Author Topic: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM  (Read 68583 times)

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »
IAA: I think you meant to say jerry is out coached by many from the league. I'm really tired of losing seasons. It is time to move forward with new blood.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2017, 11:22:11 PM »
Upset victory over an Oakland team who chokes a lot in the tournament. Thank god for Morse. Still not enough to save Jerry in my eyes. Need a change.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2017, 11:33:21 PM »
When you have a prolific scorer, you always have a puncher's chance at beating a solid mid-major team on any given night.  And we did just that against Akron, Green Bay, and Oakland.  But when you play no defense it always catches up with you.  It is no accident that teams hit record numbers of threes against us, or that they make ridiculous numbers of uncontested layups against us.

Over a dozen years, Slocum won 38% of his games here.  This year he won 38% of his games here.  The powers at the university have a choice.  Retain Slocum and win 38% of our games inside an empty gym with widespread community apathy.  Or hire an ambitious, younger coach whose teams will play defense and at least produce a winning record at home. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
Or hire an ambitious, younger coach whose teams will play defense and at least produce a winning record at home.

Way too much assumption here Wick. Are you saying make this (along with grades) part of a new contract? If so I am in favor, but that is not going to be fair to any new coach. As to Cam, we all need to realize that it is the way that Slocum uses him that makes him so prolific. That will probably change ...which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
IAA Fan,

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.  Incorporate our expectations right into the contract of the basketball coach.  Here are three items to start:

Recruit real students who will not flunk out
Recruit players who want to be here and will remain for four years
By your third year, win at least half of your conference games and place a competitive team on the court

There are several dozen ambitious coaches who would accept those terms and welcome the challenge.  Why?  Because we actually have quite a bit to offer.

We now have nice amenities for our players, including the locker room, video room, and weight room.
We have an excellent academic support system that is an easy sell for parents.
We are the only college show in town.  Win and media coverage will not be an issue.
The Horizon League has slipped to low major status.  Success here is now possible, unlike five years ago.

In short, expect to win in basketball just like we do in football.  And what do we have to lose from trying this new approach?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
 IAA, time to give up on this thread. 
All logic, sanity, and realistic discussion is long since gone by the wayside!

Half of these guys could get part time jobs as writers for the POTUS' twitter account!

Perhaps somebody should look realisticly at graduation rates etc. for college MBB programs. I'd be willing to bet we are about average.  Brave new world out there guys.  Not better, just new.  Now truth be known, it is time for Slocum and YSU to go their separate ways, but remember, the prior 2-3 coaches to Jerry were worse.  The sports world is a sum zero game, not everybody is going to win 80% of their games and with MBB being virtually 1 tier, you are an the same footing that FB would be with everybody playing IA and YSU never having a chance to win much.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!