Author Topic: NDSU a Top 25 team?  (Read 27160 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: NDSU a Top 25 team?
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
I see 2 conference losses and possibly 4. Because they are NDSU, that will get them in. Now YSU would not have chance. NDSU falls to UNI and SDSU. Possible losses are ILS and YSU, but I do not know who has the bye this year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »
I see 2 conference losses and possibly 4. Because they are NDSU, that will get them in. Now YSU would not have chance. NDSU falls to UNI and SDSU. Possible losses are ILS and YSU, but I do not know who has the bye this year.
UNI is a mystery to me.  They win a couple big games every year, but then manage to loose a couple they should win.  IE, Iowa State isn't that good, but it's still Big 12.  Then follow that up with 2 loses.  (noting that Montana and Eastern Washington are both good)  The team that stuffed the ball down Iowa's throat the whole second half is going to beat ILS and YSU to a pulp, and I see one more big game in NDSU so either UNI or SDSU goes down and that is 1 conference loss, not your as many as 4?!?!?!   1 maybe 2 if they get bored, but not 3 and certainly not 4.  I'm going home for a Scotch, but your post reads like you beat me by at least a couple drinks!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Hammersmith

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2016, 08:21:10 PM »
I think you are right, I am just saying that a waiver is not a red-shirt. A waiver acknowledges that the player did play that season and waves the year off. A red-shirt is a player declaring that the year is one which he is sitting out of football, but does count as one the 5-years a student-athlete has to participate in 4-years worth of football (in this case). A waiver does not count as one of the 5-years that the player has with which to complete 4-years worth of football.

I might be making it more confusing ... hard to say.

God forbid that DeLuca goes into camp next year finds he is not eligible (not going to happen, but just for the heck of it). He could still qualify for a red-shirt; come back and play his 4th-year in 2018. If he were to take a red-shirt right now (instead of a medical waiver) he would have to graduate and take post-grad classes in order to participate next year. So it can be a big difference which of the two that you get. You always want to medical waiver if possible.

Nope, you are misunderstanding part of this. The waiver DeLuca will be applying for does not affect the '5' in the '4 in 5' rule, it's affecting the '4'. DeLuca will still have to complete four seasons of play within five years, but this current season won't be considered one of the four. If the waiver isn't granted, he's done. But it will be granted, and he'll have one last year(his fifth) to get his final year of competition(his fourth). Prior to this year, he had three seasons of competition in three years.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
I think you are right, I am just saying that a waiver is not a red-shirt. A waiver acknowledges that the player did play that season and waves the year off. A red-shirt is a player declaring that the year is one which he is sitting out of football, but does count as one the 5-years a student-athlete has to participate in 4-years worth of football (in this case). A waiver does not count as one of the 5-years that the player has with which to complete 4-years worth of football.

I might be making it more confusing ... hard to say.

God forbid that DeLuca goes into camp next year finds he is not eligible (not going to happen, but just for the heck of it). He could still qualify for a red-shirt; come back and play his 4th-year in 2018. If he were to take a red-shirt right now (instead of a medical waiver) he would have to graduate and take post-grad classes in order to participate next year. So it can be a big difference which of the two that you get. You always want to medical waiver if possible.

Nope, you are misunderstanding part of this. The waiver DeLuca will be applying for does not affect the '5' in the '4 in 5' rule, it's affecting the '4'. DeLuca will still have to complete four seasons of play within five years, but this current season won't be considered one of the four. If the waiver isn't granted, he's done. But it will be granted, and he'll have one last year(his fifth) to get his final year of competition(his fourth). Prior to this year, he had three seasons of competition in three years.

exactly. That is what I thought I said. Again, there is no such thing as a medical "red-shirt"; that is just a term people use incorrectly. With a medical waiver, they waive off the consumed year of eligibility; With a red-shirt, they do not. You cannot have a red-shirt start during the season.