Author Topic: GROVE: YSU’s defenders score highest on report card  (Read 23140 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
GROVE: YSU’s defenders score highest on report card
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:11:34 AM »
The final exam in Frisco, Texas, has been taken and grades are in for this year’s Youngstown State football team.

offense

Grade: B

Overall: As much slack as the offense rightly took when YSU was unable to find the end zone with any consistency throughout the middle of the season, this unit had tons of achievements to hang their hats on, including a new school record 394 rushing yards in their first game. At the end of the regular season, the quarterback play of once fourth-stringer Hunter Wells was on full display in a 65-20 win at Missouri State and it was mainly the offense winning huge playoff games at Jacksonville State and Eastern Washington.

Despite four different quarterbacks and suspensions to running back Martin Ruiz and wide receiver Darien Townsend in the playoffs, this unit came together nicely by season’s end.

Quarterback

Who’s gone: Possibly Trent Hosick as he attempts to recover from a broken collarbone.

Who’s returning: Hunter Wells, Ricky Davis, Nathan Mays.

Grade: B-

Overall: Injuries and turnover at the position hurts this grade more than anything. Davis was mostly effective at the beginning of the season as he battled through concussions while it was Wells who grew up quickly midway through the season to lead the team through the playoffs. When the offense was struggling to move the ball, it was mainly because of the quarterback play. But when the offense was dangerous late in the year, it was because Wells was hitting his stride.

Running Back

Who’s gone: Jody Webb, Ruiz.

Who’s returning: Tevin McCaster, Joe Alessi, Devon McNutt, London Person.

Grade: A.

Overall: By far the best offensive unit this year. The two-headed monster of Webb and Ruiz was unstoppable for most defenses and the occasional great game from McCaster made the transition to lean on Webb more a smooth transition once Ruiz was suspended. The experience McCaster gained will be invaluable to the YSU offense next year as he’ll be the only returner with significant experience.

Tight Ends

Who’s gone: Jacob Wood.

Who’s returning: Kevin Rader, Shane Kuhn, Anthony Parente.

Grade: A

Overall: Whether it was helping out in the run game, or being the easy, open target when wide receivers were having trouble getting open, the tight ends were dependable and steady all year long for an offense that was constantly changing in every other area. The catch by Rader to win the FCS semifinal didn’t hurt this grade.

wide receivers

Who’s gone: Nobody.

Who’s returning: Damoun Paterson, Alvin Bailey, Robert Byrd, I’Tavious Harvin, Isiah Scott, Stefan Derrick, Jermiah Braswell, Townsend, Donovan McWilson, Zack Torbert, Lasander Washington, Ryan Emans, Samuel St. Surin, Brad Good, Tre’von Williams, Darius Shackleford

Grade: C+

Overall: The grade might be a little harsh considering this is the unit that was most affected by all the turnover at quarterback. But there were flashes of what players like Bailey and Patterson could become at games like West Virginia, Jacksonville State and Missouri State. A full offseason and fall camp with consistency at quarterback will do wonders for a talented group.

offensive line

Who’s gone: Brock Eisenhuth, Dylan Colucci.

Who’s returning: Jarred Jones, Gavin Wiggins, Justin Spencer, Norman Fox, Connor Sharp, Cameron Fraser, James Wilson, Jacob Zinni, Jason Simx, Jeff Rotherham, Cole Newsome, Vitas Hrynkiewicz, Cole McHenry.

Grade: A-

Overall: This group not only opened up gaping holes for the running backs all year, but had to learn how to play together during a fall camp when the team was trying to pick between four quarterbacks. The injuries at quarterback kept the level of difficulty high. But this group was consistent despite all the inconsistency on the scoreboard.

Defense

Overall: The YSU defense performed and then some this year. From holding Robert Morris to negative rushing yards to holding opposing offenses to well below season averages on a weekly basis, this unit picked up three-and-outs like the Browns picked up losses. When the offense couldn’t find the end zone, it was the defense that you could credit for wins over Indiana State and Northern Iowa.

Defensive Line

Who’s gone: Joshmere Dawson, Avery Moss, Derek Rivers, Rickey Hagood.

Who’s returning: Jamal Smith, Johnson Louigene, Shereif Bynum, Savon Smith, Justin Metzel, Giacamo Cappabianca, Simon Smith, Cody Squiric, Lamont Ragland, Wesley Thompson, Donald Mesier, Fazson Chapman.

Grade: A+

Overall: Rivers and Moss were monsters all year to opposing offenses while defensive tackles Mesier, Savon Smith and Squiric were black holes to opposing run games. This unit was able to consistently make life easier for the rest of the defense by shutting down running attacks and then going after the quarterback once teams abandoned the run.

