Author Topic: Penguin Game Day: Penguins vs. Bulldogs  (Read 30404 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguin Game Day: Penguins vs. Bulldogs
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2016, 12:00:33 PM »
Turning point of game was the Schuler punt that went to their 3 yd line and we took control from there.  We were well prepared and made adjustments to their crossing pattern in the middle zone.  The 2 junk td's were what they were junk.  We let guys play that worked so hard all season and it gave them a chance to play in a playoff game.  No shame there.  Hunter is improving every week and Webb looked like he was faster than everybody last night.  Bailey made some nice catches as well.  I was watching our jumbo package and #88 made a few couple of crushing blocks.  I like it when the have #11 standing up it gives us a different winkle.   The drive to start the second half was a thing of beauty and that pass down the visitor sideline was a game breaker and Wells rolled out to do it.  Hell he even ran a few times.  No reason to be negative here the offense has improved and I think the cold wore Stamford down as well.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
I tailgated all day. We all had a wonderful time.  Till we get rid of the deadweight in the marketing department nothing will change and we all know who that person is.  They knew they were competing with the Buckeye game and instead of avoided they should of embraced it and tied both games together.  We have lost the casual fans and the bandwagon fans.  We have lost population as well.  The demographics will represent why so few.  The media and print media are worthless.  The last thing is.  Cable tv and ESPN has destroyed attendance too.  This area having Power 5 conference overlap doesn't care either about FCS football and why should they.
The marketing department is worthless in promoting any YSU sports. Most of the time, I didn't even know the baskets get team was playing an home game.
For this playoff game, I follow the link to get information on the ysu sports website. It linked to a page that displayed the ticket information. In 3 seconds, it moved another page about other sports page. I backed it up to the page, in moved again before I could read it. After a few times, I was able to find the link it to view this page. It was about how students could get free tickets to the game. I was unable to get the information on how to get tickets until the next day. On Sunday, they only sold tickets to season tickets, penguin club members. Others had to wait till the next day. Why couldn't they sell tickets to the fans on their day off? How many fans got turned off with this policy without buying the tickets? I can see if the game was a potential sellout so you want to take care of your season ticket holder first. In this case, it was totally rediculous.

In many cases, the promotion required purchasing tickets a day before the game day and at the ticket office only. If they people want to come, sell them at the promotional discount at the door for the walkups.
They refused to give out faculty discount at the door. I asked for the reasons. I was told because they did not have the computer system to handle it. It has been 20 years and apparently they still have not figured it out ot care about it. I understand I could pay the full price like everyone else. However, they always complained that we didn't support our students at reduced price. Does it sound like they really try.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:12 PM »
YSU has one of the worst marketing departments I've ever seen. Things wont change until something in that department does.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
YSU has one of the worst marketing departments I've ever seen. Things wont change until something in that department does.
Not to belaboring the point, I had a team of STEM students entering into technical competitions against Akron, Case WRU, Cleveland State and Kent. Our students wore golf shirts proudly displayed the penguin logo, ysu and stem logos.

The following year, we had to remove the penguin logo at the direction of the marketing department since they owned the rights of the logo. Last time I checked, we are all belonging to the same university. Since the marketing is an entity of YSU and YSU actually owns the rights and not the marketing department. Furthermore, we had to remove all the Penguins logo from all the screens of our computers.

Somebody must be protecting these guys for them to have this kind of power within the university. IMO, our accomplishments in the college of STEM far exceeds the accomplishments of the athletes marketing department. We have figured out how to increase the enrollments of CSTEM every year and they can't even figure out how to sell a few more tickets.

Next time I see my colleagues in the marketing department of the Williamson College of Business, I should ask them to show them how it should be done.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »
Not to belaboring the point, I had a team of STEM students entering into technical competitions against Akron, Case WRU, Cleveland State and Kent. Our students wore golf shirts proudly displayed the penguin logo, ysu and stem logos.

The following year, we had to remove the penguin logo at the direction of the marketing department since they owned the rights of the logo. Last time I checked, we are all belonging to the same university. Since the marketing is an entity of YSU and YSU actually owns the rights and not the marketing department. Furthermore, we had to remove all the Penguins logo from all the screens of our computers.

Somebody must be protecting these guys for them to have this kind of power within the university. IMO, our accomplishments in the college of STEM far exceeds the accomplishments of the athletes marketing department. We have figured out how to increase the enrollments of CSTEM every year and they can't even figure out how to sell a few more tickets.

Next time I see my colleagues in the marketing department of the Williamson College of Business, I should ask them to show them how it should be done.

It's ludicrous they asked you to remove the logos. Well forced looks like a more accurate term to be honest. What could the point of that possibly be outside of an ego pump for them that they made you do what they wanted? How can the school allow this? You weren't profiting from it at their expense, you were showing pride in your school. I don't get it. What a disgusting slap in the face.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »

[/quote]

It's ludicrous they asked you to remove the logos. Well forced looks like a more accurate term to be honest. What could the point of that possibly be outside of an ego pump for them that they made you do what they wanted? How can the school allow this? You weren't profiting from it at their expense, you were showing pride in your school. I don't get it. What a disgusting slap in the face.
[/quote]
Precisely, that was my argument with them. We were not selling the shirts for profit. They were provided to the scholars for free as their uniform to represent the university.
We now use the block Y for all our computer screen background. Many of our students still missed that cute little penguin.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2016, 11:35:44 PM »
That is absolutely disgusting. They made you take the penguin logo off the students shirts? For real? How and why? There is no way they could win that argument legally. I know you probably weren't trying to make waves and complied, but if they tried to pass that on me I would take that to the court and the court of public opinion. I would have refused. And are you saying that's why the penguin logo was taken off the college of stem computer screensavers a couple years ago?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2016, 11:49:41 PM »

Well they sure as hell don't promote it so the fact that they did that is unbelievable. What a joke that department is.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 03:46:56 AM »
Do you peoole know anything regarding copyright laws?  You can't use the YSU logo without receiving permission from the university. You can't just use the logo anywhere you feel like and have it be ok because you are a student or whatever.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 04:07:00 AM »
JP21 you do realize the university owns the computers they decided to force the logo of the screensaver right? The logo on the shirts is a separate discussion. But the screensaver?

