Author Topic: Football only post-game talk  (Read 26957 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Football only post-game talk
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »
The box score does not show the Mays completion...did I hallucinate that play?

The only one I saw was behind the line. There is no way we could afford Mays to throw in this game. When he is in, they brought in (or over) a DE. Great time to have had Ruiz up-the-middle though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:52:43 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »

The only one I saw was behind the line. There is no way we could afford Mays to throw in this game. When he is in, they brought in (or over) a DE. Great time to have had Ruiz up-the-middle though.

Mays in 2016 is 11-18-1 for a/c/i and has a completion % similar to Wells at 61.1.  This is what they did with Davis in 2015.  When 2015 Davis or late-season 2016-7 Mays went in, we telegraphed a rushing play.  Davis once said he heard the Defenses say out loud, "they're going to run."  Similar to having a QB who can't run, you shouldn't have a QB who can't be trusted with the pass....but that's not the case w/ Mays IMO.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:24:14 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
(Penguin Nation)  what are you Ricky Bobby, if you don't finish first you are last.  No one is happy they lost.  The fact is they had a great season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
(Penguin Nation)  what are you Ricky Bobby, if you don't finish first you are last.  No one is happy they lost.  The fact is they had a great season.

They had the tools to wear their new jewelry to the White House.....and meet Melania.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

ytowngirl

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
It's the media's job to question, turn over stones, and even piss people off if necessary (it's almost always necessary).  The local media is the University's lapdog.  Feeble coverage of ticketgate, and almost zero coverage of Slocumgate.  IDK the background, but if a member of the media actually did their job.....then kudos to them...and the rest of the local media should rally around them.

That's because the local Youngstown media probably doesn't want to step on toes.  That's why they are only in Youngstown the bottom barrel of news station areas.  They do no investigative reporting like most new stations do.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »

Mays in 2016 is 11-18-1 for a/c/i and has a completion % similar to Wells at 61.1.  This is what they did with Davis in 2015.  When 2015 Davis or late-season 2016-7 Mays went in, we telegraphed a rushing play.  Davis once said he heard the Defenses say out loud, "they're going to run."  Similar to having a QB who can't run, you shouldn't have a QB who can't be trusted with the pass....but that's not the case w/ Mays IMO.

I do not think that is the case with Ricky anymore either. Mays is still a few games away from taking the team. Maybe even a full year and the line is not up to the task of a running QB. We have seen this already. It is really an entirely new offense at that point and we will not have as effective of a run game. Nice to talk about though. I like the idea of Wells in 2017, with some increased use of Mays. If there is anything nice about this game is that JMU's balance exposed some things that I think will help us in the post-season and against SDSU to help us take the conference, this includes some weaknesses with Bo (although to his credit he fixed most of them). I am very excited to see how the off-season goes, it it already well into January.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:27:34 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »

I do not think that is the case with Ricky anymore either. Mays is still a few games away from taking the team. Maybe even a full year and the line is not up to the task of a running QB. We have seen this already. It is really an entirely new offense at that point and we will not have as effective of a run game. Nice to talk about though. I like the idea of Wells in 2017, with some increased use of Mays. If there is anything nice about this game is that JMU's balance exposed some things that I think will help us in the post-season and against SDSU to help us take the conference, this includes some weaknesses with Bo (although to his credit he fixed most of them). I am very excited to see how the off-season goes, it it already well into January.

It's an achilles heel to lack elusiveness and escapability at QB when you are playing a defense able to penetrate the pocket like NDSU and JMU.  It's tough enough to get yardage, let alone overcome consistently negative yardage at the QB spot.  I'm not talking about tucking and running every play...just making a gain out of an otherwise busted play.  Wells have had modest improvement in that regard in the post-season, especially versus EWU, but it's always going to be a liability. Bo is gone after 2018, but if he's looking at 2019, Mays would be a Senior with a full skill set and years of experience.  Mays running a few token plays/game is better than nothing...but I'd seriously consider committing to his future as a Penguin.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:54:19 PM by Penguin Nation »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »

It's an achilles heal to lack elusiveness and escapability at QB when you are playing a defense able to penetrate the pocket like NDSU and JMU.  It's tough enough to get yardage, let alone overcome consistently negative yardage at the QB spot.  I'm not talking about tucking and running every play...just making a gain out of an otherwise busted play.  Wells have had modest improvement in that regard in the post-season, especially versus EWU, but it's always going to be a liability. Bo is gone after 2018, but if he's looking at 2019, Mays would be a Senior with a full skill set and years of experience.  Mays running a few token plays/game is better than nothing...but I'd seriously consider committing to his future as a Penguin.

