Author Topic: Money Games  (Read 6132 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Money Games
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
I had an interesting conversation with FCS fans today. I asked them if YSU won out and defeated NDSU (with NDSU ending the season with only that one loss), should YSU be ranked higher. Every single one of then said "no". Granted many of them were probably Bison people, but still ...the only logical reason was the FBS win. I am more convinced than ever that the NCAA needs to unilaterally ban  FBS vs FCS games. Here we would finish the season as MVFC champs, undefeated in FCS play and still be behind someone that we defeated. Everyone of us knows that Iowa would defeat NDSU 9 out of 10 times they meet. YSU's record against Iowa would be the same. FYI, not a single one of them mentioned FCS non-conference schedule.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Money Games
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »
I had an interesting conversation with FCS fans today. I asked them if YSU won out and defeated NDSU (with NDSU ending the season with only that one loss), should YSU be ranked higher. Every single one of then said "no". Granted many of them were probably Bison people, but still ...the only logical reason was the FBS win. I am more convinced than ever that the NCAA needs to unilaterally ban  FBS vs FCS games. Here we would finish the season as MVFC champs, undefeated in FCS play and still be behind someone that we defeated. Everyone of us knows that Iowa would defeat NDSU 9 out of 10 times they meet. YSU's record against Iowa would be the same. FYI, not a single one of them mentioned FCS non-conference schedule.

I've never understood the mindset that you can beat someone close to you in the rankings and not pass them. That had to be delusional NDSU nonsense.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:52:14 PM »
IAA, if you are suggesting that it is bias due to the majority of them being NDSU fans, then that is one thing. However, it is more likely that in your scenario (assuming NDSU also wins out and only loses to the Penguins besides the Penguins winning out) that the direct head to head game is taken as an abstract. They then look at name recognition and recent success (along with FCS strength of schedule). Who did you ask the question of? What were the parameters?

Beyond that, if you want any proof that FCS fan opinions do not dictate FCS playoffs with regards to the impressiveness of a pedigree due to beating an FBS team, look no further than YSU 2012. That was the 0-for-october year. We had been ranked as 3rd in the FCS going into the NDSU game (and had beaten Pitt that year). Lost all 4 games in October starting with the NDSU game. Won all 3 games in November and still had an overall record of 7-4 (4-4 conference), and didn't make playoffs.

I guess what I'm getting it is, the FBS win is not rated so high by the FCS committee. Also, if we won the MVFC, we would have a higher seed than NDSU in that exact scenario. So we don't need to ban FBS vs FCS games because of some fan ramblings  ;)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »
YO, this is only another in the list (quite long mind you) of why the games need to be banned. You answered my question as well. What the heck does pedigree have to do with anything? Two teams with identical FCS records, 8 of the of the 11 games played were against the same opposition ...with two exceptions":

1. One team won their money game and lost an FCS game.
2. the other team defeated the team in exception #1, but lost their money game..

YSU has the better FCS record and defeated NDSU ...they have to jump them. Unless you are counting the FBS game and that is not supposed to be done according to the selection committee. If you want to talk non-conference FCS schedule, then go ahead ...but rather meaningless if you are still going to have the NDSU beat Iowa mindset. So using that same logic ...YSU would have beaten Iowa as well?

I have no idea what schools they supported, but since NDSU fans live on every board other than their own, I just assumed they were well represented in the conversation. I was very direct in the question, YSU wins every remaining game ...including against NDSU. NDSU finishes the regular season with one loss.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:30:30 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 06:32:44 PM »
Now a days, it's all about money. Upgrading facilities, wowing new recruits. That costs a pretty penny. Money that YSU does not have regularly in the budget. Just the way it is.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »
Sorry 1AA but I look forward to the "money game" more than any other game by far.  Hope to be in the MAC one day soon, where we rightfully belong.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
I don't think the selection committee would rank YSU below NDSU in that scenario, though my entire argument predicated on the argument that the FCS playoff committee decisions are not in lock step with fan perception... so I would be a hypocrite if I said I was 100% sure.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 09:23:16 PM »
A season is longer than one game and the entire body of work needs to be considered, including SOS (NDSU > YSU), and we lost to WVU, and NDSU beat a team ranked higher (at the time) than WVU.

Based on all variables, in that scenario, I'd rank NDSU higher than YSU, but not by much.

As far as the money game, the FCS model is bizarre and needs to be abolished.  The MVFC has no peers in the FCS and the FCS actually has a non-scholly and partial scholly conferences.  The MVFC is ranked higher than multiple G5 conferences.  There should be P5, G5 plus competitive full-63 scholly FCS conferences, and send the rest of the FCS to D2 or even D3.  So, based on whacked division distinctions with D1, I wouldn't ban intra-D1 games because one is FCS and one is FBS.

In the post-Heacock era, we are competitive in these money games.  I feel the BIG's FCS ban is because teams like ISUr and NDSU beat their teams and embarrass them.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 12:58:34 AM »
yes but that is still just ego Nation. First of all do not compare the Heacock era of FCS vs FBS with today's ...many thing are different now and has nothing to do with the increase in talent of FCS teams. It has to do with W's and L's and cash-cows. Who cares if they are embarrassed? Do you think that Pitt, Penn State, Illinois, OSU are laughing at us?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 05:05:55 AM »
Fan, your view point tells me that up want to live in a world where you don't know who the best is.  I want to know and it is one of the main reasons I take issue with the current playoff format of allowing autobids from the NEC.  There are other factors that affect the way teams play at any given point during the season. Two years ago the BCS playoffs committee correctly pick Ohio State over Baylor and TCU and they dominated everyone on the way to the championship.  However, they lost to VT and really didn't look good all year until they beat Michigan State and then blew out Wisconsin in the B1G championship game, them took out Alabama and Oregon.  Up to the MSU game they played mediocre ball. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »
No I just want it to be fair. I have no issue playing a stronger (FCS) ooc schedule. I mean we would not expect our kid's little league team to play down to tee ball, as we would not expect them to play up to pony or colt leagues. In fact we would say that is quite ridiculous. However, with the financial concerns ...everything has to be fair. Could we at least start out with a set payout by the FBS school? Ot how about we have a fair path out:

1. Set payout range.
2, Set payout amount.
3. Then end of FBS vs. FCS games.

The goal would be an end to inter-divisional games (this includes sub-FCS games as well). Nick I agree with you on moving up, as many do, but why do you look forward to losing a game every year?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »
The way they rank and pick playoff seedings common sense is not a factor.  FCS is like boxing bad officials and the playoff committee changes the rules to suit them.
A Penguin for life!!!