Author Topic: Favorable Playoff Scenario  (Read 38260 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Favorable Playoff Scenario
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »
I am still hearing we are the TV game. There is no way we get St. Francis if we are the TV game. We were the round-1 TV game in our last appearance (2006) and what team did we draw? JMU. They sent the OVC winner to WIU who tied us for the MVFC crown. I can see St. Francis if we have no other MVFC teams (above us) in our half and it is not televised on ESPN2. In 2006 both YSU and JMU deserved home games for round-1.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 10:13:24 PM »
I'm for one just happy to be in the playoffs.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2016, 04:53:30 AM »
Are we in?  Is it official?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 06:33:02 AM »
There is no point in arguing about which QB should be playing when none of them will improve past their sophomore year anyway.  That is how it has been for the last 7 years.  The QB's lose all of their instincts and previous coaching.
Since the W.V. game I have noticed teams have played Davis, Hosick, and Mays the same. They load up the box and give you the option of throwing if you dare. That  bottled up Ruiz and Webb in space and cut down the receiver's ability to block downfield. With Hunter they drop back more players in coverage and this allows Ruiz and Webb to get into space and it makes the receiver's and lineman's job much easier. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is why we have had success on the ground the last couple of weeks. The good thing here is we are keeping our quarterback healthy and letting the running backs do what they were brought in to do

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 06:48:42 AM »
I am still hearing we are the TV game. There is no way we get St. Francis if we are the TV game. We were the round-1 TV game in our last appearance (2006) and what team did we draw? JMU. They sent the OVC winner to WIU who tied us for the MVFC crown. I can see St. Francis if we have no other MVFC teams (above us) in our half and it is not televised on ESPN2. In 2006 both YSU and JMU deserved home games for round-1.
The one favorable T.V. match up I could see 1AA is Villanova
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:51:23 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »
There is no point in arguing about which QB should be playing when none of them will improve past their sophomore year anyway.  That is how it has been for the last 7 years.  The QB's lose all of their instincts and previous coaching.
Since the W.V. game I have noticed teams have played Davis, Hosick, and Mays the same. They load up the box and give you the option of throwing if you dare. That  bottled up Ruiz and Webb in space and cut down the receiver's ability to block downfield. With Hunter they drop back more players in coverage and this allows Ruiz and Webb to get into space and it makes the receiver's and lineman's job much easier. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is why we have had success on the ground the last couple of weeks. The good thing here is we are keeping our quarterback healthy and letting the running backs do what they were brought in to do

It is true our rushing yards have improved since Wells became QB, although Wells has faced lower ranked rushing Ds (2/3 games versus teams ranked in bottom 3 ). However, with Wells our passing yards are down.  In MVFC play, we averaged 158 passing yards/game pre-Wells, and 105 passing yards with Wells.  What makes those stats more compelling is that we got more passing yards pre-Wells with the top two pass Ds in the MVFC not named YSU (UNI and SDSU).

Wells most passing yards so far, 126 versus SIU (who has the worst pass D we've faced in conference play), is beat by every pre-Wells game sans one (UNI, the top pass D).

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2016, 11:25:22 AM »
222 NDSU you take what a defense gives you..Hopefully Ricky can return..Bo mentioned in his press conference yesterday that Ricky was going back in to see the doctor and if he can return you could see some similar packages like we had last year
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:00:51 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2016, 12:01:54 PM »
Would be great to get Ricky some snaps before the playoffs.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »
I agree fever and 4 ...last year Ricky had more questionable passing skills, so it was pretty much a 90% chance that he was going to run. I feel that this is why Montgomery has called a couple of those the last 2-games with Mays and has been mostly successful In my opinion this is because they know Mays can throw. Now everyone knows Davis can throw ...so the success rate should be higher & he could easily step in for Mays or Wells.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2016, 04:10:37 PM »
You guys and your "Davis can throw" is interesting, if very much unproven, but Mays?  You guys watch any of his game action?  He throws like a girl.  (with all due respect to Hillary) 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »
I agree fever and 4 ...last year Ricky had more questionable passing skills, so it was pretty much a 90% chance that he was going to run. I feel that this is why Montgomery has called a couple of those the last 2-games with Mays and has been mostly successful In my opinion this is because they know Mays can throw. Now everyone knows Davis can throw ...so the success rate should be higher & he could easily step in for Mays or Wells.
I agree..It certainly was effective at times last year even though Ricky didnt throw much, plus it never hurts to give defenses more to think about. We could see more packages with Mays this week, However I don't know comfortable the staff is with that considering we only have two active quarterbacks on the roster
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:07:41 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2016, 09:21:35 PM »
Four MVFC teams deserve to be in. Two more especially if they win Saturday.

NDSU, SDSU, and YSU......no explanation necessary.

ISUr (6-5/4-4), wins over SDSU and Northwestern, and ended the season w/ 3 straight wins. Sagarin rating #107....only 6 non-MVFC schools have a higher rating, and five of those six will be autobids. 

UNI (5-5/4-3).  Don't punish them for a competitive OOC schedule.  Beat Iowa State, and if beats SDSU they will also finish the season with 3 straight wins.  Has a Sagarin rating of 76..only two FCS teams have a higher rating (NDSU and EWU). Should the third highest ranked FCS team be denied the playoffs?

WIU (6-4/3-4)  Beat NIU.  If (really when) they beat SIU, they'll be 7-4/4-4....any 7-4 valley team should be in.  Only 13 non-MVFC schools have a better Sagarin rating, and six of them will be autobids.  Surely they belong in the 16 at-large invites.

Fordham (7-3), who must have a cousin in the selection committee, has a Sagarin rating of 163 and squeaks by its crappy conference opponents with narrow wins, is somehow a bubble team.  There is NFW, even w/ a win over Bucknell tomorrow, they should take a spot away from either UNI or WIU, esp if they win.  Same w/ Weber State and all of the other pretenders.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2016, 06:50:44 AM »
Four MVFC teams deserve to be in. Two more especially if they win Saturday.

NDSU, SDSU, and YSU......no explanation necessary.

ISUr (6-5/4-4), wins over SDSU and Northwestern, and ended the season w/ 3 straight wins. Sagarin rating #107....only 6 non-MVFC schools have a higher rating, and five of those six will be autobids. 

UNI (5-5/4-3).  Don't punish them for a competitive OOC schedule.  Beat Iowa State, and if beats SDSU they will also finish the season with 3 straight wins.  Has a Sagarin rating of 76..only two FCS teams have a higher rating (NDSU and EWU). Should the third highest ranked FCS team be denied the playoffs?

WIU (6-4/3-4)  Beat NIU.  If (really when) they beat SIU, they'll be 7-4/4-4....any 7-4 valley team should be in.  Only 13 non-MVFC schools have a better Sagarin rating, and six of them will be autobids.  Surely they belong in the 16 at-large invites.

Fordham (7-3), who must have a cousin in the selection committee, has a Sagarin rating of 163 and squeaks by its crappy conference opponents with narrow wins, is somehow a bubble team.  There is NFW, even w/ a win over Bucknell tomorrow, they should take a spot away from either UNI or WIU, esp if they win.  Same w/ Weber State and all of the other pretenders.

Technically I say leave UNI out.  Over the years their Athletic Director held a position on the selection committee and voted to leave us out even when we had 7 division 1 wins. I believe that one year we had 8 wins and voted to leave us out.  Payback is a b****.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
Wagner     24
St Francis    0.  Halftime