Author Topic: Future Football Schedules  (Read 25217 times)

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Future Football Schedules
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 10:21:29 PM »
Here's my take on reading all of the posts:
Why would any of the Mac schools in Ohio schedule YSU ?
It's a no win situation for them.  If they win, everyone would say well your suppose to win your FBS after all.  But if they loose, they loose a lot more than a football game. They could lose potential recruits that would have gone to their school but now would rather play for the FCS school in state.

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »
It's a no win situation for them.  If they win, everyone would say well your suppose to win your FBS after all.  But if they loose, they loose a lot more than a football game. They could lose potential recruits that would have gone to their school but now would rather play for the FCS school in state.

I faintly remember the days when the NCAA seemed to care about its minimum attendance standards for FBS/1-A schools. If they don't enforce that anymore, it really takes away leverage we would have to have them schedule us. I mean an Akron-YSU game at Infocision would probably be one of their best attended games of the season. Back then it could have made the difference when looking at average attendance.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150913/NEWS/309139997/ncaas-out-of-date-football-attendance-mandate-makes-it-difficult

There's an article discussing the very topic of minimum attendance.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:27:41 PM by supermario21 »

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »

I faintly remember the days when the NCAA seemed to care about its minimum attendance standards for FBS/1-A schools. If they don't enforce that anymore, it really takes away leverage we would have to have them schedule us. I mean an Akron-YSU game at Infocision would probably be one of their best attended games of the season. Back then it could have made the difference when looking at average attendance.

I totally agree with you

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 10:43:17 PM »
Would we be willing to do 2 road games for 1 home game? Would Akron or Kent? Maybe we should just suck it up and beat them regardless of where the game is at.

Allow me to think about it, .............. NO! Heck if/when we ever do a home/home with Akron, The first game is here. 
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 10:44:49 PM »
It is the arrogance and stupidity of Akron and Kent that prevents those schools from engaging in intelligent ooc scheduling in the early fall.  They will not offer home and home games with us, yet they pay out a bunch of money to play weak FCS teams in front of about 2,000 fans in perfect September weather.  This should be a "no-brainer" in which all three schools in northeastern Ohio win.  Akron and Kent would actually get over 10,000 fans, butts in seats, into their stadiums for ooc games once every two years.  YSU would not even need the blood game against a real FBS team.  Our schedule could consist of a home tune-up game with the NEC, then Akron and Kent, one at home and one on the road.  Six home games and plenty of money from the MAC guarantee and the larger crowd for the MAC home game.

But it will not happen.  Kent and Akron cling to the ridiculous principle that they must be equal to Ohio State or Alabama since they are in the same NCAA classification.  That makes about as much sense as YSU claiming that they are the equal of Duke because our basketball team is, technically, at the same level.

We are all SECOND TIER programs in football and basketball, regardless of any formal classification.  We understand that perfectly well; the delusional MAC schools cannot seem to grasp that irrevocable truth.

Nation, I will tell you straight out.  If YSU ever gets on its knees and agrees to play only road football games at MAC schools, I will immediately stop my rather substantial donation to our school.  That is how strongly I feel about this issue.  I know that I am not alone in that point of view.

Well said, I agree

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
I am with Wick and Guinpen on this one.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 09:51:39 AM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Replace Kennesaw State in this article with YSU ( http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/10/kent-state-alabama-fcs-schools-future-schedules/ ).  We would receive $615k/2 years from our closest geographic opponent on our schedule those years.  A home and home is an even trade where no $$ change hands, but we make ~$200k/home game.  So over the course of two years, wouldn't we lose out on a net of $415k/2 years by not playing at Kent?  If we agreed to a similar arrangement with Akron, add $615k/2 years (no need to subtract $200k as P5 games are away) and we'd make $1.03M/2 years....with games fans would care about and we'd expect to win.  We'd actually have a true rivalry game again.  Imagine the hype.

