Author Topic: Wofford.  (Read 43691 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wofford.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 12:03:03 AM »
A Southern team coming here with next Saturday's forecast indicating a pleasant and balmy 32 degrees.  I love it.  And better yet they must use that fourth string freshman quarterback who is about 15% of the threat that Jenkins was today. 

I almost feel for SDSU (not really.)  They win a co-share of the conference title and the automatic bid, and thanks to NCAA regionalization, they get to go to Fargo for the quarterfinals.  Unseeded and mostly unloved, we get a home game on the same weekend against Wofford.  I guess regionalization can be wonderful if you get placed in the "southern" bracket.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 07:38:24 AM »
I expect a dogfight
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
The Youngstown State football team will return to Stambaugh Stadium on Saturday, Dec. 10 when they play host to Wofford in the FCS Playoff Quarterfinals. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.

Information Regarding Quarterfinal Game:

Tickets available for online sales Sunday at 2 p.m. Link to buy tickets: Purchase Here

YSU Athletic Ticket Office hours

Monday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    Tuesday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    Thursday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    Friday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    Saturday: 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

Prices
$5 YSU students
$18 Reserved in advance / $20 on gameday
$25 Chairbacks
Penguin Club and season-ticket holders have until 6 p.m. on Wednesday to buy their seats before they are released to the public
Tailgate passes $25

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »
I expect a dogfight
Hope its a pitbull against a terrier :P

Offline stlfn1107

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 02:29:14 PM »
Any idea who to call about the tailgate passes? Seems the tickets line goes to the school's general info line.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
Any idea who to call about the tailgate passes? Seems the tickets line goes to the school's general info line.

They will not be open today. The NCAA allows tickets to start at 2p on the first day after the last game ends. So it is 2:40 & you can go on-line and buy now. They will be open tomorrow, through noon Saturday.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 04:14:42 PM »
The injured player was Johnson Louigene backup DE - he is in concussion protocol - with him and Moss now questionable we are hurting at the DE position - kind of worried about that with the triple option coming into town.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
A lot of tickets being sold today. Hundreds gone in the first couple minutes of the ticket office being open today.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 07:16:01 PM »
Early forecast is for a high of 25, penguin weather, I love it
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 08:44:39 PM »
Early forecast is for a high of 25, penguin weather, I love it
I've seen 32... but it's a moot point. It will be quite cold.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »
I am sooooo excited!!!!  ;D
I can make this game since I don't work this weekend!!!!  fb
Still sad I had to miss the game against Samford, but this is going to make me feel better! Any guess on attendance numbers for this weekend?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »
Injuries at DE are worrisome. D-line is going to get cut blocked all day and that takes a toll. I hate those they should be illegal IMO, it's an injury risk that's not needed in the game.

Very impressed with the offense. If we stay healthy we can win it all, we are peaking at just the right time.

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 10:28:01 PM »
Good evening, Penguins.  Looking forward to our trip north Saturday to take on your historic program.  While I'm no expert on all things Wofford, I thought I'd stop by to give you some information about out school and program. 

We're located in Spartanburg, SC, just south of the NC border.  We are a small school with enrollment just over 1600 students.  We have 16,700 living alumni.  We're small, but proud.  We've been part of the Southern Conference and FCS since the latter 90's. 

This year our team has far exceeded expectations.  We were picked 6th in the conference.  We lost our starting QB in the last scrimmage of the preseason.  We lost our 2nd string QB just a few games into the season.  Our 3rd string QB suffered a high ankle sprain this past weekend against the Bellhops, so we are left with a true freshman, Joe Newman.  It's a little concerning, but he brings a spark to the offense with his ability to get to the outside and turn the corner.  It's unknown if Goodson (the 3rd stringer) will be able to play yet.  We normally will have 7-10 players run the ball, but as you will see, we love the fullback up the middle.  I'd bet you a dime to a dollar that our first play from scrimmage is the FB dive.  Our offense tends to be vanilla, and now with a FR at the helm, we may have the flavor of water.  As bland as it is, it's effective.  We'll throw the ball a handful of times, just to keep the defense honest.  It can lead to big plays when used at the right time.  Our receivers are probably the best group we've had in years, and it stumps me as to why we don't use them more than we do. 

Our defense is the backbone of the team.  They are the true reason we are in the playoffs.  We are deep in the front seven.  Our D backs will pay off the ball in a bend-don't-break style defense.  If we can get pressure up front it will allow the backs to tighten down on the receivers.

If it comes down to a kicking game, I like our chances.  Our kicker is a stud.  Several made FGs over 50 yards. 

Our head coach has been there since the late 80's, along with our OC.  Our players get their toughness from him as he's a blackbelt in karate. 

As far as this game is concerned, it'll be a great game.  We'll be ready to play.  We'll earn the respect of your players and fans.  I don't think we'll be concerned about the cold weather.  We had to make the trip to Mizzoula several years ago and shocked the Griz.  Don't know what we did to prepare for the cold for that game, but I'm sure we'll be preparing in similar fashion.  We've played some tough games on the road in the playoffs and somehow found a way to win.  But that's history and not the present. 

Glad to see that the Guins have resurrected the program.  BP's a really good coach.  Looking forward to Saturday. 

Go Terriers!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 09:17:40 AM »
 Thanks for the info 94Terrier.  I note the defensive stats back up your comments.  Very impressive.  Our D has been vary hard hit by injury but our offense is really coming around late in the season, into the playoffs.  Should be a good game.  Are you coming up for the game? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »
We do have a common opponent with Wofford.  They lost a close one to Samford by 2.  They held Samford to 30 yards rushing.  We "held" them to 317.  The number that stands out for Wofford vs Samford was the Terriers 11 penalties for 111 yards.  That had to hurt in a 2 point game.  Based on season long statistics there isn't much to choose between the 2.  I know they are crying about being down to the 4th string QB, but kids, facts are facts, we are down to our 4th string QB also.
Should be a tough contest. Glad we get them in the Ice Castle!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!