Author Topic: Wofford.  (Read 43751 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wofford.
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
Sound, fundamental football!  Take it to them early and often and make them come  out of their game plan!  All the faith and confidence in the Pelini brothers to get this defense prepared for the offense they are running.  I think Montgomery is really stepping it up and getting the offense prepared lately. 

GO GUINS!
This is the best I've felt about the coaching staff as a whole in a number of years. I'm very confident in their ability to have the team ready on a weekly basis and the players responding to what they want done

ytowngirl

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »
I wish we could come.  Thank god for ESPN3.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »
https://youtu.be/9QSmhMVDx1I  Hype video for Wofford..These just get better each week !!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
Terriers have not given up a 100 yard rusher all season long. Strength vs Strength I would say... Wonder if Coach Tress has any tips for Bo since his team in 96 beat this same Wofford offense.

I remember that game well. I never had an doubt about the outcome, but we really never could pull away from them. It was really a pound & grind affair. Adrian Brown days. I do not remember if Heacock was still DC, but we simply overpowered them. They jumped on us fast, but were not used to the physical nature of our D back then and had several fumbles. The reason that I remember it was because we all wondered if Brown or Cottom was going to be the starter for us at TB. Of course Adrian Brown became so prolific.

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »
It was 95 when Wofford played its first season at the 1-AA level.  Same head coach and offensive coordinator then and now, just a slightly different version of the triple option. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:08:05 PM by 94Terrier »

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »
Things got a little interesting in the last day or so.  Evan Jacks, the 5th year SR who was slated to start the season at QB, had been practicing with the team for a few weeks, and is now medically cleared for full contact.  He's been practicing all week and may play.  Goodson, the 3rd string JR, is questionable but has been practicing.  Newman, the true FR 4th stringer, still practicing.  We went from having a RB (who was a HS QB) being the backup to having 3 options.  From a fan standpoint, I really don't know who I want to start.  It would be good for Jacks to start his season in the quarters of the playoffs, but I'm sure his timing is off.  Goodson has practically led us to this point all season, but with the high ankle sprain, will be limited on his cutting.  Having Newman as the starter having taken limited snaps all season, doesn't have the experience, but has the WOW factor.  Come on, Saturday!

Go Terriers!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »
Similar scenario for us Terrier We began the season with:
1. Davis: Junior, Backup- for last 2 years
2. Hosick: Junior (just transferred from BYU having never played)
3. Mays: RS Frosh (recruited by YSU)
4. Wells: Junior (had been a starter for the previous 1.5 seasons).

Bo wanted to change the offense and did not want Wells (limited to no running ability), so he had our OC go out and recruit Hosick. However, Davis could also run and moved ahead of Hosick in summer. Davis went down and Hosick stepped up. Hosick broke his collar bone (major so there will be no return this year). Mays stepped in and was very admirable and clearly has talent. Wells refused to play as he had taken a red-shirt year and received approval to transfer. Finally Bo and the OC had some discussion and Bo realized the offense is not built around a running QB ...they asked Wells to return to the team and he agreed. Wells has been the starter for the past 5-weeks. He has steadily making up for his 11-months off and is really getting back up to game form.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
Terrier our offense has averaged around 48 points the last 3 games. We got very little production from our top two running backs Webb and Ruiz the first 7 games. Teams just loaded up the box (on all 3 Qb's ) and we had difficulty doing much of anything in the passing game and it affected our running game. I think it forced our quarterback Davis to run more then the staff would have liked. Teams have respected Wells more in the passing game (not as many players in the box) and Webb and Ruiz have flurished because of it. The offense is just taking what the defense gives them (JSU paid dearly) and it's a good problem to have. Both Davis and Mays have the ability to throw on the run. Bo said in his press conference that your defense is very sound and doesn't show alot of different looks. I look for you guys to disguise coverages and blitz more then normal. Wells is a pretty smart player and has seen just about everything. He is doing a good job of managing the game and not turning the ball over and that's what the staff wants from him
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:38:02 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2016, 09:07:35 PM »
Any injury update
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2016, 09:38:30 AM »
I hear that Wofford will be in Ohio today and tomorrow to practice in this weather

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2016, 10:44:44 AM »
I hear that Wofford will be in Ohio today and tomorrow to practice in this weather

Wonder where they are practicing at ?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »

I can't help but wonder how they are paying for all this?  This is a SMALL school, and they don't sell enough tickets to pay for athletics.  Must be DAMN expensive to attend!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2016, 12:11:34 PM »
Last home game this week no matter what.  EW and Richmond outbid us for next round already.

EW is seeded so they don't have to bid.  I am surprised that Richmond outbid YSU.  Their stadium capacity is 8,700, and they only drew 3,300 for their first round match up.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2016, 12:33:15 PM »

I can't help but wonder how they are paying for all this?  This is a SMALL school, and they don't sell enough tickets to pay for athletics.  Must be DAMN expensive to attend!

It's not like they're broke lol.