Author Topic: YSU vs JSU Post Game thread.  (Read 25008 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs JSU Post Game thread.
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »
HappyPenguin, it is easier throwing to guys that are wide open, and Hunter hit them in stride!  Great call, great throw.  And with 8-9 guys in the box we still rushed for 200+ yards which says tons about the OL!  I was startled to see the stats of Wofford vs Samford.  They held Samford to 30 yards rushing....30!  We "held" them to 315.  This is going to be a tough game, make no mistake.

Just looking at the box score of Samford vs. Wofford, Samford threw on them all day very easily. That's their MO.

Samford QB went a whopping 28 of 32 for 315 with 4 TD and 0 INT. I would not have tried to run it. They tried 22 times for 30 yards so that is some seriously STOUT run D by Wofford. No idea why they kept that up.

Samford got their yards passing on us not rushing. We held their vaunted run game to 24  8) They did throw on us with success too. 372 and 3 TD, no INT. Just looking at the pass numbers I'd say thats a game that team wins, but no balance and a dreadful defense wasted that effort.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 11:45:01 AM »
I would stop short of saying this is our best D ever. This is our best pair of DE's ever, but we do lack strength in the middle (which I admit coach Carl's crew has worked on and really improved, as evidenced by our ends and safety's being able to stay back in coverage), we have yet to be able to cover a running QB (3 attempts) and we have limited horizontal speed. Also, the second half of Saturday was the first time that a have seen our secondary coverage turning their heads for the ball.

I would also point out that many of those "passes" by Samford, were simply passes that were well-place to be a couple of inches in front of the LOS. At that point you are at the mercy of the scorer ...does he call it a pass or a run? Many that I saw were really runs. If we do not have DE's blitzing, those passes would have been well behind the LOS and scored as runs.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »
I would stop short of saying this is our best D ever. This is our best pair of DE's ever, but we do lack strength in the middle (which I admit coach Carl's crew has worked on and really improved, as evidenced by our ends and safety's being able to stay back in coverage), we have yet to be able to cover a running QB (3 attempts) and we have limited horizontal speed. Also, the second half of Saturday was the first time that a have seen our secondary coverage turning their heads for the ball.

I would also point out that many of those "passes" by Samford, were simply passes that were well-place to be a couple of inches in front of the LOS. At that point you are at the mercy of the scorer ...does he call it a pass or a run? Many that I saw were really runs. If we do not have DE's blitzing, those passes would have been well behind the LOS and scored as runs.
I didn't say it was perfect, but at full strength, I do believe it is our best ever.  You accurately point out it is our best pair of DEs and with Lee Wright back (remember my "full strength" qualifier) providing a hugh help at LB, I stand by my statement.  Right now we are down at least Thompson, Moss, Longuine, Smith, and Derek Rivers is at least "nicked" as are a bunch of others. 
One of the points is none of the past teams were perfect either.  Remember, JT let Alcorn pass up and down the field all day, only to tighten as the field shortened, but the stats were off the charts. I have the same sense against both Samford and Jax St.  We keep each one dimensional and controlled the game.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 12:31:36 PM »
Shout out to Monty for calling a great game.  When Jville's safeties would cheat up to stop the run and the corners were one on one, Monty had Wells go deep.  The wide receivers were constantly wide open, and Wells got the ball to them most of the time.  Great road win.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 01:09:36 PM »
Shout out to Monty for calling a great game.  When Jville's safeties would cheat up to stop the run and the corners were one on one, Monty had Wells go deep.  The wide receivers were constantly wide open, and Wells got the ball to them most of the time.  Great road win.
I said something very similar on another thread on this blog.  Couldn't agree more.  They didn't know what we were going to do from beginning to end of the game.  Everybody played well and contributed.  Special teams were terrific.  Not sure, but I don't think JSU returned a kickoff outside the 20 yard line.  Zak looks close to normal too, which can get real important.  We NEED some healthy D linemen but otherwise looking good.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 04:57:23 PM »
HappyPenguin, it is easier throwing to guys that are wide open, and Hunter hit them in stride!  Great call, great throw.  And with 8-9 guys in the box we still rushed for 200+ yards which says tons about the OL!  I was startled to see the stats of Wofford vs Samford.  They held Samford to 30 yards rushing....30!  We "held" them to 315.  This is going to be a tough game, make no mistake.

Go, are you saying we held Samford to 315 yards rushing? I noticed you said Wofford held Samford to 30 yards rushing. We held Samford to 24 yards rushing... but gave up almost 400 yards passing to Samford.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400926621

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 05:04:13 PM »
Wonder why the people criticizing Monty haven't at least acknowledged he had a great game plan? I for one will say I thought our offense looked really good and it does speak as to the preparation and offensive gameplan he developed.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »
Personally I don't care about any of the statistics other than the final scores.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 08:06:02 PM »
Wonder why the people criticizing Monty haven't at least acknowledged he had a great game plan? I for one will say I thought our offense looked really good and it does speak as to the preparation and offensive gameplan he developed.

