Author Topic: Penguin Game Day: Penguins vs. Bulldogs  (Read 30440 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguin Game Day: Penguins vs. Bulldogs
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »
Dominating.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »
A FG?  Samford's confidence is gone and they are calling it a night.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline jsualumnus

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 07:54:56 PM »
See you guys in Jacksonville.  Samford really wasn't a challenge for you.  For those of you coming into Jacksonville for the game, all the travel info you need can be found on our board.  Visit our board at: gojaxstate.boards.net

Good luck and safe travels...

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »
Fun fact: Samford is in the bottom 3 in the SoCon in total D, rush D, and Pass D.

Why the need?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 09:30:11 PM »
Fun fact: Samford is in the bottom 3 in the SoCon in total D, rush D, and Pass D.

Why the need?

Why the need for facts and perspective about the game?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
Ill St goes down, outscored 24-7 in the 4th

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 09:57:31 PM »
Our CBs are still having problems with athletic receivers. We all knew that they have to score fast and yet, we kept giving up long pass plays. Our CBs could never turn around to look for the ball. Our corners will get pick on again next week by a better team. Let us hope we won't give their QB time to look for the long pass plays.

The crowd was relatively small. But it is about the same size of the last two home games (although the announced attendance was much higher). I think we have about 6,000 die hard fans right now comparing to about 12,000 back in the early 1990s. I do not know if we could ever get them back. The younger generation has a lot other interests in the digital media and I am not sure if they are that much into football anymore.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 10:08:02 PM »
I thought the secondary played pretty damn well. Later once the game was out of hand, they had some backups in and were playing soft coverage so I wasn't concerned. That's a damn good offense we shut down for 3 quarters. Offensive game plan was actually good for once. Now the real test....

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 10:14:42 PM »
The guys on the post game call in show seemed to think Moss and Squiric both had a good shot to play next week.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »
Interesting thread re: attendance on AGS:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?189496-The-annual-quot-wow-1st-round-attendance-really-sucks-quot-thread

I watched a few G5 games yesterday and the stands were embarrassingly empty at all of them.  It's a complicated subject as it involves marketing, scheduling, and the product itself.  You can't be in the playoffs once a decade and expect a loyal following.  You've got to earn it and build a following.  I see lots of pressuring and even shaming of ppl to go to the games, esp from radio commentators and on social media.  It hasn't worked, it's not going to work, and it's prolly counterproductive. I also don't see other schools doing it.  I think enough ppl paid to pay off the guarantee.  Keep winning and the fans will come.  If you don't keep winning, than you don't deserve them.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 10:49:01 PM »
Some random reactions to the game this evening.

Believe it or not, we had the highest attendance of the eight FCS games played today.  Edged Chattanooga by a little.  No other site drew 4,000. 

My favorite stat is this.  Samford achieved 7.3 yards per pass play; YSU got 11.8 yards per pass play.

With the injuries, that was an amazing defensive performance.  10 points against the entire first unit.  As Chief noted, the final two scores after the outcome was long decided came against a hybrid unit with many backups on the field.

Starting with the field goal at the end of the second quarter, we scored on five consecutive possessions, including touchdowns on the first four possessions of the second half.  How many of us saw that coming after we needed that punt return to edge Indiana State?

While the offense struggled a bit in the first half, Schuler was the mvp with his sensational punting.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 11:14:47 PM »
I thought the secondary played pretty damn well. Later once the game was out of hand, they had some backups in and were playing soft coverage so I wasn't concerned. That's a damn good offense we shut down for 3 quarters. Offensive game plan was actually good for once. Now the real test....

ditto

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »
People should be shamed for not attending games.  I've been going to games since I was a kid and I'm 34 now.  They have been bad for a long time but if you are a true follower you will support the team or you will make excuses bottom line.

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 11:19:05 PM »
Gotta love when you go to a playoff game and only two concession stands are open...the next time the baseball team cries because of decreased funds I won't care and site this game as an example of their lazinessness
I know the crowd was small, and they staff based on pre-sale, but they easily could have used a third concession stand open.  I went to the concession stand at the 11 minute mark in the second quarter and didn't return until halftime.

That said, enjoyed the game.  Nice win by the Penguins.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 05:31:16 AM »
Interesting thread re: attendance on AGS:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?189496-The-annual-quot-wow-1st-round-attendance-really-sucks-quot-thread

I watched a few G5 games yesterday and the stands were embarrassingly empty at all of them.  It's a complicated subject as it involves marketing, scheduling, and the product itself.  You can't be in the playoffs once a decade and expect a loyal following.  You've got to earn it and build a following.  I see lots of pressuring and even shaming of ppl to go to the games, esp from radio commentators and on social media.  It hasn't worked, it's not going to work, and it's prolly counterproductive. I also don't see other schools doing it.  I think enough ppl paid to pay off the guarantee.  Keep winning and the fans will come.  If you don't keep winning, than you don't deserve them.

You fail to mention the Mickey Monus effect.  He conditioned the people of Youngstown that tickets should be free when he handed out free tickets to Youngstown Pride basketball games.  Now they won't pay to attend anything because they have been conditioned like dogs.