Author Topic: #15 YSU at #23 Illinois State  (Read 14099 times)

ValleyTalk

#15 YSU at #23 Illinois State
« on: October 03, 2016, 07:52:13 PM »
Well I know we played mediocre and all last week, but just a reminder, we still won a MVFC game after turning it over 4 times, not punting until there was 3 minutes again, and kicking three field goals in the redzone. I don't care if it is USD or SDSU, a win in the conference is important. I think anyone who sat in the stands Saturday knows if this team plays to their potential, and I do believe we are close, they can be pretty darn good this year. That is not some rah rah mindset, it is true. Our defense played pretty darn good Saturday despite those two late drives in the game. Offensively we need to learn to convert those red zone possessions into TD's, but if we can do that, watch out. Special teams wise, we are in very very good shape. We have the ability to kick touch backs this year and any returns, to my memory, have not gone for very big returns.

Now we have a big road test, albeit a winnable one, vs an Illinois State that has lost 3 straight since beating Northwestern. They are pretty good defensively, but it seems as though their offense is nowhere near as strong as previous years when Roberson and Coprich took over in the second half to beat us each year. This is a winnable game and one we need to win.

I fully expect Pelini to have this team ready.

Go Guins!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: #15 YSU at #23 Illinois State
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »
We remember the failed two point conversion last year, but we lost that game because of a pick six in the first half and, as Valley just noted, their two studs went off against us in the second half.  Fortunately, they are gone, and Illinois State has had trouble running the ball.  Their sophomore quarterback is completing 70% of his passes, but we'll take our chances if they do indeed turn out to be one-dimensional.

The outcome will depend on our offense.  Will this be the game when we score points in the second half?  Does not the law of probability and chance suggest that we are due, in spite of any coaching?  I guess we will find out.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »
The Redbirds have two close losses this year to Eastern Illinois and Indiana St..I still can't figure out the Missouri St. blowout win over the sycamore's..Either the Bears are Damn good or the Sycamores and Redbirds are down this year

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »
Should have won this game last year... Will win this year!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »
I like the guins in this one. Should be nice payback for last year.  fb

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »
Oddsmakers factoring in home field advantage rather heavily.  YSU 2.5 point dogs despite YSU having a much higher Massey rating.  Massey predicts a score of 24-21 and gives YSU a 46% chance of victory.

With UNI and SDSU the next two weeks....really need a W going in to the heart of the MVFC schedule....which I think we'll get.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »
If this team wants to sniff the playoffs they have to win this game.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 05:45:27 PM »
If they stack the box and we run into it we are screwed.  The OL has been disappointing for me this year.  I will wait and see.  It is hard to win on the road and we can't afford to have the defense score 23% of the points as they did against an inferior team like last week.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »
The game is going to be on CSN.    I have it on my cable channel (comcast in central Fl).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:51:44 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:20:53 PM »
Is the game going to be televised in the Youngstown area?

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »
WBCB to televise YSU vs. Illinois State game on Saturday

Found my answer!!!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 08:51:22 AM »
I think our pass defense will be put to the test on Saturday. Illinois St. pretty much had there way with NDS untill the Bison made the necessary adjustments at half..Ever year this game comes down to adjustments

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »
article from Charles Grove:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/oct/05/ysu-hopes-to-end-skid-at-ill-st/

The Penguins travel this weekend to Illinois State, where they haven’t won since 2006.

“When you look at our schedule, that’s why we’ve got to keep getting better,” YSU head coach Bo Pelini said Tuesday. “We’ve got to become more efficient and consistent.”

Illinois State’s conference record might not be much to look at. The Redbirds are dead-last in the Missouri Valley Football Conference at 0-2 and have lost three straight since upsetting Northwestern in Week 2.

But that triggers a bit of an alarm in quarterback Ricky Davis’ mind.

“I would say it’s tougher [to win against Illinois State] because they’re hungrier than most teams,” Davis said. “They need this win and they’re going to do anything they can to get it.”

YSU (3-1, 1-0) dropped a 31-29 decision at home against the Redbirds last year. It was one of four games within a field goal the Penguins played in last year, dropping three of them.

I think the team will turn it up a notch for this game, but they seem to have peaked in the first half of the WVU game, and then just stumbling around since then.  Davis is right, ISUr will be fighting for their playoff lives at home for Homecoming.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »
20-17 Good Guys!! I think there much better then their 2-3 record would indicate. I normally don't like to compare games, but their win over Northwestern was impressive. Northwestern beat Iowa by a touchdown and put up 37 points on them. They also lost a close game to Nebraska. I think the Redbirds have fallen behind early in games and that has hurt them

ValleyTalk

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 10:11:13 AM »