Do not hold your breath
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2016, 06:12:27 AM »

Do not hold your breath

Because one game doesn't make up for years of ineptitude.  They made no adjustmentsense to bring in a high safety and as usual we made no adjustments to our plan.  We had a better plan going in because they thought we could not complete a pass.  That was one data point.  Montgomery has an advantage when we play out of conference competition.  They know how to shut us down in the conference.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
I guess I must not have been watching the same YSU team as you Power. Coach Shane adjusts constantly and always has. Why don't you take a look at the last 8-years on NCAA.com or the MVFC site for our offense. Then look at our defensive numbers. They do not lie, nor validate your statement.

Any OOC team has no advantage because they are BOTH playing OOC. Coach Shane had the advantage because he had a better plan and made better adjustments. Also we played well on offense, something that has not been happening consistently over this year and last. JSU had two safeties in the game in the 1st and 3rd quarters. JSU did quite well against us in the 3rd, but coach Shane brought in a TE, pulled Ruiz and let Webb go end-around. Resulted in a FG. Then in the second series he put in Ruiz and Webb, hit Webb in space and got it in the end-zone.

My complaints in the game would be the number of times we had FG's instead of TD's ...3 (there was an additional that was a deliberate choice to kick long & I am not counting that one). Also we could have been up 28-7 by 2-minutes into the second quarter, but we were a bit conservative. That was his call to make. Also when we go up-tempo it really drains our depleted defense. However, Coach M clearly saw this and on the drive after our 3rd-quarter TD (the one that continued into the 4th quarter) and we had some breathing room, he went under center and we consumed over 6-minutes ... the remaining JSU drives were :35, :58 and :20 with 2 INT's and a 5 & out.

One thing that I liked was the way the JSU fans treated coach Bo. They honestly were impressed to see him, reached over the rails to shake his hand and I saw a few holding papers that I thought were asking for autographs. When Bo Saw that poster with "the many faces of Bo" he waved at them and they waved back ...biggest smile that I think I ever saw on Pelini's face. Other teams would have been rude.

You had better worry more about our inability to handle misdirection on defense, as the Terriers run the triple. We need to work on covering the pitch man. Our O line is going to have to get off their blocks quick if we are going to pass. However, I suspect coach M will try to push them and get a middle run game going. Look for Webb and especially Ruiz to be tough against the grain.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 09:02:58 AM »

Go, are you saying we held Samford to 315 yards rushing? I noticed you said Wofford held Samford to 30 yards rushing. We held Samford to 24 yards rushing... but gave up almost 400 yards passing to Samford.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400926621

SORRY!!  I somehow got my schools mixed up between Samford and Jax.  Very confusing to read, but sub JSU for Samford and it makes more sense.

Offline CockyGeek

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 02:28:02 PM »
Thanks for visiting JSU! I hate I didn't get to meet anybody but I got there too late to tailgate. That crowd was pretty pathetic. I think it was 12,000 announced. There were probably really about 10k there including the students and the band and the people in the club and suites. It seats 24k and I've only seen it get close to that capacity twice since the expansion. It's normally pretty full during homecoming and band day, but we can't compete with Bama in the postseason.

Y'all handed us a complete butt whupping. JSU obviously wasn't prepared to make any kind of adjustments mid game. They've been used to having teams not being able to move the ball and then just coasting for four quarters. I was really impressed with all facets of your team. I think they've hit their stride and I'm cheering for you guys to go all the way. You guys have the most tolerable fans in the MVFC, by the way.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »
Thanks for visiting JSU! I hate I didn't get to meet anybody but I got there too late to tailgate. That crowd was pretty pathetic. I think it was 12,000 announced. There were probably really about 10k there including the students and the band and the people in the club and suites. It seats 24k and I've only seen it get close to that capacity twice since the expansion. It's normally pretty full during homecoming and band day, but we can't compete with Bama in the postseason.

Y'all handed us a complete butt whupping. JSU obviously wasn't prepared to make any kind of adjustments mid game. They've been used to having teams not being able to move the ball and then just coasting for four quarters. I was really impressed with all facets of your team. I think they've hit their stride and I'm cheering for you guys to go all the way. You guys have the most tolerable fans in the MVFC, by the way.

Thanks.  Not sure we're the "most tolerable" in the MVFC, but I am sure who the worst, most insufferable fans are.  I won't mention NDSU by name, but I'm sure you can guess!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 04:07:50 PM »

Thanks.  Not sure we're the "most tolerable" in the MVFC, but I am sure who the worst, most insufferable fans are.  I won't mention NDSU by name, but I'm sure you can guess!

It is SDSU because they have an inferiority complex that goes with them.  There are just less of them.