Author Topic: Wofford.  (Read 43692 times)

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wofford.
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 10:30:52 AM »
Unfortunately I will not be able to make it.  Being a single dad to 2 boys, both of which are active in sports, limits the personal activities on the weekends. 

I don't think you'll fine us "crying" about being down to the 4th string QB.  It's next man up.  Our 4th string true freshman QB entered a road payoff game in the second half, having only played a handful of snaps in the regular season, and led our team to victory, and an opportunity to advance further into the playoffs. If there's any crying, it's tears of joy for the obstacles this team has overcome this year.  We had 1 player who had to be brought back to life on the sidelines at Miss St, with an undiagnosed heart condition. We had another player whose career was cut short after a fractured vertebrae in his neck, and probably should have been paralyzed, but thanks to a great medical staff lives to walk another day.  I know every team has injuries to overcome, but this team rallied around those guys, laced 'em up, and used that as motivation.  Next man up.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
94Terrier, glad to see somebody taking parenting seriously.  Wish you luck and success.  One thing you have to look forward to it Terrier games WITH the kids as the grow to young adults.  My brother and I were never very close growing up, but have really found common ground with YSU football, and we still tailgate with his electrical engineering study group from YSU!  We are both alumni. 
Are you class of 94 from Wofford?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
Unfortunately I will not be able to make it.  Being a single dad to 2 boys, both of which are active in sports, limits the personal activities on the weekends. 

I don't think you'll fine us "crying" about being down to the 4th string QB.  It's next man up.  Our 4th string true freshman QB entered a road payoff game in the second half, having only played a handful of snaps in the regular season, and led our team to victory, and an opportunity to advance further into the playoffs. If there's any crying, it's tears of joy for the obstacles this team has overcome this year.  We had 1 player who had to be brought back to life on the sidelines at Miss St, with an undiagnosed heart condition. We had another player whose career was cut short after a fractured vertebrae in his neck, and probably should have been paralyzed, but thanks to a great medical staff lives to walk another day.  I know every team has injuries to overcome, but this team rallied around those guys, laced 'em up, and used that as motivation.  Next man up.

I saw some of your game, I have no idea why he was 4th string other than loyalty to upper classmen. They didn't do much of anything with the other kid. I had the volume off, watching on a laptop with another game on TV (yeah I know  :o ) so I didn't hear any of the reports on the QB situation. I may have seen 2 of them play before the freshman if you're number 2 started. They really got a boost halfway through the 4th.

It seemed to me that it was a defensive struggle between 2 teams that knew the triple, and each other, very well. I can't recall the last time we saw that offense. Only GSU in the title game we lost comes to mind but there has to be more recent.

It should be a fun game. You'll get your yards, especially if we insist on running cover 2 all game like we did at JSU, despite knowing they would run up the middle constantly for nice gains. FB belly should be there unless we make some serious changes. I don't know how Carl Pelini fared against the last triple team he faced elsewhere as DC.

It sounds like you guys have been put through the ringer so to speak. It speaks nicely of your guys character to keep fighting and pulling one out there last week.

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »
94Terrier, glad to see somebody taking parenting seriously.  Wish you luck and success.  One thing you have to look forward to it Terrier games WITH the kids as the grow to young adults.  My brother and I were never very close growing up, but have really found common ground with YSU football, and we still tailgate with his electrical engineering study group from YSU!  We are both alumni. 
Are you class of 94 from Wofford?

Absolutely.  We try to make it to a game or 2 each year.  Their weekend schedules are as hectic as my work week schedule.  Fortunately, the stars align a time or 2 during the season that allows us to take in a game.  I am a member of the Class of 94. 

HP, you pretty much nailed it.  The offense if very finicky and detailed. We run multiple sets out of the sme formation.  The first 2 QBs were both seniors, and Goodson is a Jr.  We were really hoping to redshirt Newman.  He went down in a game midway thru the year and we burned the redshirt.  Even then, he didn't take many snaps under center the rest of the year.  He's probably the most athletic of the 4.  Don't know much about his arm, but his legs know how to motor and churn.  He missed a wide open TE on a crossing route against the Bellhops, but then delivered a strike later in the game.  Time will tell.  Can't rule out that Goodson plays Saturday, but those high ankle sprains are tricky, especially in our offense where there are lots of cuts to make.

Go Terriers!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »

Absolutely.  We try to make it to a game or 2 each year.  Their weekend schedules are as hectic as my work week schedule.  Fortunately, the stars align a time or 2 during the season that allows us to take in a game.  I am a member of the Class of 94. 

