Author Topic: Favorable Playoff Scenario  (Read 39544 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Favorable Playoff Scenario
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »
For what it's worth I think Lehigh would be a much more entertaining game. Drive time is about 2.5 hours different then St. Francis

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 06:27:34 AM »
I believe we are in regardless of the outcome next week.  The playoff bubble is a mess right now.  I don't think the team can risk it though.  There have been too man times where we've had 7 wins and were left out.  We don't have an FBS win so that also impacts is in the eyes of the committee.

The historical precedent had always been:  #of wins, timing of wins (that means they don't Li teams that lose in November), out of conference performance, and GPI (Grid Iron Power Index).  And then they apply their own arbitrary self interest calibration which is complete BS.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »
I've heard from a very good source if we win this week it will be St. Francis at home..Then the winner of that game will travel to James Madison

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »
I've heard from a very good source if we win this week it will be St. Francis at home..Then the winner of that game will travel to James Madison

For me, the important part of your post is “if we win"!  All this crap about "we're in already" doesn't sound very encouraging to me.  Every win we have is against and inferior opponent and we haven't done much against the teams better than us.  (played well against WVA but score doesn't say much)  With no "signature win" we can't take anything for granted.  This is an "Al Davis" week.   "Just win, baby!"
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 12:22:04 PM »

For me, the important part of your post is “if we win"!  All this crap about "we're in already" doesn't sound very encouraging to me.  Every win we have is against and inferior opponent and we haven't done much against the teams better than us.  (played well against WVA but score doesn't say much)  With no "signature win" we can't take anything for granted.  This is an "Al Davis" week.   "Just win, baby!"

I agree.  I was just stating that the bubble is a mess.  We would be an easy choice with 7 D1 wins

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »

I heard that ESPN will cover Round-I (which seemed unlikely previously) and the two scheduled games are at SDSU and at YSU. They will channel Richmond and/or Villanova to travel to the castle. If that is true then SDSU must have post-season lighting and I understood they did not meet the 100 candle-power requirement. I can look that up, should be posted somewhere. People at Montana are saying they will host SDSU.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
Overall attendance was up this year and the 6-0 record benefited from that. I think we can do even better should the Guins win this weekend and bring a post-season game home with their "W".

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »
I can't help but chuckle a little bit at all the "hosting" questions for teams that don't yet have bids.  Let's not get the cart before the horse!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 04:43:49 PM »
Go Guins the bracket this year will be in our favor if we take care of business at Missouri St. Last year all the Missouri conference teams were put on one side of the bracket. This year NDSU and SDSU will be put on one side and the rest on the other side. Wouldn't it be fun to have a chance at the Bison or Jackrabbit's again in Frisco?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 04:45:21 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »
Tressel was interviewed at halftime and said the time when your team peaks is critical.  This team peaked early in the season, I'd say WVU, and has fallen off since.  The last three weeks we've either lost or squeaked by the bottom teams of the MVFC.  The second round will be against a seeded team, and we've not been competitive in any of the games versus currently ranked teams.  Since we are barely beating ISUb and SIU, I don't think we'd again beat ISUr or UNI if we faced them again.  Playing with a QB who routinely gets negative yards rushing ( and still isn't ranked in the top 10 of any conference passing stats, although Mays is) is playing with one hand tied behind your back.  A Chevy Cobalt will never drive like a Ferrari no matter how much you drive it, or say it just needs more time (even though its had a ton of time.  *bad example...Cobalts are not stationary*

Only one team (Murray State) scored less on SIU than YSU. No one scored less than YSU against NDSU (MSU also scored 3).  No one scored less than we did against ISUb.  See a pattern? 

Compare that to #9/#10 WVU (8-1/5-1).  Only two teams so far scored more on WVU than YSU.

Round two can be won, but like Sun Tzu wrote, "the battle is always won or lost long before the armies take the field."  I want to be proven wrong, but this team can go deep this year, but won't unless you play with a QB with a complete skill set.  You can't limp and stumble your way into the playoffs with an offense ranked in the bottom two of the Valley in scoring O, passing O, and total O...and expect a round two win.

With Mays, we would've likely also beat SIU and ISUb, and lost to NDSU, but this kid with potential could've gained valuable experience before the playoffs.  Again, I want to be proven wrong, but we are doing everything we can to  prevent a deep run.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 06:37:22 PM »
Dear Lord, Now we are going to blame coach Bo for sabotaging our deep playoff chances by not starting Mays. At the end of the day it was strictly Bo's decision and know one elses. Then again we all seem to know more then the coach on this board

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »
Dear Lord, Now we are going to blame coach Bo for sabotaging our deep playoff chances by not starting Mays. At the end of the day it was strictly Bo's decision and know one elses. Then again we all seem to know more then the coach on this board

On point!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »
Tressel was interviewed at halftime and said the time when your team peaks is critical.  This team peaked early in the season, I'd say WVU, and has fallen off since.  The last three weeks we've either lost or squeaked by the bottom teams of the MVFC.  The second round will be against a seeded team, and we've not been competitive in any of the games versus currently ranked teams.  Since we are barely beating ISUb and SIU, I don't think we'd again beat ISUr or UNI if we faced them again.  Playing with a QB who routinely gets negative yards rushing ( and still isn't ranked in the top 10 of any conference passing stats, although Mays is) is playing with one hand tied behind your back.  A Chevy Cobalt will never drive like a Ferrari no matter how much you drive it, or say it just needs more time (even though its had a ton of time.  *bad example...Cobalts are not stationary*

Only one team (Murray State) scored less on SIU than YSU. No one scored less than YSU against NDSU (MSU also scored 3).  No one scored less than we did against ISUb.  See a pattern? 

Compare that to #9/#10 WVU (8-1/5-1).  Only two teams so far scored more on WVU than YSU.

Round two can be won, but like Sun Tzu wrote, "the battle is always won or lost long before the armies take the field."  I want to be proven wrong, but this team can go deep this year, but won't unless you play with a QB with a complete skill set.  You can't limp and stumble your way into the playoffs with an offense ranked in the bottom two of the Valley in scoring O, passing O, and total O...and expect a round two win.

With Mays, we would've likely also beat SIU and ISUb, and lost to NDSU, but this kid with potential could've gained valuable experience before the playoffs.  Again, I want to be proven wrong, but we are doing everything we can to  prevent a deep run.

Basically all this translates is anybody but Wells.  We are knocking on the door of finally qualifying for the playoffs.  Just heard Coach say that Wells is improving every game and regaining his confidence.  I think Pelini gets it.  Do you?  Wells had no Turnovers last week. He does that every week we could make a run.  Like Coach Stoops said tonight ' How lucky are we to have a guy that was 3rd string with all that game experience. Coming from a name like Stoops which is one of the biggest names in college football should mean something , right?   
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »
On the radio show tonight Bob Hannon had Mike Kern on from the MVFC who stated that no matter what YSU is in for playoffs.  MVFC will get 4 in for sure, possibly 5 depending on how things pan out this weekend.  Heard that we will possibly host at 5:00 Saturday. 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

ValleyTalk

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »
Good thing Pelini didn't let Hannon talk about the playoffs. The last thing this team should be thinking about right now is that we are safe for the playoffs. Let's just go win and leave no doubt Saturday! Play as though it is a must-win.