Author Topic: Samford @ YSU 5pm Kickoff  (Read 50425 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Samford @ YSU 5pm Kickoff
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
Tickets in hand!
Got my tickets yesterday. I will be going with my 2 sons from out of town. We used to go to all YSU home games and playoff home games when they were growing up. We all remember the game against Nova when Goode made the fourth down catch and Wilkins nailed the field goal into the wind.
Go  Penguins.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:58 PM »
Tickets in hand!
Got my tickets yesterday. I will be going with my 2 sons from out of town. We used to go to all YSU home games and playoff home games when they were growing up. We all remember the game against Nova when Goode made the fourth down catch and Wilkins nailed the field goal into the wind.
Go  Penguins.

Herb Williams - but love the enthusiasm!!

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2016, 07:01:56 AM »
Tickets in hand!
Go  Penguins.

Go Guins!
You are right. I got those two guys mixed up.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
Boy, we really did have quite the fan-base. Boy how I wish that enthusiasm would return to the Ice Castle on Saturday:
http://wkbn.com/2016/11/22/ysu-hopes-for-huge-playoff-crowd/

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2016, 10:30:17 AM »
Tickets in hand!
Go  Penguins.

Go Guins!

There were the three famous 4th-down catches, I forget who was involved in two of these if anyone remembers:

1) in the 1997 title game that toss for the games only TD by Tidwell to Ray.

2) I think it against Marshall (but could have been Nova), where the 4th-down pass was caught about the 10. I remember he was completely extended and we thought he would land out of bounds. I was standing less than 10-yards away and I held my breath that it did not touch the ground.

3) The 4th-down toss that bounced of off 2 and was caught.

Can someone refresh me on 2 & 3? Stick or ET?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2016, 10:56:38 AM »
Samford fans seem to think if their offense is clicking, we will be in for a long game.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »
We should concede that Samford's receivers are good and fast.  But Samford fans might be shocked with the toughness and lateral movement of our defense.  They might also be surprised with how difficult it will be for their receivers to gain much YAC on their short pass routes.  As always, this game will be determined by play in the trenches.  I expect that our linemen will have the advantage on both sides of the ball.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »
Give them all they want between the 20's and when it gets tighter and the routes are longer - send the house!  Hodges gets hit a couple of times by 9 and 11 - he will get gun shy. 

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »
Tickets in hand!
Go  Penguins.

Go Guins!

There were the three famous 4th-down catches, I forget who was involved in two of these if anyone remembers:

2) I think it against Marshall (but could have been Nova), where the 4th-down pass was caught about the 10. I remember he was completely extended and we thought he would land out of bounds. I was standing less than 10-yards away and I held my breath that it did not touch the ground.

Fan, sorry, I could not remember 2 & 3. I remembered the catch and Wilkin's kick against Nova because I was there. I still recall their QB was chasing the ref around the field after the kick arguing that there was still time left on the clock while the YSU fans were charging on to the field.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
Control the line of scrimmage. Run behind the big uglies. Win the time of position and therefore win the game.
Go Guins

ValleyTalk

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2016, 04:41:21 PM »
The hype video for this week is sweet!
https://youtu.be/Mo-heNMmLv0

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »
Tickets in hand!
Go  Penguins.

Go Guins!

Fan, sorry, I could not remember 2 & 3. I remembered the catch and Wilkin's kick against Nova because I was there. I still recall their QB was chasing the ref around the field after the kick arguing that there was still time left on the clock while the YSU fans were charging on to the field.

Thanks ET I know that the Williams catch is one of them. One was tipped and I am pretty certain it was Ray Issac that threw it.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2016, 07:02:37 PM »
Another great 4th qtr catch against Marshall was Ray Isaac's pass to Trent Boykin for 55 yds; it was an over the shoulder catch with double coverage. There was Herb Williams fantastic 33 yd catch in the end zone.

Thru the Tressel years there were many great catches in the play off games; Mark Brungard threw a 39 yd pass to Don Zwisher against Idaho to set up a touchdown run by Tamron Smith.

I have nearly all of YSU's championship and playoff games on VCR.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
Samford fans seem to think if their offense is clicking, we will be in for a long game.

Might be a tough adjustment for these southern guys to throw and catch a cold wet football.