Author Topic: Indiana St. game week.  (Read 13352 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Indiana St. game week.
« on: October 24, 2016, 06:15:41 AM »
Time to move on.  Looks like they like to throw. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana St. game week.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »
Massey gives us the strongest probability of a win versus ISUb than any other team we face the rest of the season, and only predicts one more loss, and we are heavily favored in all remaining non-NDSU games.  Our only losses are to undefeated #10/#9 WVU, and the assumed MVFC 2016 champs SDSU who have defeated the reigning FCS champs.  Not bad...but not great....we still expect championship caliber teams.

Offensively, ISUb has more passing yards than SDSU, but is last in the MVFC in rushing offense (we are first).  ISUb leads the conference in first downs, but we've allowed the least.  Interestingly, their sophomore QB Isaac Harker, has minus 75 rushing yards.  For comparison, Streveler from USD has +479.

Defensively, ISUb has allowed more rushing TDs than any other Valley team. They've allowed 19, we've allowed one.  ISUb has allowed the most TDs (34), we've allowed the least (12).  We still have the top Valley total D and passing D.  ISUb is last in red zone D, we are #9  :o .  Butler scored 25 on ISUb, and MO St 45.  ISUb is as opposite to YSU as it can be in terms of strengths/weaknesses.

We will be in the playoffs this year, and seeded if we run the table.  Now is the time to prepare for the playoff run.  I'd let Davis rest, and start Mays.  I'd focus on fundamentals with Mays, reading defenses, going through progressions, and limiting turnovers.  We should have >35 minutes in TOP.  The DEs had no sacks last week.  I'd work on harassing Harker all game.  Good opportunity to work on pass D.  Good opportunity to address some serious deficiencies offensively so we can move toward NDSU and the playoffs in the best possible shape.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:59:04 PM »
Nation pretty much nailed it.  Three out of the four remaining opponents are bad teams.  Time to stop feeling sorry for ourselves, roll up our sleeves, and get better.  I would also start Mays as Davis might be best equipped to come off the bench, just as he did several times last season.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
The Penguins have to win in October and November to get to the play-offs.  There are no easy games in our conference.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »
I think we should cancel all the games and just go with this Massey guy.  If he was that good, you guys would all have Trump/Clinton money betting on the games! 

YSU1 has it 100% correct, there are no easy games in the MVFC.  This instant we think ISU is easy, it's 5-3 for the season!  With our offense, every game is going to be close even if we pitch a shutout!   The last couple games we are averaging 12 points a game.  I don't see how we can score many more without help, so you get a pick-6 (something we seem to give up a lot) or a punt/kick return or a 65 yard TE drag accross the middle like Saturday's first play and you're in a 1 score game is a big quick hurry.  Look at what the buckeyes did Saturday night.  Couple mistakes and ballgame.  We have no cushion.

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 02:02:43 PM »
YSU favored by 16.5.  O/U 52.5.

Geez..a three score favorite.  As much confidence I have in a victory, I'd stay away from both the spread and the O/U.  SDSU only minus 6.5 @ISU r.....very tempting.

I'm not saying the team should lounge, drink beer, and binge Netflix.  I'm just saying it's a great opportunity to address weaknesses and work on fundamentals with a new QB.  These are skills he will need in the playoffs.  Similarly, I thought Davis should've started the MO St game last year for similar reasons. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 03:36:07 PM »

Geez..a three score favorite.  As much confidence I have in a victory, I'd stay away from both the spread and the O/U.  SDSU only minus 6.5 @ISU r.....very tempting.

I'm not saying the team should lounge, drink beer, and binge Netflix.  I'm just saying it's a great opportunity to address weaknesses and work on fundamentals with a new QB.  These are skills he will need in the playoffs.  Similarly, I thought Davis should've started the MO St game last year for similar reasons.

I LOVE the under.  52-1/2???  No way ISU scores 17, so maybe 14 max, that means YSU scores 38 and I still win the under?  Anybody see this team scoring 38?  No, me either.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »

I LOVE the under.  52-1/2???  No way ISU scores 17, so maybe 14 max, that means YSU scores 38 and I still win the under?  Anybody see this team scoring 38?  No, me either.

