Author Topic: What Can We Do to Improve Football Attendance?  (Read 18318 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
What Can We Do to Improve Football Attendance?
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »
Okay here is a thread for the topic. A few things:

1. People need to be shamed, because if they know they have to come and do not ...then they are ashamed of themselves. Religion, real leaders and other institutions have done it for years.

2. Newspapers deal with the common reality ...HS in the Mahoning and Shenago Valley's is King. HS prep is the glory of so many people in blue collar communities, as they never went to college, so there is no loyalty. All local media has an obligation to treat YSU football as King ...until it is. Just as national media does with civil and social issues ...shove it down people's throats until it becomes a mindset. Then it can be marketed and sold at a profit.

3. I worked in media in my youth and we hated PSA's  takes too much time and money. Now groups like the ASPCA pay TV stations tons of $$$ to show crying dogs while crying Irish females sign background music. Then they all write it off their taxes at a great profit. YSU is no PSA, but it could be and certainly should be treated like one ...by the media being guilted into doing it as well.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:16:46 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: What Can We Do to Improve Football Attendance?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 02:04:18 PM »
YSU had the largest attendance out of the 8 games that were played--Thanksgiving week,Ohio State game,cold weather with the possibility of rain,and apathy all played a part in keeping attendance down. >:( :(

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »
Everyone is failing to see one important thing.  The loges were packed and that is where the money is. As well as the die hard fans like us that sat in the stands cheering.  Even with as scarce as it was yesterday the University I can assure didn't lose money even after bidding to host yesterday.

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 02:27:25 PM »
1. I dont believe YSU bids to host. Hosting is now determined by seeding. Back in the 90s that wasnt the case. I could be wrong though.

2. Shaming isnt going to work. People dont have an obligation to support a sports team any more than any other form of entertainment. If they think its worth their while they will show up, if not, no.

3. Sports are becoming like movies. The big time attractions will draw. Smaller attractions wont as much. THere is too much available on TV that the market is saturated. Maybe the bar ought to be lowered. If the crowd yesterday was the best of the 8 games, that says something about the interest in FCS football.

4. THere is a lag effect at work. Interest has been killed. It will take consistent winning to become an attraction. The Indians suffer from a lag too. NExt year will be better for them, but this year they suffered from being mediocre for so long.

ytowngirl

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 02:29:05 PM »
I remember when I was younger during the Tressel years there would be standing room only tickets in the end zones that how packed it would get.  And that was without the 2nd side.  Sad unfortunately most of the YSU fans probably died or left the area.  People in Youngstown could probably careless.  Also it doesn't seem like the students care either. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
There have been many intelligent comments about attendance spread across several threads on this site in the last day.  I subscribe to the school of thought that technology has changed the fan bases forever, and that the numbers of the 90s will never be matched.

Nevertheless, to address the topic of this thread, here is my suggestion.  Eliminate all university positions associated with ticket sales and marketing.  The incompetence has been legendary.  Then take the money saved from salaries, pension funding, health care premiums, and the sums allocated by the university to athletic marketing and do one of two things.

First, hire a professional marketing firm.  Pay them a modest fixed sum and allow them to take a portion of every ticket sold in football and basketball.  Their livelihood would depend upon performance.  That is certainly not the case now.

Second, and my personal preference, turn sales and marketing over to our business school.  Have internships where graduate students and upperclassmen would handle all the functions currently performed by athletic department staff.  In addition to their internship stipends, allow these students to keep a portion of the sales.  They are aspiring capitalists and that would ensure maximum dedication to the task at hand.

One thing is for sure.  Maintain the status quo and expect the same results from the past twenty years....nothing.

ytowngirl

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 07:02:18 PM »
There have been many intelligent comments about attendance spread across several threads on this site in the last day.  I subscribe to the school of thought that technology has changed the fan bases forever, and that the numbers of the 90s will never be matched.

Nevertheless, to address the topic of this thread, here is my suggestion.  Eliminate all university positions associated with ticket sales and marketing.  The incompetence has been legendary.  Then take the money saved from salaries, pension funding, health care premiums, and the sums allocated by the university to athletic marketing and do one of two things.

First, hire a professional marketing firm.  Pay them a modest fixed sum and allow them to take a portion of every ticket sold in football and basketball.  Their livelihood would depend upon performance.  That is certainly not the case now.

Second, and my personal preference, turn sales and marketing over to our business school.  Have internships where graduate students and upperclassmen would handle all the functions currently performed by athletic department staff.  In addition to their internship stipends, allow these students to keep a portion of the sales.  They are aspiring capitalists and that would ensure maximum dedication to the task at hand.

One thing is for sure.  Maintain the status quo and expect the same results from the past twenty years....nothing.

I have to completely agree with this.  Marketing is lacking.

