Author Topic: Ice Castle Club Level?  (Read 28020 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Ice Castle Club Level?
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:19:24 PM »
Renovations on the East stands are scheduled to begin soon to create a new press box, which would open new loges atop the West stands and increase loge revenue.

Why not include a club level as part of the East stand renovations?  Look at this video of JMU's club level created during their recent renovations five years ago:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwja9eaWuLPRAhVH5oMKHfe4AagQtwIIKjAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8Bl03lDXHKw&usg=AFQjCNF20yKT0-Ue4J9NklquSkcV9B1lWg

It doesn't have to be as extravagant as that, but what if a climate-controlled section was created with a few perks...comfortable seating, dedicated restrooms, and a dedicated bar and limited buffet?  If there is such a waiting list for far more costly loges, wouldn't there be a demand for this?  Wouldn't it bring out fans who are willing to spring more $$, but otherwise won't go to a game and sit in a cold rain?  Especially after the success of this season?

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Ice Castle Club Level?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
I like the idea and we have the elevator; but I am not certain club seats would have to be climate controlled ...what do you think about something more similar to traditional box seating? The idea would be more room to sit. From what I see in the stadium reference, we already have over twice the number of loges as Bridgeforth. Now if we converted the lower level to club, you are right, I think we would generate more revenue, as we would charge per seat or section ....where I think loges are per loge. I cannot see YSU giving up any loges for it though. What if it does not sell?

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
I think more premium seating, even at the expense of overall seating capacity would be worth it. The days of 20,000 people at Stambaugh are long gone. Doing something to update the stadium, generate lots more revenue, and make the fan experience better would be worth it IMO. Maybe the athletic department/penguin club could put out floaters to see what kind of interest there would be along with a hypothetical cost.

And after attending the MSU-OSU game in East Lansing in the club section, climate-controlled seating would absolutely be worth it. Especially considering how attendance seems to tail off toward the end of the season, even when the games are against marquee opponents.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
I like the idea and we have the elevator; but I am not certain club seats would have to be climate controlled ...what do you think about something more similar to traditional box seating? The idea would be more room to sit. From what I see in the stadium reference, we already have over twice the number of loges as Bridgeforth. Now if we converted the lower level to club, you are right, I think we would generate more revenue, as we would charge per seat or section ....where I think loges are per loge. I cannot see YSU giving up any loges for it though. What if it does not sell?

There is a wide spectrum of possibilities from a simple glass enclosed section with 50 seats to, well, what Bridgeforth has.  The investment made would be dependent upon perceived demand.  IMO, based on loge demand, there definitely would be a market.  Once built, the market would drive the rates.  If demand is low, the price would have to reflect that.  Initially I'd have low introductory rates.  My suspicion is that once a fan experiences Penguin football in a comfortable and warm environment, they may never go back to wearing ponchos and long johns.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:04:42 PM »
I would have to know how many seats would fit in a loge, then do the math. The seats would have to be about 4" wider than the current chair-back and maybe even padded. I, along with the rest of America, am getting fatter.

We could convert a couple of the lower loges just to see how it sells and the cost would be minimal. At least the labor. Like these club seats, the media section is really loges divided up and amenities removed. All of this once we expand of course. If any of you have ever been up, to a post-game or any reason, to the 4th floor of Stambaugh ...you would see it is VERY nice. Really quite impressive actually. I have been to two Penguin games in a loge. One with a private group and the other I won in a Penguin Club raffle. They treated us very well.

Offline Dukester

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
I would have to know how many seats would fit in a loge, then do the math. The seats would have to be about 4" wider than the current chair-back and maybe even padded. I, along with the rest of America, am getting fatter.

We could convert a couple of the lower loges just to see how it sells and the cost would be minimal. At least the labor. Like these club seats, the media section is really loges divided up and amenities removed. All of this once we expand of course. If any of you have ever been up, to a post-game or any reason, to the 4th floor of Stambaugh ...you would see it is VERY nice. Really quite impressive actually. I have been to two Penguin games in a loge. One with a private group and the other I won in a Penguin Club raffle. They treated us very well.

They charge a lot for our club seats.  it's 125 a game, but you need to donate 2,250 in order to get the opportunity to pay for two 125 seats.  It included two alcohol drinks and unlimited everything else from buffet, ice cream, soft drinks.....

1,000 seats at 125 each - or using my JMU math $125,000 a game.  From what I understand it cost over half that to operate it each game.  It is first class.  What you get is better than both the Washington Redskins Club, and Washington Nationals Club areas. 

But somehow we can't move to 1A?   :-[

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »
Isn't the whole reason of building the new press box is to open more room for club and loge seating ? They are moving all radio, tv and press over to the east side.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »

They charge a lot for our club seats.  it's 125 a game, but you need to donate 2,250 in order to get the opportunity to pay for two 125 seats.  It included two alcohol drinks and unlimited everything else from buffet, ice cream, soft drinks.....