HP, you pretty much nailed it.  The offense if very finicky and detailed. We run multiple sets out of the sme formation.  The first 2 QBs were both seniors, and Goodson is a Jr.  We were really hoping to redshirt Newman.  He went down in a game midway thru the year and we burned the redshirt.  Even then, he didn't take many snaps under center the rest of the year.  He's probably the most athletic of the 4.  Don't know much about his arm, but his legs know how to motor and churn.  He missed a wide open TE on a crossing route against the Bellhops, but then delivered a strike later in the game.  Time will tell.  Can't rule out that Goodson plays Saturday, but those high ankle sprains are tricky, especially in our offense where there are lots of cuts to make.

Go Terriers!
My brother and are are from the mid 70's so you are about my kids age.  Everybody looks at the QB, but it looks to me this game, like almost every game, will boil down to OLs vs DLs and turnovers.  We've been pretty sloppy with the ball during most of the season, but have really tightened that up last in the season and the playoffs.  Looking pretty cold for gametime and although we pretend that is in our favor, we haven't played in a sub-freezing game for a long time either.   Certainly none of these players while at YSU and we have 23 players from FL, AZ, CA, GA, and SC.  As I said earlier, this should be a close, hardfought battle. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:45:23 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »
Anybody know the status of Squiric ? He's been out the last 2 games and being a big 300+ pound DT, gonna need him this week to stuff up the middle.

Offline crabbyterrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 05:53:06 PM »
what would be the best airport to fly into?

Offline ysufratrat23

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
I would suggest Pittsburgh, which is an 1 hour away or Akron-Canton, which is an 1.25 hours away.
Cleveland is 90 minutes or more.

Offline crabbyterrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »
thanks!
Looking forward to the game! Gonna be a good one!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/SEisbergWCIV/status/805251535601016832 Much respect for their Head coach and the adversity Wofford has faced

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 11:04:02 PM »
After watching those two videos Fever, I have to say, I have a lot of respect for their head coach and the Wofford team. Eager to play against them in a clean game of football, as they are a very respectful and worthy foe!

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 01:20:26 AM »
YO Show, I must say, Mike Ayers makes everyone who dons the Old Gold and Black very proud to e a Terrier.  I didn't play football, but I have to say I'd break down walls for that man.  He's no-nonsense in his approach to coaching.  He's about the student first, and the athlete second.  He realizes that most likely, his players will not be playing on Sundays, therefore the lessons these young men learn on the field translate to the real world.  When the team wins, he praises his players for their efforts and preparation.  When they lose, he and his staff shoulder the blame for not getting the team prepared.  He is quick to praise the opponents.  If you hang around after the game, you will notice that the entire team will remain on the field, win or lose, and give respect to the opposition in the playing of their alma mater.

Earlier this year, against a conference foe, one of our starting o-line was late for the game, because he had to drive 2 1/2 hours to take the LSAT. He got there in the second quarter and was inserted into the lineup.  First question Ayers asked him was how he did on the test. 

If there ere more coaches like Ayers, the world of college athletics would e a much better organization, and truly about the student, not the athlete.

Go Terriers!

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 08:39:11 AM »
YO Show, I must say, Mike Ayers makes everyone who dons the Old Gold and Black very proud to e a Terrier.  I didn't play football, but I have to say I'd break down walls for that man.  He's no-nonsense in his approach to coaching.  He's about the student first, and the athlete second.  He realizes that most likely, his players will not be playing on Sundays, therefore the lessons these young men learn on the field translate to the real world.  When the team wins, he praises his players for their efforts and preparation.  When they lose, he and his staff shoulder the blame for not getting the team prepared.  He is quick to praise the opponents.  If you hang around after the game, you will notice that the entire team will remain on the field, win or lose, and give respect to the opposition in the playing of their alma mater.

Earlier this year, against a conference foe, one of our starting o-line was late for the game, because he had to drive 2 1/2 hours to take the LSAT. He got there in the second quarter and was inserted into the lineup.  First question Ayers asked him was how he did on the test. 

If there ere more coaches like Ayers, the world of college athletics would e a much better organization, and truly about the student, not the athlete.

Go Terriers!

Awesome +1

Z

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 09:01:08 AM »

Go Terriers!
I'm sure you are right, but you might not want this story to get out.  You lose guys like that to bigger schools!
Nice to hear nice guys can finish first.  We know completely what you are talking about at YSU, as we have the poster boy for "students first" in Jim Tressel, who lead us to 4 national championships before leading Ohio State to one and now is back at YSU as our President!  Doing a remarkable job at that too!
Good luck, hope you finish a respectably second on Saturday! 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:06:43 PM by IAA Fan »