One thing I noticed a while ago, I haven't lived in Youngstown area in 18 years, but when I do go home during football season they barely mention YSU on local news.  Typically just during the sports time and just for a few minutes at best.  Now that we moved to Columbus last year, from San Diego, all the news stations talk Ohio State and a lot of the times its the opening news story.  Now I see why people are obsessed with Ohio State down here.

JaxSinfonian

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 07:03:24 PM »
1. I dont believe YSU bids to host. Hosting is now determined by seeding. Back in the 90s that wasnt the case. I could be wrong though.

Sorry, but you are wrong. You guys hosted yesterday because you outbid Samford. Unless neither team submitted a bid, in which case I have no idea how the NCAA determines the host site.

Only the top eight teams in the tournament field are seeded, and games involving those teams are determined by seeding. The rest are paired in the first round with an eye toward geography, with the site determined by the bid. Here's an interview with last year's selection committee chairman that explains the process pretty well: http://thefcswedge.com/the-fcs-wedge/the-fcs-wedge-2016-1117-fcs-selection-process-mark-wilson/

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 07:44:51 PM »

Agree 100% with this.

ALSO JUST KEEP WINNING

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »
We were packing them in in the 90's because we were winning year after year and it was new for us to win. 

Tres came in and changed everything.   

To get back to that we need to start winning for a couple of years and redefine this team.  Won't happen overnight

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 10:21:30 PM »
Mid level football or any mid level college sport,  is a hard sale in any market unless you are the big show in the state. With that said steady winning seasons won't hurt.

Local media does a poor job, YSU should ALWAYS be the lead/main story - period. Leading with a high school story just sends the message that YSU is second rate. 

I agree with the post that suggested that anyone with anything to do with marketing at YSU needs to go. Just not getting the job done, take the money and hire a firm that knows what they are doing.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 08:18:13 AM »
I think JaxSinfonian is correct here ...it is all bid. However, they do take into account attendance on televised games. Also your attendance is part of your bid now. A small college may have the funds to buy a game, but if their opponent has better attendance on a televised game, then they will ask the team with the larger attendance to increase their bid. Also, if there is national television, you need to take into account the ability of a school to support this; size, boxes, lighting etc. You would be surprised, the vast majority of I-AA/FCS schools do not meet these requirements. We just met the national championship-level night broadcast lighting requirements last year.

Take these things into account when you mindlessly attack your administration. It is a complex job and very specialized.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:21:35 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 09:03:11 AM »
1. People need to be shamed

If you resort to promoting your product by shaming your market, then your product must really suck.

IDK that this is a priority to the University.  As mentioned already, maybe they are content with loge and ad revenue.  Even this could be maximized further.  Construction will begin on the East stands soon.  Seating that is enclosed/partially enclosed could be created and sold for a higher rate.  This could take all forms from simple protection from the elements to larger seats with dedicated restrooms and concessions...much like a club level, but without the tables, couches, and roominess of a loge. 

The obvious: 1) Win.  Winners win.  2)  scheduling teams that fans care about.  IMO, an away MAC game would increase home attendance. It would create buzz and minimize the notion that YSU is sub-MAC.  3)  Involve the students.

It can't just be about FB anymore.  You need the soft fan who just wants to have fun on a Saturday, or the spouse who'd rather be shopping.  You may convert them into fans.  It's about the experience, feelz, and thrills.  You've got to be the best show in town.  If its about sitting in the rain watching a team from the Dakotas than forget it.  You need to go big.  I suggested a jumbo screen for the tOSU/MI game.  Call it the "Biggest Ohio FB tailgate party".  Have notable tOSU alumni there..I suspect JT knows a few.  Have bands perform. Have a MSB reunion concert before the game.  Get local celebrities to talk at halftime.  Make the team entrance more grand.  Raffles.  Prizes.  My wife and I own a biz and we are approached weekly to exchange services to be raffled in exchange for advertising.  It's a win-win for all involved.  As Wick wisely notes, all jobs should have incentive pay.  Any employer that doesn't offer incentive pay deserves poor employee performance.

On social media this morning...days after the game, I still read posts admonishing the local citizenry for not purchasing a product.  It's mental sloth, and frankly, it's going to piss ppl off and drive them away.  Stop feeling entitled to other ppl's time and money.  F'in earn it.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
I think Nation is 100% correct on this.  If you have to shame someone to come, then the product must suck.  I don't think our product sucks, so it seems like positive reinforcement is a better avenue of approach.   Obviously word of mouth is the best advertising for anything.  First thing is for each of us to  talk it up!  Second is making the product visible.  We have had what 3 games on TV live in the last 5 years?  Anybody think the local media is doing us right on this?  I’ve seen more Maryland high school games broadcast than YSU games!  Tressel and the athletic administration needs to really get to work on this aspect.  Third, we need to keep winning.  Nothing like winning to promote attendance. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!