Author Topic: NDSU a Top 25 team?  (Read 26951 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU a Top 25 team?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 01:04:50 PM »
Also, the AP had a ton of voters ask if NDSU could get votes (apparently no one remembers that an FCS school can from back when App State did after beating Michigan). No FCS team has ever gone beyond just getting votes though and being listed in the "Others receiving votes". We shall see, I don't think they crack the top 25, but it would be awesome as hell. Great exposure for the FCS if they did.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »
How about this angle, games like Iowa and ndsu are bad for FCS. It just means that more and more 1A teams will stop scheduling FCS teams, heck I would. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Iowa now has zero chance of the play-offs. The big paydays will end soon and schools like us will be hurting.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »
How about this angle, games like Iowa and ndsu are bad for FCS. It just means that more and more 1A teams will stop scheduling FCS teams, heck I would. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Iowa now has zero chance of the play-offs. The big paydays will end soon and schools like us will be hurting.

Could not have been said any better. They need to be banned by the NCAA so that no region of the country is treated unfairly. Like the Midwest with the Big-10's refusal to play FCS teams.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 02:21:16 AM »
With respect, not sure that argument makes total sense. Ban NDSU vs Iowa type games so more FCS vs FBS games are banned IAA? Also, don't think I agree either guinpen. First ever time that a ranked FBS team lost to an FCS team and didn't completely drop out of the coaches poll (Iowa is still ranked in the Coaches poll, at exactly 25). There are even talking heads on ESPN saying that losing to NDSU isn't really a bad loss either.

There is certainly more risk than reward for scheduling FCS teams, but its not just teams like NDSU that cause that issue. YSU, UNI, EWU, ect. ect. have been digging that grave for a while. Anytime a good FCS team beats an FBS team, the bad starts to outweigh the good. Therein lies the problem. If we like and need these money games, but we bring a competitive team, by your own argument we are causing our own misfortune down the road because the money games dry up due to our performance on the field. So... what we should just lose and take the money  :-\?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »
They are done.
That’s it, stick to your guns!  Too late to back out now, no matter how ridiculous you sound!  We all knew how dumb your statement was last week, now the whole world knows!  Am I correct in saying MVFC 2 BIG 1? 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:13:35 AM by go guins »
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »

Could not have been said any better. They need to be banned by the NCAA so that no region of the country is treated unfairly. Like the Midwest with the Big-10's refusal to play FCS teams.
I disagree 100%.  We all know how 1AA feels, but I still think there is a future back playing Kent, Akron, maybe adding Buffalo etc.  This would rule that out and I don't think it makes sense.  What does "region" have to do with it?  These 1AA conferences think travel is nothing.  If the Big 10 won't play us, we could go to the west or south. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 09:50:47 AM »
They are done.
That’s it, stick to your guns!  Too late to back out now, no matter how ridiculous you sound!  We all knew how dumb your statement was last week, now the whole world knows!  Am I correct in saying MVFC 2 BIG 1?

As many as 4 losses in conference, no less than 2. No conference crown, no national title. I will not go as far as to say no post-season though; so I guess I am backing off my statement somewhat. They are done.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 10:20:12 AM »
With respect, not sure that argument makes total sense. Ban NDSU vs Iowa type games so more FCS vs FBS games are banned IAA? Also, don't think I agree either guinpen. First ever time that a ranked FBS team lost to an FCS team and didn't completely drop out of the coaches poll (Iowa is still ranked in the Coaches poll, at exactly 25). There are even talking heads on ESPN saying that losing to NDSU isn't really a bad loss either.

There is certainly more risk than reward for scheduling FCS teams, but its not just teams like NDSU that cause that issue. YSU, UNI, EWU, ect. ect. have been digging that grave for a while. Anytime a good FCS team beats an FBS team, the bad starts to outweigh the good. Therein lies the problem. If we like and need these money games, but we bring a competitive team, by your own argument we are causing our own misfortune down the road because the money games dry up due to our performance on the field. So... what we should just lose and take the money  :-\?

That is just ego posting. How is this any different than YSU playing Slippery Rock (which all of you complained about)? Ignoring the fact that the NCAA has no other way to fund FCA ball, there is no way that it is fair, nor should it be allowed. All of us know these games are going to continue to happen, so this discussion is theoretical. Yet in reality, the NCAA tells FBS administrations that they can schedule an extra game if they will play an FCS program. Now a couple of conferences refuse to play the FCS team, yet they are permitted to keep the extra game and schedule FBS opposition? How is that fair in any way, shape, or form?

NDSU wins games because they play an antiquated style of ball. FBS defenses today are not designed to stop a team that has huge line depth and runs the ball for 400+yards. D linemen today are like ours ...tall and lanky. If NDSU played a "real" #10 FCS team and spread the ball on offense ...the game would be over in Q1 ...just as it would be for any other FCS team. That being said, Iowa is so over-rated.

