Author Topic: Quarterback Situation  (Read 14201 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Quarterback Situation
« on: October 17, 2016, 02:38:56 PM »
For the year we are 62 for 118 with 7 td's and 8 int's. In conference play we are 26 for 56 with 1 td and 6 int's. The good thing is we are sitting at 5-1. It is my understanding that Hunters shoulder is just fine, but he is on his way out and can't play..We need to move forward with what we have and forget about the possibility of him playing this year. Having only 2 quarterback's on a roster is a offensive coordinator's worst nightmare and a defensive coordinators dream come true. Keep in mind we still have half the season to go plus the playoffs if we can make it. Monty will have to be very selective with what he does with the quarterback play from here on out. The Defense will have the upper hand in how they defend us..at some point we need to start being more productive in the passing game 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Quarterback Situation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
Nice post Fever; what do you think will work on establishing a better pass game? I think option could work, but that is just as bad on the QB ...if not worse. Does anyone know the rules on partial season athletes? I do have a lot of faith in Montgomery though and I think that if Wells continues to work with the team and is willing to do scout this week ...we will be okay.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »
Wells is still hurt. Hurt enough to where he can't even throw the ball on scout team. It's going to be Davis and Mays the rest of the year. It's defense or bust for this team.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:59:44 PM »
One thing that hampers the pass game is the QB isn't getting any help from the receivers.  We need some separation and somebody to “go get the ball” once in a while.   

We are also going to need to shorten up the routes.  The INT's on Saturday were late and long across the middle.  Need to be shorter and quicker.  Hard for a kid, but otherwise you get ints.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:13:42 AM »
Nice post Fever; what do you think will work on establishing a better pass game? I think option could work, but that is just as bad on the QB ...if not worse. Does anyone know the rules on partial season athletes? I do have a lot of faith in Montgomery though and I think that if Wells continues to work with the team and is willing to do scout this week ...we will be okay.
I agree with 1AA on the option. The debate on hitting the Qb will wage on forever and it's not a easy call for the official's to make. Most often then not it is acceptable to them unless there is a deliberate blow to the head. Our defense would not treat defending the option play any differently. I don't know the extent of Ricky's injury, but it seemed like his knee/leg got buckled pretty good on the running play. He's a tough kid and for him not to return to the game tells alot. I don't know how you can risk him playing this week unless he is strictly going to hand off and throw from the pocket. On Nathan's int he made the mistake of rolling out and throwing back across his body under pressure..That's just youth. I feel there are some high percentage passes Shane could put in for him. I just don't think he is ready to throw into the heart of a Missouri conference defense. It was a really good sign for him to find Webb on the Wheel route up the sidelines. Our weakness right now at quarterback is the ability to read defense's and we are using the run to set up the pass..Bottom line this is just a tough situation to be in right now

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »
Hope we surprise them with a lot of passing      when the going gets tough the tough get going!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:36:22 PM »
Davis practiced with the first team today..Mays got increased snaps.. Wells was not available..Not sure who ran scout team
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:38:51 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:26:50 PM »
Not that it matters but if Wells was in the offense that we ran after we put Mays in he would have destroyed the panthers upfield in his passing.  Davis is a marked Man the same thing happened to Dante after 3 or games they will dare you to throw and dare you to run.   Our D bailed us out last week and if I was Monty Mays should play this week. Our D is our savior and this year.  Game plan Ruiz 20+ Touches and Webb needs to be spotted and isolated for 15 touches.  We will not get away with a passing game of under 100 yds this week.  We need 125-150 to win. Not that hard get it Webb in the slot or flat.  Radar seems like he could be a weapon as well use bubble screens and shorter routes to minimize hits and protect or QB's. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »
Forget Wells - he is looking to transfer.  Won't see him in a Penguin uniform again..wants to maintain another year of eligibility.  Davis and Mays are what we have to work with from here on out.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »
I know he is leaving. Not the point. Monty didn't adjust his offense to a QB that we gave what 20 games too.  Good coaches game plan and scheme to there players abilities .  Anyways we are 5-1.  Let's ride this and have some fun. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »
Wells is back at practice today slinging the rock and working with the starting receiver's on timing routes..His shoulder must be feeling better

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 08:48:21 PM »
Wells is back at practice today slinging the rock and working with the starting receiver's on timing routes..His shoulder must be feeling better

Check your pm

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:17 PM »
Wells was running scout team from what I've heard. Ricky is good to go for saturday.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 07:49:22 AM »
With only one non senior QB on the roster for next year, what QBs are we targeting in recruiting ?

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 08:02:24 AM »
i wonder if we could flip the stow qb from his buffalo commitment