Author Topic: Buck Buchanan Award  (Read 4030 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Buck Buchanan Award
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »
I was disappointed to see that Derek Rivers didn't make the finalist list for the Buchanan Award.  Especially since Dylan Cole of Missouri State did.  Yes Cole made 19 total tackles against YSU, but at an average gain of 10+ yards per touch, what's the big deal?  Derek was doubled all season long and still did a great job and IMO deserves greater recognition!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Buck Buchanan Award
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
The SDSU game probably did him in.  No sacks or tackles the entire game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
The SDSU game probably did him in.  No sacks or tackles the entire game.
Can't argue that, but still, you watch that hot mess of a D in MSU and say "award winner"??  Give me a break, we ran for 575 YARDS on them and he gets credit for 19 tackles?  NOT very impressive 10 yards downfield. 
IF we get to xDSU again, it will be very interesting to see this O against them vs. our midseason O.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »
He's also been banged up all season but has yet to miss a game. Shows how much of a warrior and leader Mr. Rivers is. Glad he's on our team!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »
He's also been banged up all season but has yet to miss a game. Shows how much of a warrior and leader Mr. Rivers is. Glad he's on our team!
I wonder what full pad scrimmages are like with him vs. Justin Spencer.  At 315 and who knows, I suspect Derek runs around him about as fast as he does the guys on Saturday?   I’ll bet they know!   At least he doesn't hit our QB like he does Saturday.  That picture of him dumping the QB from Saturday is a classic.