Author Topic: YSU Men's Basketball win at GB  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Men's Basketball win at GB
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:13:50 AM »
Nice win for our men's team.  Really a strong effort to beat a team with a strong inside game which usually gets us.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Men's Basketball win at GB
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »
Nice win for our men's team.  Really a strong effort to beat a team with a strong inside game which usually gets us.
Yes, that was a good win for us on the road. The guards made some good penetrations to the basket with good interior passing to the big guys. However, our big guys needed to make the layup and draw the fouls.
Defense needs work.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:48:47 AM »
Defense is the foundation of every team sport.  On a given night, it is possible to outscore an opponent.  And we did that very well in the road wins at Wright State and now Green Bay.  But when you have a coaching staff with a philosophy that ignores defense, there is little chance for lasting and comprehensive success.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »
Now can we win at home?   We are better on the road than home.   Horizon league is down so no excuses to not win more

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
What do you guys think of Hartfield? He really got my attention last night.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 01:39:23 PM »

Love this kid.  Last night he made the defensive play of the year.   He was all by himself on a 3 on 1 and he blocked the shot on the layup attempt by WGB,gets the ball up court and  I think it was to Santiago who buried the three.  5 point turn around late in the game.  Not sure if he's a guard or a small forward but he has produced and his confidence is growing.  Great upside.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »

Love this kid.  Last night he made the defensive play of the year.   He was all by himself on a 3 on 1 and he blocked the shot on the layup attempt by WGB,gets the ball up court and  I think it was to Santiago who buried the three.  5 point turn around late in the game.  Not sure if he's a guard or a small forward but he has produced and his confidence is growing.  Great upside.
That was really an amazing play. He single handedly stopped the 3-1 fast break. Not only did he block the layup without committing the foul, he also grabbed the rebound and started the fast break resulting in the 3 point shot by Santiago that eventually won the game.

He never gave up on the play in spite of the 3-1 disadvantage. I did not see the reaction of their HC. He had to be going nuts. Obviously, their guy should have passed the ball off the the 2 guys wide open under the basket. I am sure he thought he could dunk over Harfield.

It was lucky that Santiago made the shot since we did not have anybody under the basket for the rebound.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
early in the game they could not buy a basket.  credit to them for hanging around

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
Defense is the foundation of every team sport.  On a given night, it is possible to outscore an opponent.  And we did that very well in the road wins at Wright State and now Green Bay.  But when you have a coaching staff with a philosophy that ignores defense, there is little chance for lasting and comprehensive success.

Amen

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »
I thought it was a great win.  Last time YSU won at Green Bay was 2003 & I think I heard it's only the 2nd win in 21 games.

I agree the play of the game was the block by Hartfield.  That was a huge momentum shift.  He has been tremendous this year for a freshman especially the last few games.  Hopefully he can stay at YSU for his career.

Every time it looks like the season is going the way YSU has stepped up a gotten big wins.  You just hope this can start some momentum.  They need to take care of business at Milwaukee Sunday and no reason not to be able to beat Cleveland State next Saturday. 

There's definitely inconsistency with this team.  They've had big wins against Akron and come from behind road wins against Wright State & now Green Bay.  Also nice last minute wins against Robert Morris and Niagara, but losses to Canisus, American, UIC & Detroit have been ugly. 

It's tough to see Donlan struggling so much this year.  I think I heard he was sick too last night.  Rahim Williams started the season with promise and his ankle injury has been tough.  I think he's supposed to be back next weekend.  I think Brett Frantz has really stepped up this year with Donlan struggling and had a great game Friday night.  He just seems so much stronger & has played smarter than last year.  Also has been excellent from the foul line. 

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
Bret Franz really has stepped up as of late.  Those foul shots at the end saved the game.  Hartfield is a real find and looks really good.  If we had strong bigs, we could be really good this year.