You are prolly right, but the least points ISUb has put up this year is 22.  Their offense doesn't suck.  I know our offense has its issues, but I would not be surprised if multiple RBs, including even Alessi, take it to the house.  Even Butler put up 25 on the Trees. If we can't at least match Butler, we have some serious soul searching to do. If I had to throw out a prediction, I'd say 35-17....just under by a d hair.

I think its a risky bet.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 04:53:42 PM »

I laughed so hard at that. Yeah, unless the offense magically kicks into high gear and stays that way for playoffs (highly unlikely, but an awesome scenario) no way YSU gets 38. Realistic number, and this is probably pushing it, is like 21. Thats still kinda higher than I would expect  :-[

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:54:33 PM by The YO Show »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 05:21:59 PM »
At the midway point in the league season, conference-only statistics start to have real meaning.  Now our offense has been terrible.  No argument there.  But consider that in the three game stretch against Illinois State, Northern Iowa, and South Dakota State we went up against the #5, 2, and 4 defenses respectively.  Discounting NDSU, we now get to go up against the #7, 8, and 10 defenses that break down like this:

(conference games only.)

Indiana State       yielding 31.8 points and 411.0 yards
Southern Illinois   yielding 35.0 points and 437.2 yards
Missouri State      yielding 37.5 points and 456.8 yards

If the offense can not move the ball and score against these guys, then their act of sabotage will be complete.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 05:24:09 PM »
Let's not forget this team has beating us the last two years and I look for a real challenge this Saturday. They are sitting at 4-4 with 2 very close loses against quality MVC teams..This is their playoff game and they know it. They lead the conference in first downs and know how to keep the chains moving. This really concerns me because of the lack of offensive output we are getting. Currently we are a 3 to 1 ratio run/ pass in conference and that's why we lead the conference in rushing, but our yards per carry average is starting to go down..if they can find ways to get off the field on 3rd down and they have their offense in high gear it could be interesting..at this point I'm not really sure we have the offense to put 20 points up on them
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:29:27 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 06:15:30 PM »
Let's not forget this team has beating us the last two years and I look for a real challenge this Saturday. They are sitting at 4-4 with 2 very close loses against quality MVC teams..This is their playoff game and they know it. They lead the conference in first downs and know how to keep the chains moving. This really concerns me because of the lack of offensive output we are getting. Currently we are a 3 to 1 ratio run/ pass in conference and that's why we lead the conference in rushing, but our yards per carry average is starting to go down..if they can find ways to get off the field on 3rd down and they have their offense in high gear it could be interesting..at this point I'm not really sure we have the offense to put 20 points up on them

Our yards per carry went down last week because the bonehead passed the ball too early

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 10:18:06 AM »

'Our yards per carry went down last week because the bonehead passed the ball too early"

HUH?  Our yards per carry went down because we were beaten up front most of the day.  Don't forget, our yards per carry the week before were, what 3.6?  that 22 play drive was because we were "3 yards and a cloud of dust".  and we ended up going on a couple of 4th downs just to barely get 10.  Against good competition our OL has been marginal at best.  QB's under pressure, not much running room.  "Throwing early" is a weak attempt to transfer blame to the OC from the OL.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 11:01:40 AM »

'Our yards per carry went down last week because the bonehead passed the ball too early"

HUH?  Our yards per carry went down because we were beaten up front most of the day.  Don't forget, our yards per carry the week before were, what 3.6?  that 22 play drive was because we were "3 yards and a cloud of dust".  and we ended up going on a couple of 4th downs just to barely get 10.  Against good competition our OL has been marginal at best.  QB's under pressure, not much running room.  "Throwing early" is a weak attempt to transfer blame to the OC from the OL.

What I'm saying is that running the ball takes time....time to wear on the other teams.  Against UNI we didn't run well until the second half.  We shouldn't have abandoned the run so fast.  That is my point.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »

What I'm saying is that running the ball takes time....time to wear on the other teams.  Against UNI we didn't run well until the second half.  We shouldn't have abandoned the run so fast.  That is my point.
We didn't run well early with Davis on the field.  When Mays came in the team kind of said "we should win this game, and we are going to win, we have to do it ourselves"  We played really hard the second half, but I think it was our emotion for Mays much more than wearing down UNI.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:07:22 PM by IAA Fan »