Emphasis today is on winning the conference. The winner of the big-10 (regardless of record) is going to be one of the final-4 teams. Iowa could beat UM or OSU and still lose to NDSU ...it is simply a matter of focus. What Big-10 coach is going to recruit and waste time in summer camp practicing to play a pro-set run-based offense for 1-game, when they have to worry about Meyer and Harbaugh spreading it out all over the place in games worth multi-millions to their institutions? The game is all about money and this is where FBS and FCS institutions differ the most ...this is the largest reason they should not play each other. Furthermore, if you are going to allow the inter-divisional games, make certain that ALL IA/FBS teams comply with a very specific rule instructing them to play I-AA/FCS schools. Additionally FBS schools should be required to play a D-II school to help give the lower division their "share of the pie". Where does it all end?

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
1-AA you are delusional.   North Dakota State has two wins over quality FCS programs, and beat a ranked Big 10 team on the road, and you call them antiquated?  Then Alabama is antiquated as well.

Nothing wrong with lining up and running over the opponent, which is what they did to Iowa.  When they need to throw they can, and their skilled talent is exceptional.   Good backs and quality wide receivers.

YSU had made the playoffs once in 15 years, and you defend them; but blast the most successful program in the history 1-AA and FCS football.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
1-AA you are delusional.   North Dakota State has two wins over quality FCS programs, and beat a ranked Big 10 team on the road, and you call them antiquated?  Then Alabama is antiquated as well.

Nothing wrong with lining up and running over the opponent, which is what they did to Iowa.  When they need to throw they can, and their skilled talent is exceptional.   Good backs and quality wide receivers.

YSU had made the playoffs once in 15 years, and you defend them; but blast the most successful program in the history 1-AA and FCS football.

You hit the nail on the head. Saban's success is predicated on an outdated style of ball; but really more unique than antiquated. They are good at it, thus their success. Remember, "antiquated" means 'unique'. SO if you feel more comfortable with that choice of term ...feel free. I used the term "antiquated" in describing NDSU's offense because the Bison's style of offense was ata one time, far from unique ...where not too many teams ever ran the ball the way Alabama does. NDSU's run game is even more diverse than Alabama's, but would you be shocked if Alabama beat NDSU 50-12? NO. Would you be shocked if the complete opposite happened? YES. WHY? Exactly what I posted.

In reality, Alabama has an option game that is second to none and NDSU's offense is not even similar.

Furthermore, I do not consider NDSU any better than a number of I-AA/FCS teams "in their day". Examples being UCF, EKU, Marshall, GASouthern, Appalachian State, (possibly even Boise State & Delaware) and yes even YSU. NDSU reminds me the most of Western Kentucky. Teams in the GFC had trouble with their powerful run game (much more like Alabama's), but teams outside of the GFC could not even compete with them in their day ...they easily won the national title and bolted to IA. Guess what? WKU does not run an option out of a triple-back i-formation anymore do they? Yet NDSU does.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:15:14 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »
1AA, you should pick a different topic than knocking NDSU and Alabama.

Yes, most of us would love to see them both lose, but it shouldn't make us delusional!  I don’t agree that NDSU is “equal” with other multiply national championship schools.  I saw YSU play for the national championship 6 times and I thought we had the best players on the field ONCE.  I saw NDSU the last 5 and I thought they had a clear talent advantage ALL 5 TIMES.  They are clearly a superior program.  The most amazing game in YSU history? Not the 3 national championships when I didn't think we had the best talent, but relied on the best coach.  The most amazing win in YSU history is beating NDSU in Fargo 2011

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
1AA, you should pick a different topic than knocking NDSU and Alabama.

Yes, most of us would love to see them both lose, but it shouldn't make us delusional!  I don’t agree that NDSU is “equal” with other multiply national championship schools.  I saw YSU play for the national championship 6 times and I thought we had the best players on the field ONCE.  I saw NDSU the last 5 and I thought they had a clear talent advantage ALL 5 TIMES.  They are clearly a superior program.  The most amazing game in YSU history? Not the 3 national championships when I didn't think we had the best talent, but relied on the best coach.  The most amazing win in YSU history is beating NDSU in Fargo 2011

Okay then use your example. Actually the Heacock win in Fargo was more impressive as we were so dominating on D in that one. However, in both cases we simply stacked the line and crossed our fingers. IN the Heacock game we had probably more depth on defense than NDSU had on offense. Did we make the postseason on any of these years? ... NDSU did. You could have argued the Heacock year (though not well), but we clearly were not post-season material in 2011.

Also just because I do not worship the ground the Bison graze on, does not mean I am insulting them. As to Alabama, I dislike Urban Meyer much more than Saban. I am a Penguin fan. I do not give a crap about Alabama or Ohio State ... ever. I care about NDSU one week out of the year.

I know that many of you may find this hard to believe, but I would not miss a YSU game against Slippery Rock for a chance to go to the NCAA FBS championship game or even the Superbowl ...so maybe I am weird.

Although I would miss a non-conference, non-post-season Penguins game for a chance to go to a World Series game featuring the Orioles. Even then I would hope to go on a day other than Saturday ;) 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:48:09 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
"I know that many of you may find this hard to believe, but I would not miss a YSU game against Slippery Rock for a chance to go to the NCAA FCS championship game or even the Superbowl ...so maybe I am weird."