I will see if I can find the links for coach Carl and coach Shane's interviews from media day. I was either WKBN or WFMJ. They played part of it on the radio pregame as well. Mays taking the team this year was a more than serious thought for Bo and Shane. The decision was made for the seniors to make the push this year. They were very happy that Wells agreed to come back. Carl and Shane are both quite aware of what we are losing and how much rebuilding the team needs. I want the same thing as you on QB, but to me that is the ability to scramble ....not so much designed run plays, but the ability to get more time to read secondary and tertiary passing options. The reason I like Trent is he has the best ability to do this; but he lacks Wells' arm.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:09:12 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
So who's done?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:21:40 PM by penguinpower »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 07:17:41 PM »
We were 1 game away from winning it all and let's Trash Wells crap starts again.  We didn't lose because of Wells. Even more laughable is using stats that mean nothing.  Why don't you b**** about the poor special team play and the offensive line being schooled by the JMU Defensive line.  JMU was the better team yesterday. They went after our weakness the secondary with what 3 guys missing. Their QB was good nothing special.  This team fought all season and we almost did the impossible.  Let's focus on getting back to the playoffs next year.  Go Penguins.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 07:40:35 PM »
We were 1 game away from winning it all and let's Trash Wells crap starts again.  We didn't lose because of Wells. Even more laughable is using stats that mean nothing.  Why don't you b**** about the poor special team play and the offensive line being schooled by the JMU Defensive line.  JMU was the better team yesterday. They went after our weakness the secondary with what 3 guys missing. Their QB was good nothing special.  This team fought all season and we almost did the impossible.  Let's focus on getting back to the playoffs next year.  Go Penguins.

Could not be said any better. I am more worried about TB. Here are our seniors. Now this does not mean they the player is leaving, but most of these guys are graduating:

Eric Thompson   CB
Joshmere Dawson   DE
LeRoy Alexander   FS
Jamar Pinnock   LB
Kenny Bishop   CB
Nate Dortch   CB
Avery Moss   DE
Derek Rivers   DE
Jody Webb   TB
Jameel Smith   SS
Martin Ruiz   TB
David Rivers III   CB
Jaylin Kelly   LB
Brock Eisenhuth   OG
Dylan Colucci   OT
Jacob Wood   TE
Rickey Hagood II   DT

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »
Any word on how many YSU fans were at the game?  I never did get a chance to look while the game was going on.  Seemed to easily be 4k+ from all the Red/White I saw walking around. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »
Does coach Wolford get credit for recruiting most of these guys?   Not diminishing Bo's  success and how he molded this team to a great season.

Offline ysu2000

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
I was at the game and would guess 2,000-2,500 YSU fans.  I was also wondering how JMU fans got seats in section 126, which was sold through YSU

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
Does coach Wolford get credit for recruiting most of these guys?   Not diminishing Bo's  success and how he molded this team to a great season.

Good topic. Maybe we should even give it it's own thread? Here are my thoughts:

1. I do think the team over-achieved and this has to go to the current system and players.

2. I am very happy that coach Carm and coach Shane continued recruiting during the gap before Bo's hiring; very under appreciated.

3. On defense I really give all the credit to Bo and especially coach Carl.

Many of these guys are Wolf's, but less than I thought before you mentioned it. Then again, Wolf let his coaches recruit. I suspect Bo is much more hands-on; at least on defense. I also think Bo is really focusing on local product, which will be a long-term benefit to the program.