Linebackers

Who’s gone: Jamar Pinnock, Jaylin Kelly, Cole Kochman.

Who’s returning: Jonathan Pollock, Lee Wright, Nathan Pittman, Malachi Newell, Christian Randall-Posey, Curtis Parks, Armand Dellovade.

Grade: A-

Overall: Dellovade, only a sophomore, led the Penguins in tackles and the unit executed at a high level despite losing Wright for the regular season before seamlessly fitting him back into the lineup for the playoffs. This unit was able to blitz effectively thanks to the double teams the defensive line forced and was able to play pass defense when blitzing wasn’t necessary.

Secondary

Who’s gone: Eric Thompson, LeRoy Alexander, Kenny Bishop, Nate Dortch, Jameel Smith, David Rivers III.

Who’s returning: Kyle Hegedus, Solomon Warfield, Avery Larkin, Jalyn Powell, Billy Nicoe Hurst, D.J. Thomas, Chrispin Lee, Darius Hall, Kieran Winn, Mike Nash, Logan Rhea.

Grade: B

Overall: This unit probably gave up more passing yards due to teams abandoning the run so often. The secondary was susceptible to the deep ball against West Virginia, South Dakota State and Eastern Washington, and gave away momentum in critical moments. Having to go up against EWU’s passing game without Alexander or Smith due to suspensions didn’t help matters. But overall, this unit performed adequately.

Special Teams

Who’s gone: Nobody.

Who’s returning: Nate Needham, Connor McFadden, Steven Wethli, Mark Schuler, Zak Kennedy.

Grade: C

Overall: Schuler was excellent throughout the season, averaging 42.5 yards per punt as a freshman and Townsend’s punt return won the Indiana State game. But Kennedy was consistently inconsistent making 16-19 field goals from 39 or fewer yards and was 3-10 from 40 yards away or more and nearly cost the team the Wofford win in the FCS quarterfinals. Two field goals were blocked and a blocked punt in the National Championship game came at the worst possible moment.

Coaching

Overall: You’d be hard pressed to find a coaching staff who had to deal with more throughout a season. From four different quarterbacks, suspensions to five significant starters and an inconsistent offense, the coaching staff was able to keep this team focused and ready to play each week. Lesser coaching staffs would have gotten a lot less out of this team

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/jan/15/defenders-score-highest-on-report-card/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: GROVE: YSU’s defenders score highest on report card
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
QBs - C at best.  Hunter improved a lot this year but his lack of mobility keeps him at C. 

DBs - also C at best.  With Alexander gone no real stud back there like JMU had.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:00:36 AM »
I'm not at all high on the DB's.  Alexander only "hitter" we had and coverage was marginal overall.
WR has big question marks about getting separation.  I didn't see much all season long against anybody with a decent D.
However, I am far higher than a C on Hunter.  Did anybody see this team getting to the NC game?  He made all the plays down the stretch but the "haters" just don't seem to care. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
Yea the grades are based on performance not athletic ability.  He was what 7-2 down the stretch and beat the 2 and 3 seeds on the road. You can't say the D bailed him out in those games.  We have posters on here that declared that if Hunter plays it would be an utter disaster and we would never make the play-offs. He was an elite 90 player and what do we get the sound of crickets.  I guess performance always silence the "haters"! 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
I also could care very little less than someone's assesment of last year's team.  I really care about NEXT year's team.  Looks like our 2 best recruits are DE's (1 recruit, 1 transfer)  Boy, do we need DEs! 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
However, I am far higher than a C on Hunter.  Did anybody see this team getting to the NC game?  He made all the plays down the stretch but the "haters" just don't seem to care. 

Do McCaster and Webb know Wells "made all the plays"?  :D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 02:17:01 PM »

No more than Rivers and Moss know it.  For those haters too dumb to figure it out on their own, when referring to Hunter making "all the plays" I am referring to plays at QB, which is the position he plays. 
I’ll tell you what, Webb, McCaster, Rivers and Moss all know without Wells stepping up and putting his uniform back on and stepping back on the field after being trashed by the coaching staff, they would have all been at home watching the playoffs on ESPN3.
Interesting that the haters who questioned Hunter's manhood for not running more, have been suspiciously quiet during our playoff run.  I guess watching Hunter tuck and run for some key 1st downs during the last 5 games had shut them up a bit.  Don't get me wrong, "run" is a word you should use judiciously when describing Wells, maybe "amble" would be better?  But the guy made the plays and only the most virulent haters won't recognize his accomplishments.

Offline Ytowndomn8s

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:28:46 PM »
The good new DE is a Cleveland area transfer from the OVC.  His name is Steven Pappadakes and he is 6'4" 260 and fast!  He had to sit out due to NCAA transfer, but practiced all fall and looks to be really good! 