Who's paying?  Honestly, the FCS championship is such a mess of people etc., I wouldn't go unless YSU were playing (unlikely).  But the Superbowl is kind of a bucket list event, and that would beat out “The Rock”!

I don't get the apparent uproar of bloggers so against a couple creampuffs along with a FBS team in the pre-league schedule.   You need to bring kids into the program and when else is Mays going to play?  He looks like the likely 2 year starter beginning in 2018 and he gets some time last Sat.  Same is true for all over the team.  Play of tough one, play a couple tune-ups and bring on the MVFC.  I'm fine with the schedule.  I'd have a lot more issues if I was paying OSU prices to see BGSU.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »
It's not ego posting because it was refuting the logic of those posts in the context of their message. What was said was not the same as what you are implying further down. Tell me this, do you feel that all FBS vs FCS games should cease? Because if you do then my original post is mute.

For clarification Im not against having a weaker opponent in an out of conference game like an NEC team, or even one D2 team like slippery rock if the other OOC game is against a decent school and we have one money game. I'm a fan and go to the games anyway, not saying people don't have the right to choose not to go as fans, just saying I still go.

What rule are you talking about that allows FBS to schedule an extra game after playing FCS? I'm only aware of the Hawaii exemption?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 05:03:18 PM »
It's not ego posting because it was refuting the logic of those posts in the context of their message. What was said was not the same as what you are implying further down. Tell me this, do you feel that all FBS vs FCS games should cease? Because if you do then my original post is mute.

For clarification Im not against having a weaker opponent in an out of conference game like an NEC team, or even one D2 team like slippery rock if the other OOC game is against a decent school and we have one money game. I'm a fan and go to the games anyway, not saying people don't have the right to choose not to go as fans, just saying I still go.

What rule are you talking about that allows FBS to schedule an extra game after playing FCS? I'm only aware of the Hawaii exemption?

Sorry saying "ego" made it sound negative towards you and that is not what I meant to do. YO Show.

Yes I am against all I-AA/FCS vs. IA/FBS games. If we do not outlaw them through the NCAA, some schools will still get financial advantage over others.

Here are the 2006 Rules changes:
  • The NCAA ruled that teams could schedule twelve regular-season games (up from eleven) beginning in the 2006 season. (NCAA teams in Alaska and Hawaii, and their home opponents, are allowed to schedule an extra game over and above this limit.)
  • Instant replay is now officially sanctioned and standardized. All plays are reviewed by the replay officials as the play occurs. They may call down to the on-field officials to stop play if they need extra time to make a review. Each coach may also make one challenge per game. In the case of a coach's challenge, the coach must have at least one time-out remaining. If the challenge is upheld the coach gets the time-out back but the challenge is spent. If the challenge is rejected, both the challenge and the time-out are spent.
  • Players may only wear clear eyeshields. Previously, both tinted and orange were also allowed.
  • The kicking tee has been lowered from two inches tall to only one inch.
  • Halftime lasts twenty minutes. Previously, it was only fifteen minutes.
  • On a kickoff, the game clock starts when the ball is kicked rather than when the receiving team touches it.
  • If a team scores at the end of the game, they will not kick the extra point unless it would affect the outcome of the game.
  • On a change of possession, the clock starts when the referee marks the ball ready for play, instead of on the snap.

Our Jim Tressel (OSU coach) was very much a part of this rule change. The big-10 and the PAC-10 wanted a preseason game or a guaranteed home game for more revenues. The NCAA said "no" because they had just gotten rid of the BCS and were afraid that this would cause tournaments (like MBB). At the same time, they did not want to agitate the conferences and they had just won them back from the BCS.

So, yes even though the agreement to play I-AA schools was informal, the IA/FBS teams were "highly encouraged" to play an FCS school and they initially had payout maximums to ensure this. This served two purposes: 1) It guaranteed a IA/FBS home game and hopefully a win while still playing DI opposition, and 2) Gave a payout roughly equal to the entire season for the I-AA/FCS club and enough to cover participation in the I-AA championship, which was difficult for most I-AA teams to do and a very vocal complaint by the I-AA/FCS conferences/AD's.

This extra game helped both DI divisions. Now IA admins want to stop playing the I-AA/FCS school which brings back all of the financial issues and the main reason the game was offered in the first place. What I would like to see is a IA team able to chose not to play a I-AA team. but they only are allowed 11-games. The NCAA must mandate a 12th game is for I-AA vs. IA only. I would also like to see it be only the first game of the season & it must be played at least 1-week prior to the start of the season so that teams would have time to work on what they learned. Or better yet, simply ban inter-divisional play all together. The later is the better move unless the NCAA is going do all of these things and set an official minimum and maximum payout. Some FCS schools were making $200k while Tressel paid YSU $750k for each of two games. That was later reduced to $600k, but still 3X what most I-AA schools were receiving from IA schools. Now they payouts are getting so high, they can get a weaker IA/FBS team to play for the same amount.

Without playing a I-AA club, for IA there is no reason to have a 12th-game ...that is just lengthening the season and everyone already knew the play-off was coming ...that was the straw that broke the BCS camel's back.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:00:25 PM by IAA Fan »