There's no expectation of a home and homes from NEC teams who play us, who are also FCS, but we expect it from FBS schools?  It's inconsistent, stubborn, and makes no sense. When they drop to FCS, and they will, then of course we'd expect a home/home.  There's no FBS school we've ever expected a home/home with.  That stubbornness is preventing us from having games that would excite fans, and establish YSU as the dominant program in NEO (actually I'd be happy with any MAC opponent, not just the locals).  As was said, maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 is a good compromise.  I like Wick's idea of our 11 game season OOC games being 2 MAC/1 NEC, although my ideal OOC schedule would be 1 NEC/1 P5/1 MAC. For 12 game seasons, there is no excuse not to include a MAC away game.

Kent was beat by a MEAC school.  I agree that it'd be foolish to schedule us, except they'd have their highest paid attendance numbers of the season.  NDSU is really struggling to get FBS opponents now.  But if they're willing, let's go beat them in their house and take their $$$$.

No matter what happens, the 2-3 OOC NEC/1AAA games need to stop.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:41:45 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Replace Kennesaw State in this article with YSU ( http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/10/kent-state-alabama-fcs-schools-future-schedules/ ).  We would receive $615k/2 years from our closest geographic opponent on our schedule those years.  A home and home is an even trade where no $$ change hands, but we make ~$200k/home game.  So over the course of two years, wouldn't we lose out on a net of $415k/2 years by not playing at Kent?  If we agreed to a similar arrangement with Akron, add $615k/2 years (no need to subtract $200k as P5 games are away) and we'd make $1.03M/2 years....with games fans would care about and we'd expect to win.  We'd actually have a true rivalry game again.  Imagine the hype.

There's no expectation of a home and homes from NEC teams who play us, who are also FCS, but we expect it from FBS schools?  It's inconsistent, stubborn, and makes no sense. When they drop to FCS, and they will, then of course we'd expect a home/home.  There's no FBS school we've ever expected a home/home with.  That stubbornness is preventing us from having games that would excite fans, and establish YSU as the dominant program in NEO (actually I'd be happy with any MAC opponent, not just the locals).  As was said, maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 is a good compromise.  I like Wick's idea of our 11 game season OOC games being 2 MAC/1 NEC, although my ideal OOC schedule would be 1 NEC/1 P5/1 MAC. For 12 game seasons, there is no excuse not to include a MAC away game.

Kent was beat by a MEAC school.  I agree that it'd be foolish to schedule us, except they'd have their highest paid attendance numbers of the season.  NDSU is really struggling to get FBS opponents now.  But if they're willing, let's go beat them in their house and take their $$$$.

No matter what happens, the 2-3 OOC NEC/1AAA games need to stop.

Very very simple, it is a matter of principal. I have a long memory

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
All of the Akron-hate is because Faust chose Akron over YSU after leaving Notre Dame, and after we kicked his a--, he said YSU shouldn't even be on their schedule?  Or is their unworthiness of calling themselves FBS?

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »
All of the Akron-hate is because Faust chose Akron over YSU after leaving Notre Dame, and after we kicked his a--, he said YSU shouldn't even be on their schedule?  Or is their unworthiness of calling themselves FBS?

Strike one ..........  Strike two ............

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 05:19:26 PM »
as for a 2019 cash game in bus ride distance, Marshall has an opening. As does Virginia

Would be be willing to do a cash game @ App State ?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »
as for a 2019 cash game in bus ride distance, Marshall has an opening. As does Virginia

1. Virginia
2. Marshall
3. Appy

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »
I am with Gy=uinpen. The worst part was the accusation of poaching players. I also thin that you guys need to keep the current season in mind ...it is recruiting season. You are a recruit fro outside the area. Do you want a MAC school? Nope. How would you like to be the Cleveland area kid that chose YSU over BG or UT, then we turn around a lose to them?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 08:58:40 AM »
Final Sagarin ratings:

67  Youngstown State

138  Akron
153  Kent State
182  Buffalo

Only two MAC teams ranked higher than YSU, both in the West:

21  Western Michigan
52  Toledo

Our 2016 NEC OOC opponents:

163  Duquesne
231  Robert Morris
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:02:03 AM by Penguin Nation »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »

1. Virginia
2. Marshall
3. Appy

Appalachian State has a great campus and stadium environment.   I vote yes on that one, same with Marshall.