurate.  We also do everything 'cheap'.  I hear already the talk of paying a new coach $150,000 a year.  I realize this is good money for Youngstown, but it will still be the lowest paid in the HL.  Since we are hardly paying Pelini (he gets the Nebraska money) we have some additional money.

Only way you get a potential quality guy at $150 K is a young assistant who desires to be a head coach. It can happen, then you hope he is gone within 5 years, then you made the right hire.  He got the program turned around, then takes a bigger coach.

I would say Strollo's best hire was Coach Bolden with the women's program. He won, and he moved on.  Thats what happens at mid-majors.

What I do know for sure is Slocum needs to go.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
I'm telling you, if you offered the job to Rick McFadden he would take it.

Ties to this area obviously being from Struthers. He's been the recruiting coordinator for Akron for many years, a great assistant under Dambrot and a consistent 20+ win and NCAA tournament contender. His wife played basketball at YSU.

It all makes sense.... But Strollo and Co. will screw it up somehow I'm sure.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
 Chief, where do we sign up?  I would take Rick McFadden right now.  Been part of a winning program at Akron, he knows NE Ohio, has connections.

He appears to be an assistant coach on the way up.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »
Slocum was making 135K.  Raising the pay to 150k won't really help that much as far as attracting a talented, national pool of applicants.  Which is exactly why McFadden makes perfect sense.  He will come here for that money because of his local ties and the opportunity to run his own program.  It does not hurt that we actually have two players coming back (hopefully) that are worth something, so he would have some foundation.  But would any of you be willing to bet that our athletic director even gives this guy an interview?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »
I wound not bet on the two players coming back!

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »

Ties to this area obviously being from Struthers. He's been the recruiting coordinator for Akron for many years, a great assistant under Dambrot and a consistent 20+ win and NCAA tournament contender. His wife played basketball at YSU.

I know someone on the inside of the Akron basketball program and he said McFadden is begging for the YSU job. Hopefully it'll be his pretty soon.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 02:19:51 PM »

I know someone on the inside of the Akron basketball program and he said McFadden is begging for the YSU job. Hopefully it'll be his pretty soon.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. He wants to be here. Jerry looks and sounds like he'd rather be down in florida retired on the beach.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »

?? You would fire Slocum for a career back-up?? Struthers? Who cares? Robic and Slocum hail from basketball parts of America. Hire him ...Then what is going to happen, we get a natural short-term bump in a year or 2 simply because of the change & then it is misery once again. No thanks. We are a D1 program & I want someone better than what we have and "it ain't comin' for no $150k a year".

PS. Dean Hood is the considered the father of the 3-3-5 hybrid defense that is used all over the NFL today and we would have been lucky to have him as a DC or HC. (note I said DC). Do you realize how many big time collegiate and NFL teams visited him annually? He finished 1st or 2nd in the OVC in 5 of his 7-years (as HC) at EKU. Once under coach T (his first-year) and a couple of years under Heacock were the only times we have ever seen that. BTW, stop talking about the level of competition within other conferences. The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC, the conference just does not have quite the bottom as the MVFC. Furthermore, Hood was a fantastic recruiter at Wake Forest.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »
1AA your comments are hilarious. Slocum was a disaster, and F grade during his time year.  Why not an assistant who has been successful and part of a winning program a chance.  Most, if not many great head coaches worked their way up as assistants at quality programs.

Anyone, and I mean anyone would be an upgrade from a coach whose teams play NO defense, and he is also a miserable SOB.

As for Hood, are you serious?  His claim to fame is recruiting at Wake Forest?  That football program is lousy, even in a good year, they struggle to get to .500 and they play in a meaningless bowl game.   If Hood were any good, why didn't get another head coaching job?

As for competition, the MVC is the Big 10, and the OVC is the MAC.  They had one good team last year, Jacksonville State, and YSU buried them on their home field in the playoffs.  When has an OVC team made a run at a National Title on gone deep in the playoffs?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:49:14 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 03:14:56 PM »
I don't have an opinion on MBB coaches, but the question of hiring an assistant or hiring only experienced HC is silly.  What happens if Army didn't hire an unknown assistant from Indiana as HC back in 1975?  Yea, one Mike Krzyzewski  He had a good teacher in coach Knight and a connection to Army.  Seems to me that kind of parallels McFadden in a smaller scale.  We don't have much to sell in MBB at YSU.  Years of losing, and bottom tier payroll, so you don't draw the "hot" coaches.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC

LOL!  I'm now convinced you say outrageous stuff to increase traffic and provoke discussion.  Like this OVC thing, is so outlandish it's absolutely hilarious!  ;D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »
Regarding Hood, you absolutely never hire someone fired from an inferior institution. NFW. It is risky to even hire someone who succeeded at an inferior institution (like Slocum) due to the Peter principle.  McFadden comes from a successful program in a higher RPI conference, and better yet, he is their recruiting coordinator.  Unless he takes up a drug habit or something bizarre happens, the expectation is he'll continue his success at YSU.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 03:45:42 PM »
Regarding Hood, you absolutely never hire someone fired from an inferior institution. NFW. It is risky to even hire someone who succeeded at an inferior institution (like Slocum) due to the Peter principle.  McFadden comes from a successful program in a higher RPI conference, and better yet, he is their recruiting coordinator.  Unless he takes up a drug habit or something bizarre happens, the expectation is he'll continue his success at YSU.
I did here he told the ABJ that he was thinking of trying cocaine.  (That ought to fire up the already fired up IAA!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »

?? You would fire Slocum for a career back-up?? Struthers? Who cares? Robic and Slocum hail from basketball parts of America. Hire him ...Then what is going to happen, we get a natural short-term bump in a year or 2 simply because of the change & then it is misery once again. No thanks. We are a D1 program & I want someone better than what we have and "it ain't comin' for no $150k a year".

PS. Dean Hood is the considered the father of the 3-3-5 hybrid defense that is used all over the NFL today and we would have been lucky to have him as a DC or HC. (note I said DC). Do you realize how many big time collegiate and NFL teams visited him annually? He finished 1st or 2nd in the OVC in 5 of his 7-years (as HC) at EKU. Once under coach T (his first-year) and a couple of years under Heacock were the only times we have ever seen that. BTW, stop talking about the level of competition within other conferences. The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC, the conference just does not have quite the bottom as the MVFC. Furthermore, Hood was a fantastic recruiter at Wake Forest.

What does Dean Hood have to do with anything basketball ??? We have Bo Pelini, dear lord. Some of the comments you make on here are ridiculous. Hood was an average coach at an average program in an average conference. He's now an assistant coach at wait for it.... Charlotte!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
Slocum and all assistants need to go. Cancerous. The program is literally dead.