Author Topic: Lee Wright LB is cleared to play Saturday!  (Read 15987 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Lee Wright LB is cleared to play Saturday!
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:05:04 PM »
Watching game day Pelini just announced it. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Wright LB is cleared to play Saturday!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
Wow didn't expect that. You have to wonder what kind of shape and preparation he has.

SDSU was smart and isolated their TE and backs on our LB, who lost the battle due to speed. Wright would help there.

Great to be adding a good player at this point of the season, usually you're just losing them to injury.

Welcome back.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
I knew the semester was ending soon. It was only a 1 semester suspension. Now do we want to use him or wait until next year?

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »
AA. That's the million dollar question. If he plays on Saturday I would think that he wouldn't be able to play next year

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »
Very good question. He was our best LB last year and is definitely an upgrade over Kelly and Pinnock.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:14:34 PM »
As much as I would love to have him for the next 4 games, I would rather have him for 11 plus games next year
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »
Very confused.  :o

The semester isn't actually over so how is his suspension over?

"Wright’s civil complaint before Judge Sweeney said Wright had lost a full athletic scholarship to YSU and was barred from attending fall semester classes there."
(source: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/31/ysu-player-remains-suspended/).

I know he wasn't removed from the team though as it covers that too. But is he not ineligible if he isn't attending fall semester classes? I don't know enough about NCAA athletic eligibility, which is why I'm asking?

Also, if he is eligible, unless I really don't understand how eligibility works  ???, may as well let him play. He already redshirted, in 2013 at App State. He came here in 2014 and didn't play. He played last year as a redshirt Soph... so if he is losing this year of eligibility due to already having redshirted, and he is eligible  to play I say let him.

Can anyone confirm my assumptions on the situation above?

ValleyTalk

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 10:53:19 PM »
2013 - Redshirt at Appy State
2014 - Redshirt Freshman at YSU
2015 - Sophomore at YSU
2016 - Would be junior season

Unless I'm missing something, he would be back next year regardless of whether he plays Saturday.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:41 PM »
That's what I was getting at too Valley. It seems like he is losing his junior season regardless and may as well play if he is indeed eligible while not taking Fall classes...

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:57:32 PM »
Pelini said he did what ever was required to be reinstated.  He also stated he has been practicing with the team all season. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 11:39:02 PM »
Let him play. Even if its just on special teams for now because he's obviously not in game shape, it'll get him in. The kid is a tackling machine.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 12:02:05 AM »
Let him play. Even if its just on special teams for now because he's obviously not in game shape, it'll get him in. The kid is a tackling machine.
Pelini certainly made it seem otherwise.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 12:22:53 AM »
If he is already red-shirted, then he might as well play. The rule is simple. You have 5-years to complete 4-years of eligibility. So yes he could play this year and next. The NCAA now sweetens the deal by offering those who graduate within 4-year and extra year of eligibility.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 07:05:34 AM »
Very confused.  :o

The semester isn't actually over so how is his suspension over?

"Wright’s civil complaint before Judge Sweeney said Wright had lost a full athletic scholarship to YSU and was barred from attending fall semester classes there."
(source: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/31/ysu-player-remains-suspended/).

I know he wasn't removed from the team though as it covers that too. But is he not ineligible if he isn't attending fall semester classes? I don't know enough about NCAA athletic eligibility, which is why I'm asking?

Also, if he is eligible, unless I really don't understand how eligibility works  ???, may as well let him play. He already redshirted, in 2013 at App State. He came here in 2014 and didn't play. He played last year as a redshirt Soph... so if he is losing this year of eligibility due to already having redshirted, and he is eligible  to play I say let him.

Can anyone confirm my assumptions on the situation above?
I do not have the answers. However, since he was suspended by the university committee for disciplinary reasons and not by NCAA, the NCAA rules might not apply here.
I am sure what the university rules are. I do know this, the university could waived the suspension at their discretion. He might also be suspended for the regular season only. He does not need the scholarship to play football. The university could also reinstate hie scholarship. He might also have registered for the next semester.
In the past, incoming Freshmen were able to play football before the official start of the fall term under the old Quarter system (started in late September). They have not yet attended any classes. This could be the reason. However, the academic semester will not be officially over till the second Sunday of December.
I guess only YSU can provide the answers.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 07:19:52 AM »
I wonder if this has something to do with Moss not being able to  play this Saturday. I have never really watched our back up defensive ends play, but I've watched plenty of film on Pinnock prior to his arrival at YSU. He was primarily a DE and was very effective rushing the passer in the Juco ranks