1,000 seats at 125 each - or using my JMU math $125,000 a game.  From what I understand it cost over half that to operate it each game.  It is first class.  What you get is better than both the Washington Redskins Club, and Washington Nationals Club areas. 

Move.  Please.  Move.  No body cares about your programmar on here.  Go play with your streamers.

Offline Dukester

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »

Move.  Please.  Move.  No body cares about your programmar on here.  Go play with your streamers.

I guess I can see why there is so much inter-fighting on here.  I'll take my "programmar" somewhere else once I figure out what it is.  ;) 

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
I would say Dukester is fine.  I saw nothing wrong with what was said.  I would hope he would stay.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »
Isn't the whole reason of building the new press box is to open more room for club and loge seating ? They are moving all radio, tv and press over to the east side.

My understanding is that the plan is to simply create more loges, not a club section.  Loges are cost prohibitive to >99% of Penguin fans and are usually purchased by corporations, at least that's my understanding.  Short of that, one could pay $5k/year and get two loge seats ( http://ysusports.com/penguin_club/membership_levels ), which would be the closest thing we have to a club section.

What Dukester is describing would be like upgrading to First Class on a flight.  It's a luxury to enhance the experience, and affordable to far more ppl than renting a private jet.  I'd pay the entry fee and $125/seat in a heartbeat, but not much more.  I think it'd increase attendance, interest, gameday experience, and revenue for the University.

I guess I can see why there is so much inter-fighting on here.  I'll take my "programmar" somewhere else once I figure out what it is.  ;) 

My wife is JMU grad, and I am a damn picky fella.  Thanks for your input on this thread and congrats on an epic season.

Offline Dukester

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 02:52:56 PM »

My understanding is that the plan is to simply create more loges, not a club section.  Loges are cost prohibitive to >99% of Penguin fans and are usually purchased by corporations, at least that's my understanding.  Short of that, one could pay $5k/year and get two loge seats ( http://ysusports.com/penguin_club/membership_levels ), which would be the closest thing we have to a club section.

What Dukester is describing would be like upgrading to First Class on a flight.  It's a luxury to enhance the experience, and affordable to far more ppl than renting a private jet.  I'd pay the entry fee and $125/seat in a heartbeat, but not much more.  I think it'd increase attendance, interest, gameday experience, and revenue for the University.

My wife is JMU grad, and I am a damn picky fella.  Thanks for your input on this thread and congrats on an epic season.

I doubt you'd go to this extreme - but we're told this is part of the reason we were outbid for the playoffs a couple years.  We were told a loss on the club was factored into our bid. 

One common complaint from non club fans is the outside seats are frequently empty because the club seat holders are inside utilizing all the club benefits.  But lets be real, we all know on message boards people will complain about everything - I'm guilty of that at time too.   ;)

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »
I would say Dukester is fine.  I saw nothing wrong with what was said.  I would hope he would stay.
I agree--I'm about as far from being a JMU fan as there is but find nothing wrong or derogatory about his post. ???

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »
I doubt you'd go to this extreme - but we're told this is part of the reason we were outbid for the playoffs a couple years.  We were told a loss on the club was factored into our bid. 

One common complaint from non club fans is the outside seats are frequently empty because the club seat holders are inside utilizing all the club benefits.  But lets be real, we all know on message boards people will complain about everything - I'm guilty of that at time too.   ;)

if there is a 3-score lead on a NEC team, I'm prolly headed back in for more tacos and beer.  :D  I'm not sure what difference it makes if they are in or out.  Our loge patrons are always in. 

You'd know better than I would but my guess is that the club and rest of the expansion was with an eye on upgrading to the FBS.

Offline Dukester

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »

if there is a 3-score lead on a NEC team, I'm prolly headed back in for more tacos and beer.  :D  I'm not sure what difference it makes if they are in or out.  Our loge patrons are always in. 

You'd know better than I would but my guess is that the club and rest of the expansion was with an eye on upgrading to the FBS.

That's what the fans thought.   Not that many of your posters would care, but what was gut wrenching to us is our instate Rival ODU (for basketball) went from no football to 1A in four years about 5 years ago.    Then this year our government in VA decided to pass a law limiting amount of student fees that could be used for sports that makes it even harder for us to make the move.  We got a new president about 3 years ago that does not really see the importance of 1A football, although you can't miss him at most of the big football events that including College Game and the SMU win last year, as well at the NC championship.  Our facilities are better than 1/3rd of 1A.  You'd think that would point us to 1A - but we've watched conference mates GaState, ODU move after only 5 years in 1A.  UMass left for the MAC.  Coastal Carolina is now moving up.  ASU and GSU successfully moved up a couple years ago.  For some reason we can't figure out how to do it.

The conversation on our boards is what's better - Minor Bowls or Playoffs?   I see both sides, but I'd rather be 1A with a good year being ranked in the top 25.   Give me a shot to be Western Michigan and in the Cotton Bowl.