Author Topic: Game week thread: YSU vs. SIU: Win 2 and Host or win 1 and get screwed!  (Read 12823 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
We need to control our path to the playoffs.  120 minutes, 4 halfs, 8qtrs, 2 games.  Starts with SIU. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Game week thread: YSU vs. SIU: Win 2 and Host or win 1 and get screwed!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »
We will need to score more than 3 points.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »
Better start scoring some points. SIU is no slouch.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:02:22 AM »
Better start scoring some points. SIU is no slouch.

Plus 1 ^^

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »
The least amount of points scored on SIU (3-6/1-5) was 17 by Murray State.  SIU is in the bottom three in every major defensive category.  Alumni playing this game should score on SIU.

The SIU offense looks like a mostly pass-oriented offense led by Senior QB Josh Straughan. Fortunately we have the Valley's best pass D and total D.

Massey gives YSU an 80% chance of winning and predicts a score of 28 (!) -17.  The spread is not yet available.

I don't see this going well for SIU.  It's true they beat USD and most of their losses were by one score.  We've got freaks on defense that are going to just shut them down offensively.  No matter who the QB is, we should at least get 2-3 rushing TDs.  YSU 24-10
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
YSU minus 12.5.  O/U 50.5. 

Under seems like a reasonable choice.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »
Sophomore QB Sam Straub replaced Senior QB Josh Straughan last week, and SIU gets their first MVFC win over USD.  The expectation is that Straub will start @YSU.  Straub's stats from last week:

Cmp   Att.   Yds.   TD   Int.   Long   Sack

Straub, Sam    19   34   339   2   0   49   1

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:43:08 AM »
I think you are going to see us go to a pro set with QB under center.  Pelini hinted to the fact that the OL is weak in lateral movement.  The way to fix that is power football with a FB.  Lets see what the game plan is for this week.  We don't have a mobile QB.  Hunter got better from game 1 to game 2. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 09:24:30 AM »
The least amount of points scored on SIU (3-6/1-5) was 17 by Murray State.  SIU is in the bottom three in every major defensive category.  Alumni playing this game should score on SIU.

The SIU offense looks like a mostly pass-oriented offense led by Senior QB Josh Straughan. Fortunately we have the Valley's best pass D and total D.

Massey gives YSU an 80% chance of winning and predicts a score of 28 (!) -17.  The spread is not yet available.

I don't see this going well for SIU.  It's true they beat USD and most of their losses were by one score.  We've got freaks on defense that are going to just shut them down offensively.  No matter who the QB is, we should at least get 2-3 rushing TDs.  YSU 24-10
2 points.  1st, our alumni offense is better than the current offense.  2nd 28 points is a LOT of punt returns and pick 6's in one game.  Not too sure about that!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »
I think you are going to see us go to a pro set with QB under center.  Pelini hinted to the fact that the OL is weak in lateral movement.  The way to fix that is power football with a FB.  Lets see what the game plan is for this week.  We don't have a mobile QB.  Hunter got better from game 1 to game 2.
I agree, plus we can get the play action going..Wells just needs time to throw and survey the field
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:35:26 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
We have had a power set in all of our games, but it has come in the second-half. It won 3-games now. Heck that won the ILS and UNI games in dramatic fashion. Perhaps installing it early in a hope to drain our opposing defenses is the plan and a good thing. I know it will certainly help us in the post-season if we hide our up-tempo offense until then. However, we still need to get Wells back onto the groove.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »
We have had a power set in all of our games, but it has come in the second-half. It won 3-games now. Heck that won the ILS and UNI games in dramatic fashion. Perhaps installing it early in a hope to drain our opposing defenses is the plan and a good thing. I know it will certainly help us in the post-season if we hide our up-tempo offense until then. However, we still need to get Wells back onto the groove.

We do not run an up tempo offense.  Just because we do not huddle does not mean that we are running up tempo.  They look back to the side line to get the play call.  This does two bad things IMOP.  #1 it takes all of the decision making out of the QB's hands.  #2 the QB never learns to read the defense. 

We have big problems and fold like a BIG12 team when facing a good defense.  Tell me why there have been very few successful Big 12 QB's in the pros......................you know why?  Because NONE of them can read a defense, but they can certainly pass to a spot on the field. 

I think Montgomery has gotten worse over time.  Perhaps it is complacency (who knows).  All I can say is that he has won two big games in the last 8 years, and during the years with a bad defense, he made some calls that allowed the other team to get the ball and cost us games as well.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:24:43 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »
Good points Power. However, I disagree that we did not run up-tempo until this year. When we break for the ball, our opponents have to set their defense; who cares when we snap the ball? After that we just hope the wait-time gives us a possibility of an off-sides penalty. I stopped getting mad at that in Monty's first year. I am in full agreement on your pattern passing comments, especially as it relates to our INT percentage. I think Wells needs to set himself better on the throws. It is clear he throws a good ball when he has time. This also brings the line back into the discussion.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:52:47 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »

Yes we agree on this.  It needs to be run more and is part of my criticism

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »
2 games to get the O on track. If we do that we win and make the playoffs.  If the coaches find what works here and stick to it, that's a lot to be excited about.

We can make some noise post season with this defense. Even an offense that would have been considered average in past seasons under Coach M would be plenty of production.

Let's all try to relax and see what happens. I like the passion on the board, it shows we care whats going on.

I'm done arguing about coaches and players, it's obvious to all of us where our deficiencies lie. If we don't get them fixed, and soon, we will have a long off season to argue about them. I can safely predict that we will have a record setting year for banned message board users if we miss the playoffs.  :-[