Author Topic: 2017 Recruiting class  (Read 114162 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Recruiting class
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »
My thoughts on the class.... A lot of red shirts coming, except for the JUCO kids and Durkin obviously. But some nice depth and kids who can make an impact. Like Chapman a lot at RB. Anderson can be a nice OLB if he puts on a little more size. I expect a few transfers coming in the spring/summer to fill out the rest of the scholarships.
Agree with what you say.  DEs NEEDED in a HUGE way, but most look like redshirts to me.  6-4 215 isn't going to get it.  Will be RS freshman in 2018 at 6-4 or 6-5 250-260 which will be much better.  Hope one or 2 is working to get to 240 or 250 by this fall for some depth.
Anybody have any idea who the two Bo says we are still waiting on one piece of paperwork before anouncing?

Sherrod Paige and Naz Batee Diggs.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »
My thoughts on the class.... A lot of red shirts coming, except for the JUCO kids and Durkin obviously. But some nice depth and kids who can make an impact. Like Chapman a lot at RB. Anderson can be a nice OLB if he puts on a little more size. I expect a few transfers coming in the spring/summer to fill out the rest of the scholarships.
Agree with what you say.  DEs NEEDED in a HUGE way, but most look like redshirts to me.  6-4 215 isn't going to get it.  Will be RS freshman in 2018 at 6-4 or 6-5 250-260 which will be much better.  Hope one or 2 is working to get to 240 or 250 by this fall for some depth.
Anybody have any idea who the two Bo says we are still waiting on one piece of paperwork before anouncing?

Thanks Chief,
They were both listed on the YSU website before the press conference so whatever was missing was as minor as Bo made it sound.
What is your opinion of the class?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »

Thanks Chief,
They were both listed on the YSU website before the press conference so whatever was missing was as minor as Bo made it sound.
What is your opinion of the class?

Some of each of their paperwork wasn't finished when Bo started his presser so he can't comment on the players until everything is finished... I like the class, but I don't see anybody who makes a real impact this year besides Durkin and the JUCO kids. Maybe Chapman and Anderson. I feel like they get at least 2 FBS transfers and another JUCO.

Offline Ytowndomn8s

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
We already have one quality DE transfer from another FCS school.  They thought they could get him cleared through the NCAA to play last year, but they gave him another year instead.  He is 6'4" 260 and fast.  I think he will help us next year.  His Hudl is:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2794926/5721eb309a91677e74b9b866

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
What happened to Colton McFadden?  Did he go elsewhere?

Full ride to Elon.  He is potentially a Sunday kicker, but not a huge need at YSU for at least 2 years.  Good luck Colton

He was offered by Elon, but it doesn't look like he accepted.  Elon has a kicker listed with their signing class, but it's not Paul's boy.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »
We already have one quality DE transfer from another FCS school.  They thought they could get him cleared through the NCAA to play last year, but they gave him another year instead.  He is 6'4" 260 and fast.  I think he will help us next year.  His Hudl is:

He came from Austin Peay. Good kid. Like his size

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »

Full ride to Elon.  He is potentially a Sunday kicker, but not a huge need at YSU for at least 2 years.  Good luck Colton

He was offered by Elon, but it doesn't look like he accepted.  Elon has a kicker listed with their signing class, but it's not Paul's boy.

That's correct he is not with Elon. He is waiting on signing. My sense is he signs here but who knows.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »

That's correct he is not with Elon. He is waiting on signing. My sense is he signs here but who knows.

That is actually a good sign that he is coming here. Someone correct me on this if I am wrong.  Colton enrolls here under his father's remission plan for academics and is offered preferred status for football. Then he has another year before his 5-years starts; or does preferred status start your playing clock?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »

I saw the Elon acceptance on Colton's twitter account, but it's not there now.  Must have changed his mind. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »

He came from Austin Peay. Good kid. Like his size
Finally 260#   should be ready to go and God knows, we need DE help!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
IAA Fan,

A player's five year eligibility clock starts with the first semester that he is enrolled in college.  Does not matter if he is an active member of the team or not.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
IAA Fan,

A player's five year eligibility clock starts with the first semester that he is enrolled in college.  Does not matter if he is an active member of the team or not.
That makes sense at least.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
How can these guys possibly be any good?  A former poster assured us that Bo could not recruit. :P
Is that the same one that predicted 6-5 at best and no playoffs? :o

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »
How can these guys possibly be any good?  A former poster assured us that Bo could not recruit. :P
Is that the same one that predicted 6-5 at best and no playoffs? :o
No playoffs for sure, but 6-5 sounds kind of high for him! 

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »
I've felt under the weather the last couple of weeks, but all in all I was very pleased with this year's class. There's lots of local kids and that's what coach Bo and the staff wants. It would have been nice to get a tall receiver and a defensive tackle, but maybe the staff will at a later date. The last I heard it was a toss up for the 6"5 WR from Fullerton between UAB and us. On a side note I noticed NDS and SDSU recruited a ton of WR's and TE's with incredible size. The Bison took 2 Qb's this year ( one is a 6"5 kid from Florida ) and their class came from 12 different states.