Author Topic: Patrick Pelini offered by NDSU  (Read 23873 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Pelini offered by NDSU
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
Bo's son Patrick who just finished his senior year at Cardinal Mooney has been offered a football scholly by the enemy, NDSU.... Thoughts ? Haha.

https://twitter.com/ppelini/status/820478656011268096
Good for Patrick..Was also offered by Illinois St..What are we waiting on ?

Why would we offer him? If he wants to play at YSU would he not go for free since his dad is employed by YSU?

If he does not want to play at YSU I would be shocked if he went to a school on our schedule.

you have to be on scholarship to play in games.

There is an entire FCS conference that is nonscholly, and some that are partial scholly.

If I understand it correctly, Patrick would automatically have a de facto "scholly" as his father is employed a YSU, but would have to pay student fees.  It wouldn't make sense to offer him a scholly...until after the 2018 season.  :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:32:40 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »
Bo's son Patrick who just finished his senior year at Cardinal Mooney has been offered a football scholly by the enemy, NDSU.... Thoughts ? Haha.

Why would we offer him? If he wants to play at YSU would he not go for free since his dad is employed by YSU?

If he does not want to play at YSU I would be shocked if he went to a school on our schedule.

Interesting, I wonder why
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »
I would be shocked if Patrick didn't give a verbal to N.D.S.U. very soon just my gut feeling

ValleyTalk

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »
I would be shocked if Patrick didn't give a verbal to N.D.S.U. very soon just my gut feeling
Can't disagree with this statement.

Offline Guinfan1990

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »

There is an entire FCS conference that is nonscholly, and some that are partial scholly.

If I understand it correctly, Patrick would automatically have a de facto "scholly" as his father is employed a YSU, but would have to pay student fees.  It wouldn't make sense to offer him a scholly...until after the 2018 season.  :D

Nope has to be an athletic scholarship. The rules obviously apply for those conferences with schools who cant hand out athletic scholarships, but thats not YSU, or ISU or NDSU's case.

He has to be on athletic scholarship to play at YSU, Period.

Offline Guinfan1990

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »

Interesting, I wonder why

Because then you could field a football team of 110+ kids and see them compete vs teams who can only get 50+ kids.  Gotta enforce the 63 scholarship rule some how.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 01:31:52 PM »
Faculty and staff (along with their immediate families) receive remission, which equates to no class fees and 20% off classroom accessories ...including books. I went to school under this program. They still have books, a smaller portion of their student fees (all general fees) and room/board to pay for. If am not mistaken, because of the number of schools abusing I-AA scholarships (aka Herdgate), the NCAA no longer allows scholarships to be split beyond 2 parts (half class and half room & board). They way to get partial is to live at home and have the school pay for the classes, or be smart enough to get academic scholarship then take your partial for room & board. However, once you are are playing, a player really wants to live on campus and hopes for a full ride. Of course, to truly compete against our MAC brothers, we have to offer full rides.

Although you would be surprised how many IA/FBS schools do not offer as much as we do. The difference being if the FBS school offers as much as single dollar in public scholarship to an athlete (at least in most sports, including football) it counts as a full scholarship.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »
My understanding is that we can split 63 scholarship equivalents amongst a maximum roster of 85 players (I think could have as many as 110 players in the spring that eventually needs to be trimmed to 85 by Fall).  I thought there were scenarios where walk-ons could play w/o a scholly, but could be wrong.

I don't know how we could have a scholarship advantage over a MAC (or any FBS) program where there are 85 FCOA for all players.  Eventually we need to offer FCOA (like we do for MBB and WBB) and a growing # of FCS and MVFC programs are.

1AA, I had to pay student fees, only had a tuition break, as a family member was on staff. So what you are describing must be a change since then.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Are you guys serious?  North Dakota State does not even recruit Ohio, and when they do, completely on their own they recruit Patrick Pelini, who is a marginal FCS player????

Same can be said about Illinois State.  Maybe, just maybe they come to NE Ohio, but unlikely.

Not one MAC school even looked at Pelini's kid.  Period.

He is a good kid, and good student, the investment is very little for any school.  He will get academic money.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:26:11 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 04:40:23 PM »
I am sure it has probably changed again Nation. I went to YSU in the mid-80's, I usually had to pay the $125 student fees (I know it is more like $750 now), none of the class fees (that was usually $35 - $75 a quarterly hour ...so that was a huge savings). If I used my ID I received 10% off books & supplies ...if I had my father get them for me (Faculty ID) it was 20% off. No discount on amenities such as food, parking, etc. Back then a full time student paid about $750 to $1,000 a quarter to attend YSU. I usually paid about $300 to $350, so I could afford it working only part time. I also went to work on campus, which gave me the ability to register for classes a week before anyone else. That was a lifesaver toward the end of my 4-years when the class selection was small.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
Are you guys serious?  North Dakota State does not even recruit Ohio, and when they do, completely on their own they recruit Patrick Pelini, who is a marginal FCS player????

Same can be said about Illinois State.  Maybe, just maybe they come to NE Ohio, but unlikely.

He is a good kid, and good student, the investment is very little for any school.  He will get academic money.

That was a move out of respect.  First class.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »

"He will get academic money"????  We are worried about how Patrick is going to pay for college unless he gets a scholarship of some kind?  Come on, his dad makes $4,000,000 a year!?!?!?!?  I think they can actually afford to pay if he doesn't get a scholarship!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
Coach McNutt's son plays for YSU.  Although not a HC (really not even an AD), Strollo's son is on the YSU MBB roster.  Choosing your school, and what the best fit is is a complicated one, but IMO it's a statement to bypass YSU for a league opponent. If he does, it's a small issue...but a statement...and not a good one.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
You guys are making too much of this. It is a move to draw attention to Patrick. If other schools see him receive an offer from NDSU ...it may help him get other offers.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
You guys are making too much of this. It is a move to draw attention to Patrick. If other schools see him receive an offer from NDSU ...it may help him get other offers.

This is exactly right.  They were showing respect.  That is way cool by NDSU.