Author Topic: Football only post-game talk  (Read 26792 times)

Offline Dukester

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football only post-game talk
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »
It was nice visiting with you guys again this last few weeks.  Surprised my login still worked since 2006 :D

I want to compliment you guys on the support you brought.  It appeared to me to be around 3,500. You filled in the one quarter pretty well. You fans were very nice.   It was more than I was expecting based on what I read on here.  I'd guess you may of had an additional 1,000 more if things were handled well.

I guess from your side you'd say if not for the turnovers, and what if you won the TO battle?  To me it looked like it was over by early in the 2nd quarter.   I'm not sure why we never passed in the second half.  Our third TD we took the ball down the field with 3 long passes.  I guess Houston felt you could not score on our defense so why take any chances?

I think the game came down to your offense could not do much against our defense.    We seemed to be to be a little quicker.  I felt your defense played championship caliber, but your offense struggled.   Other than one meaningful drive in the second quarter your offense was not much of a threat

You guys traveled a lot through the playoffs, but I think the 3 weeks off would of neutralized that.  You were missing more lost due to suspensions.  Not sure how much difference that would of made. 

We both had great years and no reason to think next year we won't both have the same opportunity.   You never know, NDSU may not get back to the NC for awhile.  One advantage you have over us is Bo will likely have more longevity at YSU than Mike Houston will at JMU.  I'm hoping Mike returns next year, but if we lost what I considered a bad coach last year to Texas State, how does anyone in 1A not take Mike Houston?    :P

I have a feeling our two programs should be pretty strong for the near future.  Good luck next year, and beat up NDSU enough they don't get all those home playoff games.

I'm sure you guys had a ton of great moments this year getting to the NC, but that catch to beat EW was the play of the playoffs.  Truly amazing.  I've never seen anything like it and for it to be the final play to go to the championship?  Doesn't get much better than that. 

8)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:16:53 PM by Dukester »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
Thanks Dukester, you sound like a class act!  Let's enjoy this year and hopefully a better next season!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 06:04:27 PM »
Thanks Dukester, I think Huston stays for a while, unless he takes an assistants position. I see him as the kind guy who would rather be a big fish in a smaller sea. That is unless he takes a mid-major program right away. I just don't see that. I mean Tressel moving from I-AA to IA was a very rare thing ...at least at that level. He had other non-coaching qualities that OSU was looking for. he was an AD for 5-years and he was very focused on player education. He had tremendous in-state and Florida recruiting connections. He is an Ohio guy, with 15-years as a head-coach at Youngstown ...not a couple. in the 10-years of the 90's (he was hired at OSU in 1999) YSU had 6 play-off appearances, winning 4 titles. He is also a former OSU assistant.

With the expansion of the play-off in IA/FBS, I do see coaches with play-off experience being sought after though & Huston has it.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »
I waited two days to read the messages, and I am pleasantly surprised that the atmosphere is far less toxic than I had expected.  Obviously we lost the game during the first eight minutes.  And our offensive line got outright dominated all afternoon, something that I did not expect and something that no team can usually overcome. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
I waited two days to read the messages, and I am pleasantly surprised that the atmosphere is far less toxic than I had expected.  Obviously we lost the game during the first eight minutes.  And our offensive line got outright dominated all afternoon, something that I did not expect and something that no team can usually overcome.

I felt the 3 week layoff hurt us.  I also thought that we could have had success up the middle if we gave it some time and remained patient. 

My thoughts are that if we don't make mistakes the game become a defensive battle similar to McNeese in 1997.  Same type of game to me, except we made so many mistakes.  By the way, I think the equipment manager needs a talking to.......where were the grass cleats?  I thought that the slipping and sliding, while appearing on be minor, was a major factor for Webb and Wells.  Maybe the OL too who knows but it didn't seem to affect them as bad as us.  Maybe their equipment manager chose better cleats.  It certainly was a factor.  Garbage field.  Also when the ball bounces off someone's foot and and gets picked, it's not your day
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:17:48 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 07:00:49 PM »

I felt the 3 week layoff hurt us.  I also thought that we could have had success up the middle if we gave it some time and remained patient. 

My thoughts are that if we don't make mistakes the game become a defensive battle similar to McNeely in 1997.  Same type of game to me, except we made soany mistakeS.  By the way, I think the equipment manager needs a talking to.......where were the grass cleats?  I thought that the sliding and sliding, while appearing on be minor, was a major factor for Webb and Wells.  Maybe the OL.? Who knows but it didn't seem to affect them as bad as us.  Maybe theit equipment manager chose better cleats.  It certainly was a factor.  Garbage field.  Also when the ball bounces off someone's foot and and gets picked, it's not your day

Two awesome new points Power. The turf looked terrible and we had two bounces right into JMU hands. Almost something you would see on a bloopers how. Do you think we could have done more up the middle with Webb and McCaster ....missing Ruiz?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
I was with Penguinpower at the game.  I also felt the power game between the tackles would have neutralized their athleticism and speed.  I also felt we could have made some plays throwing the ball upfield. It was their for the taking.  I felt the layoff hurt us.  We lost our edge because of it. We were in fire and those 3 weeks cooled it. Their fans were rude for the most part and that made the game worse.  I been to all the Championship games and the Frisco set-up is Mickey Mouse.  Playing in a soccer stadium is an insult to the FCS and the facility didn't have a proper scoreboard.  The field wasn't covered.  No Security .  It was a joke.  Texas has better HS stadiums than what we had to play in.  Anyways that's a different thread.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »

My thoughts are that if we don't make mistakes the game become a defensive battle similar to McNeely in 1997.  Same type of game to me, except we made soany mistakeS.  By the way, I think the equipment manager needs a talking to.......where were the grass cleats?  I thought that the sliding and sliding, while appearing on be minor, was a major factor for Webb and Wells.  Maybe the OL.? Who knows but it didn't seem to affect them as bad as us.  Maybe theit equipment manager chose better cleats.  It certainly was a factor.  Garbage field.  Also when the ball bounces off someone's foot and and gets picked, it's not your day

Two awesome new points Power. The turf looked terrible and we had two bounces right into JMU hands. Almost something you would see on a bloopers how. Do you think we could have done more up the middle with Webb and McCaster ....missing Ruiz?

