Author Topic: NCAA Play-Off Committee announces block buster.  (Read 14937 times)

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NCAA Play-Off Committee announces block buster.
« on: November 01, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »
1AA just heard this on the NDSU forum. Can you research this for clarity. I often miss  what I look at.
Morehead State Athletic Director Brian Hutchinson, the new chair of the FCS Playoffs Committee, dropped the bomb that the committee would be releasing a WEEKLY RANKING on its top ten before Selection Sunday.
The first reveal comes on THURSDAY.

Three points the chair stated in the interview with NDSU broadcasters were 1. Looking to possible start of another bracket.  2. In the tournament the committee will attempt to avoid conference matchups and regional matchups. 3. Games won (strength of schedule) especially the out of conference games (dismissed are games against Division II and NAIA teams) are very important since once the conference schedule begins the strength of conference schedule is all they have to work with. Playing teams such as Eastern Washington and Montana and winning are extremely important.

Remember their are 24 teams selected now but the top ten teams in the early poll certainly meet the criteria now for selection by the NCAA committee. This will be the  first time revelation of where teams stand is publicized well ahead of selection Sunday.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Play-Off Committee announces block buster.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »
How does a top 10 list help anything other than revealing who might be seeded?  NC A&T is 7-1 and ranked #10.  Of course they'll be selected.  Why not have a top 30, and see who is on the bubble?

2. In the tournament the committee will attempt to avoid conference matchups and regional matchups.

About damn time

3. Games won (strength of schedule) especially the out of conference games (dismissed are games against Division II and NAIA teams) are very important since once the conference schedule begins the strength of conference schedule is all they have to work with. Playing teams such as Eastern Washington and Montana and winning are extremely important.

shhhh...ppl get their panties in a bunch when you criticize our OOC schedule, the moRon who schedules it, and its negative impact on playoff selection. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
I will see what I can find. SOS has always been a component. What people were lobbying for is to have the FBS games dropped along with the sub-DI games ...but the committee seems intent on keep all DI classified as is, despite obvious disadvantage of FCS as compared to FBS.

The ranking really means nothing if it is not in a bracket. That I find hard to believe will happen. DIII has the best model and I would suspect this is where we are going as well. They do not even look at teams initially, everything is location and region and conference ...as it should be. It hurts the stronger conferences though, but gives a much more fair approach to participation. Look at the increased performance of the Big South as they gained more exposure to the play-off. Two teams a serious discussion. On the other hand it is clear that some conferences are simply deeper than others.

The only moron will be the one that considers OOC schedule more important than (or even near equal to) conference schedule.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:17:59 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
They are finding a way to leave us out.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 06:50:45 PM »
Well, Bobby Morris and Duquesne aren't going to help us any. Thanks Strollo.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 07:25:11 PM »
It really is this simple and we all know it.  Win 2 out of our last 3 and we are 100% in the playoffs.   Lose 2 out of 3 and then the OOC discussion is legit!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:18:46 PM »

Why not?

Both are FCS schools. We won both games. The Dukes were a playoff team in 2015, losing by 3 to Bill and Mary. Not like they were blown away, they proved they belonged.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 12:25:33 AM »
Just garbage programs in the fcs...geesh!!

Wish NDSU UNI Youngstown Montana could join a FBS group

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »

Why not?

Both are FCS schools. We won both games. The Dukes were a playoff team in 2015, losing by 3 to Bill and Mary. Not like they were blown away, they proved they belonged.

Give up on him. Hateful trolling is hateful trolling.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »

Agreed

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »

Agreed
DISAGREE
Look at the mess Akron has themselves in with trying to maintain a 1-A program.  Youngstown would be WORSE, not better.  This would be a disaster for YSU.  Perhaps you guys would like to get a map out someday and put pins in Fargo, Missoula, Cedar Falls, and Youngstown.  Please note, the pins are all in North America (barely in the case of Fargo)  This assocation makes absolutely NO sense.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
Never thought I would say this, but it looks like just 4 teams from our conference will be getting in..NDS, SDS, WIU, and YSU. S.D. would more then likely have to win out with 2 of their games  being against N.D.S. and S.D.S..Should be interesting

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:33:44 AM »

Agreed
DISAGREE
Look at the mess Akron has themselves in with trying to maintain a 1-A program.  Youngstown would be WORSE, not better.  This would be a disaster for YSU.  Perhaps you guys would like to get a map out someday and put pins in Fargo, Missoula, Cedar Falls, and Youngstown.  Please note, the pins are all in North America (barely in the case of Fargo)  This assocation makes absolutely NO sense.

I think you missed Lakes point. I believe he was leaning towards regional groups. YSU= MAC etc,,

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »

Agreed
DISAGREE

YSU does not meet the FBS requirement of 15K average attendance, and prolly can't afford 82 scholarships (let alone FCOA scholarships).  Most MAC schools are on an unsustainable fiscal path and can only run up the credit card so long.  My guess is a few MAC schools will stay FBS, but most of the conference will drop to FCS, and invite YSU to replace a school that stayed FBS....prolly w/in 10 years.

The MVFC schools that already offer FCOA (NDSU, INU, and USD) have no biz being in a subdivision with nonscholly and partial scholly schools.  It's ridiculous.  I think the G5 and top FCS schools should merge, and most of the FCS drop to D2....and eliminate the Dayton rule.

Regarding the OOC schedule, a win over RMU (Sagarin #225) or Duquesne (#193) does not equal a win over EWU (#77) or Montana (#105).  The pollsters know this, and the selection committee is saying as plainly as they know how that they acknowledge this.  By scheduling OOC cupcakes, moRon is sabotaging our playoff ambitions.  The rationale that "we might lose if we play legit FCS schools" is a the same as claiming we do not deserve to be in the playoffs.  There is no glory in beating partial scholly NEC schools, and it does not prep us for conference play.  It is an absurdity from every aspect.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »

Agreed
DISAGREE

YSU does not meet the FBS requirement of 15K average attendance, and prolly can't afford 82 scholarships (let alone FCOA scholarships).  Most MAC schools are on an unsustainable fiscal path and can only run up the credit card so long.  My guess is a few MAC schools will stay FBS, but most of the conference will drop to FCS, and invite YSU to replace a school that stayed FBS....prolly w/in 10 years.

The MVFC schools that already offer FCOA (NDSU, INU, and USD) have no biz being in a subdivision with nonscholly and partial scholly schools.  It's ridiculous.  I think the G5 and top FCS schools should merge, and most of the FCS drop to D2....and eliminate the Dayton rule.

Regarding the OOC schedule, a win over RMU (Sagarin #225) or Duquesne (#193) does not equal a win over EWU (#77) or Montana (#105).  The pollsters know this, and the selection committee is saying as plainly as they know how that they acknowledge this.  By scheduling OOC cupcakes, moRon is sabotaging our playoff ambitions.  The rationale that "we might lose if we play legit FCS schools" is a the same as claiming we do not deserve to be in the playoffs.  There is no glory in beating partial scholly NEC schools, and it does not prep us for conference play.  It is an absurdity from every aspect.

I agree with you, I'd like to see better OOC's, but it don't seem to add up with Massey's rating for SOS?

YSU's SOS is ranked #7 nationally in FCS.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605