Regarding copyright and trademark law, "Trademark infringement claims generally are based on one of three legal theories. The first is a “likelihood of confusion” concept – the idea that the infringer, through the use of the senior holder’s marks, creates among consumers confusion over the origin of the goods or services in question.
A second trademark infringement legal theory is a “dilution” concept – the idea that if the senior mark holder fails over time to take action to protect its intellectual property, the marks might become so commonplace as to be considered generic and therefore no longer protectable. Dilution is also premised on the idea that if widespread infringement of famous marks occurs, then the brand value of the famous marks will be diminished in value. Applying the criteria used by courts to evaluate dilution, it appears more likely that a university might succeed against a high school with a dilution argument than with a likelihood-of-confusion claim, although once again, no college has ever attempted to litigate a trademark dilution case against a school.

The third common trademark infringement legal theory is a “tarnishment” concept – the idea that the use of marks by an alleged infringer on inappropriate products or the involvement of the alleged infringer in a scandal of some sort might damage the value of the marks to the senior holder. For instance, if a high school athletics program using the nickname, logo and mascot of a university were to be involved in an incident of hazing, sexual harassment or other misconduct resulting in extensive media coverage, the university might be damaged by association. Again, however, no college has ever attempted to litigate a trademark tarnishment case against a school.

I ultimately realize for copyright infringement of the penguin mascot image, the university or copyright holder should be contacted to request permission for its use. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but one would think it shouldn't be an issue for a college affiliated student group. Idk.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 06:13:25 AM »
Do you peoole know anything regarding copyright laws?  You can't use the YSU logo without receiving permission from the university. You can't just use the logo anywhere you feel like and have it be ok because you are a student or whatever.
I worked for the research department one of the largest corporation in the world for over 30 years before coming to YSU. I have worked on patents for our new products with the legal department for years. While I was there, I also worked with YSU's Vice President of research and the legal department to establish academic partnership to collaborate research between the two organizations. You do not have to tell me about copy rights.
This is an internal use within the organization. Copy right does not apply here. It is all about control.
YSU requires us to use the block Y for our communications with organization outside the university. We were asked to use the official version. Block Y and another logo are both copy rights. We were not asked to seek permissions. Everyone of our students' presentations, research posters and research papers carries the YSU logo on them. Do you really think they have enough manpower to handle the requests? Is this how the department  create life time job guarantees? Their jobs are to sell the products (tickets).

My job is to educate my students and not worrying about my student gives my lecture notes (my intellectual property) to another student without my permissions.
Enough discussions here and I will not address the issue anymore.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 07:08:51 AM »
Wick hit the nail on the head.  To add to his point big changes are needed over there.  The person I charge is clearly over his head.  Even the selection of advertising agencies has been substandard.  Does anyone ever remember the Mahoning County Green Team commercials?  We they were horrible.  I could make a better commercial from my garage.  Anyhow, in one of the commercials they dressed Mahoning county solid waste employees in some sort of dinosaur costumes in the commercial.  The commercial was so bad that it was embarrassing to some of their employees.  Well, we hire the same agency.   The season ticket commercials are bad too.  You don't play the YSU fight song on a commercial where you are trying to bring in new people. They aren't familiar with it.  You need to appear to the masses.   the whole thing is bad all the way around.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 08:10:34 AM »
I hate to say that the school is correct here, but their logo guidelines are pretty straight forward and no different than any other school. I have to obtain permission to use them and I have to use the correct logos. They retain the right to tell me to stop using them at any time. Colors, size and type are all regulated and/or trademarked. Pete the Penguin is for athletics & not an academic logo ...that is the block "Y", the letters logo, and the actual use the words "Youngstown State University". Even the font and amount of white-space is defined. Pretty common in the marketing world actually. I work in the field.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
Wick hit the nail on the head.  To add to his point big changes are needed over there.  The person I charge is clearly over his head.  Even the selection of advertising agencies has been substandard.  Does anyone ever remember the Mahoning County Green Team commercials?  We they were horrible.  I could make a better commercial from my garage.  Anyhow, in one of the commercials they dressed Mahoning county solid waste employees in some sort of dinosaur costumes in the commercial.  The commercial was so bad that it was embarrassing to some of their employees.  Well, we hire the same agency.   The season ticket commercials are bad too.  You don't play the YSU fight song on a commercial where you are trying to bring in new people. They aren't familiar with it.  You need to appear to the masses.   the whole thing is bad all the way around.
The short-lived Youngstown to Chicago flights this past summer, before the issues with the airline were uncovered, had some great locally produced commercials. Palo Creative produced them and they were top notch. They had previously done work at the Pittsburgh airport. They are a local outfit that does very professional work. I only mention it because I was so impressed with how a local firm produced such a quality commercial. We know some of the substandard work a few local outfits do every election season for some candidates.