Here is his high school HUDL video:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2794926/5721eb309a91677e74b9b866

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »
I like most of the grades.

I am not as high on our Defense as he and most of you, as we really lack balance in my opinion and many opposing strategists (at least early on), let Rivers and Moss become bigger than they are. That is a good thing for Rivers, Moss and the YSU defense. However, by the end of the season, coaches knew what to do and it was play right at our DE. If coach Carl brought in the run support, just fire the ball down field, or if he did not, then run crossing roots or run the ball. I also felt we were under-prepared for Samford. I think another year of recruiting will do nicely in correcting the need to move players around like that.

Special teams needs to heal and to work. I like that we saw focus on it, but this is a year too late and I am not certain we have a qualified coach. Maybe we do not need one and another spring and summer will be enough? I think the skilled players are fine and hopefully will heal up over the next couple of months.

Offense. The last couple of games showed how much we needed Ruiz. He simply is a rare breed of back that is small/fast enough to get to the next level and also strong enough to play in the MVFC. I fear we go into 2017 needing two backs to accomplish this; maybe a much more traditional offense may be in order. Maybe coach Montgomery and coach Nic can find another Marcus Mason out there. Also we were just getting close to having enough line depth & now we lose Brock and Dylan. Lot's of recruiting needed this year and it may be a few JUCO's that keep us going next year. It would be nice if coach Nic has some connections in GA and AL for us and can bring size and speed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:21:55 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »
I also could care very little less than someone's assesment of last year's team.  I really care about NEXT year's team.  Looks like our 2 best recruits are DE's (1 recruit, 1 transfer)  Boy, do we need DEs!

I also the LB transfer from Rutgers. Who redshirted last year

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »

No more than Rivers and Moss know it.  For those haters too dumb to figure it out on their own, when referring to Hunter making "all the plays" I am referring to plays at QB, which is the position he plays. 
I’ll tell you what, Webb, McCaster, Rivers and Moss all know without Wells stepping up and putting his uniform back on and stepping back on the field after being trashed by the coaching staff, they would have all been at home watching the playoffs on ESPN3.
Interesting that the haters who questioned Hunter's manhood for not running more, have been suspiciously quiet during our playoff run.  I guess watching Hunter tuck and run for some key 1st downs during the last 5 games had shut them up a bit.  Don't get me wrong, "run" is a word you should use judiciously when describing Wells, maybe "amble" would be better?  But the guy made the plays and only the most virulent haters won't recognize his accomplishments.
Just a side note..The quarterbacks they are looking to sign this year out of high school are true Pro style / Pocket passers very similar to Wells. The one player the staff is very high on is Joe Craycraft from Marion Pleasant..He is a mirror image of Wells coming out of high school..Tall and slender and not really known as a dual threat
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:09:08 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »

Jonathan Pollock.  Hard to get too high on a 3 star 1-A national recruit that can't win a roster spot at 1-AA  I'd guess the 6'-0" is probably a couple inches more than actual.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 03:14:57 PM »

Jonathan Pollock.  Hard to get too high on a 3 star 1-A national recruit that can't win a roster spot at 1-AA  I'd guess the 6'-0" is probably a couple inches more than actual.

He sat the first two games because of allegations with Rutgers. Then before he was scheduled to play at West Virginia he got a bad concussion that forced him to miss 4 weeks of practice. Hence the red shirt. But I'm sure you knew that

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 03:27:22 PM »

He sat the first two games because of allegations with Rutgers. Then before he was scheduled to play at West Virginia he got a bad concussion that forced him to miss 4 weeks of practice. Hence the red shirt. But I'm sure you knew that
Nope, I don't track transfers that can't win roster spots.  We've seen dozens over the years and every so often one really steps up and helps (Moss), but most never do.  The issues they have somewhere else seem to follow them around.  (IE Alexander who played great for a season and 1/2 before reverting go his old self or the all-world TE Louis Irizarry who never did anything on the field)

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »

Nope, I don't track transfers that can't win roster spots.  We've seen dozens over the years and every so often one really steps up and helps (Moss), but most never do.  The issues they have somewhere else seem to follow them around.  (IE Alexander who played great for a season and 1/2 before reverting go his old self or the all-world TE Louis Irizarry who never did anything on the field)

I think you are being overly judgmental on a 18 year old kid without knowing there whole story. You have no idea why he transferred. He did win a roster spot and I have told you why he didn't play this past season. I look at who he was offered from in high school. This young man had over 14 D1 offers. He was committed to Mississippi State. Then switched to Rutgers before there previous staff was let go. He was a early High School graduate and choose YSU over D1 schools so he could play close to his family. I will take 20 of those kids every year