Author Topic: Pelini and staff mishandled quarterback situation  (Read 5712 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Pelini and staff mishandled quarterback situation
« on: November 07, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
   Our quarterback's are average at best, but Pelini needs to take the blame for this circus.  Pelini made it well known that Wells was not going to be his QB during the summer;  he can't run, and Pelini told many that Wells was soft and not tough enough.   So it comes down to Davis and Hosick, and Davis wins the job and everyone gets excited when Davis looks good against two bad teams in September. 

Then we get into the league, especially the game at South Dakota State and Pelini realizes Davis not that good, locks in on one receiver and then runs, not a high QB IQ.

So then after two months of not dressing and not making road trips, we turn to Hunter Wells, this is a joke.

That being said, FCS football has never been weaker, all the great programs of the past have moved to FBS, and the bottom 8-10 that will make playoffs are not good football teams.  We should win the next two and likely win a few playoff games.

But the gap between YSU and the top 5 teams is huge.  Also North Dakota State and South Dakota State return most of their starting 22, and YSU loses 17 seniors.  Nothing going to change anytime soon.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pelini and staff mishandled quarterback situation
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:01:36 AM »
"but Pelini needs to take the blame for this circus."

Truer words were never typed.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:26:46 AM »
   Our quarterback's are average at best, but Pelini needs to take the blame for this circus.  Pelini made it well known that Wells was not going to be his QB during the summer;  he can't run, and Pelini told many that Wells was soft and not tough enough.   So it comes down to Davis and Hosick, and Davis wins the job and everyone gets excited when Davis looks good against two bad teams in September. 

Then we get into the league, especially the game at South Dakota State and Pelini realizes Davis not that good, locks in on one receiver and then runs, not a high QB IQ.

So then after two months of not dressing and not making road trips, we turn to Hunter Wells, this is a joke.

That being said, FCS football has never been weaker, all the great programs of the past have moved to FBS, and the bottom 8-10 that will make playoffs are not good football teams.  We should win the next two and likely win a few playoff games.

But the gap between YSU and the top 5 teams is huge.  Also North Dakota State and South Dakota State return most of their starting 22, and YSU loses 17 seniors.  Nothing going to change anytime soon.

We could do a SHSU and bring in 25 D-1 transfers next year seems to work for them.  :-\

ytowngirl

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »
If Pelini wants a running QB system, he needs to recruit more athletic QB's. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
If Pelini wants a running QB system, he needs to recruit more athletic QB's.

And a "O" line built for moving lateral with him.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:29:17 AM »
It's refreshing to see a post that questions leadership rather than "I trust my coaches."

I would completely agree that the QB situation was terribly botched.  No argument there.

We've had zero TDs in the last two games.  You could rationalize that by saying NDSU has a great defense, which they do, but MSU is the only other team this year not to score a TD on them.  The day we accept that we are on par with MSU is the day we re-evaluate even having a FB program.  ISUb....we couldn't get a single TD there either?

With a healthy Davis, we were scoring TDs....every game.  We were even scoring TDs against #10/#11 WVU (7-1).  Hell, we were even winning 14-7 in Q2.  Despite having solid RBs, Davis was our leading rusher that game.  Most of the teams WVU played this season (5/8) scored as much or less than YSU did (21).

...and then the concussion.  That changed everything.  Trent's season ending injury made a bad situation worse.  Mays played well, and for some reason doesn't get the "he's just rusty" excuses that Wells gets, even though Mays is a Freshman who was working with the scout team.

Wells.  He's not the solution.  It was outrageous to believe he was.  If Wells had legit D2 prospects, and he sacrificed a year of eligibility to start a few games, and then get benched again, then he got screwed royal.  If a promise was made to start Wells for the remainder of the season, then the coaches doomed our season.  The only scenario that makes a sliver of sense is Wells had no decent D2 prospects, and wasn't promised anything other than another shot...even then Wells should have been behind Mays on the depth chart.  IOW, the entire Wells ordeal was botched in one way or another.

Decisions made in 2015 and 2016 led me to believe that there are some serious judgment impairments in the coaching staff.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 12:41:52 PM »
It's refreshing to see a post that questions leadership rather than "I trust my coaches."

and then you have to ruin it by adding post #1001 in your ongoing Wells is not the answer...bring back Davis diatribe. By the way ...those two aspects that you mentioned above are not opposing opinions or mutually exclusive. The normal person does both ...do you? More importantly ... does Bo?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »

and then you have to ruin it by adding post #1001 in your ongoing Wells is not the answer...bring back Davis diatribe. By the way ...those two aspects that you mentioned above are not opposing opinions or mutually exclusive. The normal person does both ...do you? More importantly ... does Bo?

You are a sassy fella.  My understanding is Davis still is recovering from the concussion, and is not serviceable.  So it's really a bring back Mays diatribe.  I bring up Wells because: a) he's the starting QB currently, b) he has perfromance issues, and c) this thread is about the "quarterback situation." 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »
Give Pelini a chance.  He is in year #2.  Yes it was mishandled but Montgomery needs bigger testicles too.  He should have gone to the mattresses to do what he thought was right bit he folded like a cheap suit.