They were soft in the middle.  NDSU ran straight at them and that is how they came back with 17 unanswered points.  We didn't stick with it.  We decided to throw and run outside on them.  I think we should have went to power I and pounded the them in the middle. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 09:49:26 AM »
Being down 14 early really hurt the game plan. Also, the first possession of the 2nd half with the INT was a killer.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »
Pete on a Stick Thoughts:

Did anyone think playing on grass was an issue?  I thought the field was not great.  Very thin turf.  Not making excuses but I think our timing was off and we were a step off.  I know JMU has speed - but not that much more than us.  I remember when we used to play teams on grass, they used to practice on the field that is now the WATTS center to get ready.  Hard to do in January but I just think it is a different game on grass instead of turf. Does anyone think that the grass had something to do with the bad snaps? 

Also...I attended the game...I would say we had 2500-3000 there.  11:00 is a ridiculously stupid time for a game but the NFL owns Sundays and now Saturdays during the playoffs.  I agree with the stadium - nice facility but not built for football - scoreboard and replay were pathetic.  The PA announcer was obnoxious!  "A rookery of Penguins on the tackle???""  WTF was that?  Not very professional.  I would imagine the NCAA will not allow projectiles (streamers)  in the stadium again if JMU makes it.  They were throwing them down onto the field at our players and team meetings on the sidelines.  Strollo went off on an NCAA official and they brought about 5 security and police over to the area to watch the stands.  That was BS. 

After watching a replay of the game - several dropped balls early cost us.  Wells delivered a strike on a deep ball on a third down right in the hands of Scott ( I think) and it went through the wickets.  We missed Ruiz!  We missed Alexander! We missed Smith!  We missed Patterson!  There is no doubt in my mind  - JMU does not get those deep balls on us if they are there.  Ruiz would have given us the needed inside running game!  Patterson was our best WR and PR all year.  Selfish!!  The wheel route for a TD by JMU tight end would have been covered - our new guys looked confused.  Obviously the special teams killed us.  There was actually a bad snap on the EP after the first TD - I am not sure how Kennedy even kicked it??  The Oline play was not there.  Again..was the grass an issue...seems like they could not get off the ball like they normally do.  One more thing...the two times Pelini went crazy is when JMU had 12 players on the field and ran one off while they were in formation.  The coaches and players got confused on defensive formations and had to call timeouts...That was BS!  That helped get JMU out of the endzone area on that drive. 

Overall - it was one of the greatest runs at an NC I have seen by a team.  They never quit.  They never gave up.  That was all Pelini getting the kids to play all 4 quarters and get mentally tougher.  I am excited about the future!!

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »
Great post and nice seeing you there Stick.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 11:57:39 PM »
Pete, you felt the PA announcer was obnoxious huh? I actually found his changing the name of the grouping of penguins getting Abdullah to be quite humorous. Colony, rookery, host, plethora were all words he used. Must have had a thesaurus on him.

I agree with you regarding missing the suspended players. I agree with you regarding the start time being dumb and having 2500 to 3k. I was disappointed about not having a proper football scoreboard. I couldn't even tell except by mental note how many timeouts each team had. Also, the grass definitely seemed to hurt both sides. The grass field looked like it was getting torn up in clumps too by the cleats. and I could see that from 23 rows up!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 05:59:33 AM »
Pete, you felt the PA announcer was obnoxious huh? I actually found his changing the name of the grouping of penguins getting Abdullah to be quite humorous. Colony, rookery, host, plethora were all words he used. Must have had a thesaurus on him.

I agree with you regarding missing the suspended players. I agree with you regarding the start time being dumb and having 2500 to 3k. I was disappointed about not having a proper football scoreboard. I couldn't even tell except by mental note how many timeouts each team had. Also, the grass definitely seemed to hurt both sides. The grass field looked like it was getting torn up in clumps too by the cleats. and I could see that from 23 rows up!

I also thought the PA announcer was a tool.  He was obnoxious and loved to hear himself talk over the loudspeaker.  WTF is happening to football?  Half the people are on their phones snap chatting and taking selfies etc.  PA announcer used the word matriculation to describe a TDC run my JMU and his use of the word was literally incorrect, but half the dumb ass people didn't know the definition anyway....
.they repeated what he said like 2 year old son.  I swear people are getting dumber and dumber.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
I could tell on TV that he was odd & a young bad voice. Sounded like a kid doing HS sports or bad local semi-pro team radio announcer. Kind of a Homer. As if he knows the background of all the players. PA announcers forget that we are looking at the game ... we do not need to be told what we just saw it is not radio. Tell us the essentials ...ball carrier or receiver name, player changes, down and distance of play & remaining in the series. That is about it. On injuries I like to hear who is down, but some teams do not like that; they say it makes more stress on the injured player.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »
I got word that theyou had their grass cleats on for the game, but the field had new sod added and the top of the field was frozen.  It didn't unthaw until the second half, but it wasn't rooted so it just came up every time they tried to cut.  It was a real problem for our athletes