Author Topic: YSU Football conference oppenents  (Read 36107 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Football conference oppenents
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »
I thought this would be a good topic to discuss as the conference opener is fast approaching. Scores and analysis would be greatly appreciated so we can get a better understanding of our opponents strength's and weaknesses and how we match up against them

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Football conference oppenents
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
I understand and I'm sure I'll get "into it" in a week or so, but right now I want to decide on a QB and find a replacment for Kenny Durden.  Without that ISU, NDSU, NIU, and whomever else is going to give us "what for!"
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:58:56 PM »
I understand and I'm sure I'll get "into it" in a week or so, but right now I want to decide on a QB and find a replacment for Kenny Durden.  Without that ISU, NDSU, NIU, and whomever else is going to give us "what for!"

David Rivers is fine. Bishop is another story. Really struggled vs WVU.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:15:44 PM »
Just a quick note on South Dakota. Chris Steveler the 6"2 220 lbs Qb transfer from Minnesota accounted for a total of 6 Td's in their overtime win. He is considered a dual-threat Qb and is a really good player and received player of the week honors in the MVFC
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:16:47 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:31:44 PM »
I remain optimistic.  We proved last year that we could contain FCS passing games.  We might see one or even two dangerous receivers in league play, but not four stretched across the field as we did on Saturday.  If we must make one change in the secondary, there are plenty of candidates.  Auditions begin this week.

Last season, big running plays killed us.  It started at Pitt and continued with Illinois State, Indiana State, and SDSU (who did whatever they wanted to us.)  So far, there are signs that has been addressed.  We will find out in conference play.

To get back on the subject of Fever's thread, after two weeks the conference looks a bit down this season.  NDSU with two close FCS wins at home and Northern Iowa's shocking home loss to Montana.  Shocking only because of the way that Montana struggled against lowly St. Francis in the opener.  Of course, Illinois State deserves much credit for beating Northwestern, but those Wildcats did manage to lose to a MAC team in their opener.

To me, SDSU looks like the strongest team.  Really good receiver and a mobile dual-threat quarterback.  And a good FCS defense.  The points and yards that they allowed to TCU are as meaningless as our defensive performance at WVU.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
And speaking of Ill St, how did they pull off a Big 10 game? Thought that was taboo as a couple of years ago.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:31 PM »
And speaking of Ill St, how did they pull off a Big 10 game? Thought that was taboo as a couple of years ago.

Northwestern did not want to buyout the game & it was scheduled before the ban went into affect.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 08:30:03 AM »

David Rivers is fine. Bishop is another story. Really struggled vs WVU.
David Rivers isn't replacing Durden, he is playing where he played last year.  Bishop got beat deep 4 times in Morgantown!  When we had 2 corners, we were #1 or #2 in the country in pass defense. With 1 CB we currently rank #95
Nothing  else matters if you can't cover receivers.  Now the WR at WVU was probably the best we'll see, but I didn't think we did that great against Duquesne.   The secondary needs a big step forward before league play opens or its 5-7 again.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »
Not really sure what to think about our bye week being put in between RMU and South Dakota. It's like 3 weeks of basically no competition when you think of it. You have to keep the starters sharp and you also have to guard against injury. Never an easy thing for a staff. If we had a quality opponent this week i wouldn't be as concerned. S.D. is much better then last year and they play really good on the road they did beat NDSU in Fargo last year

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »

Northwestern did not want to buyout the game & it was scheduled before the ban went into affect.

They are doubt seconding guessing that buyout
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 08:48:04 AM »
"They are doubt seconding guessing that buyout"

puinpen, you got that right! (with the addition of a "no" before the doubt, at least.  But I make so many typing errors I'm NOT being critical.  As slow as my mind is, it's far faster than my fingers!)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »
SDSU looks really strong on paper so far.  In the MVFC, they have the top 2 QBs in passing efficiency, receiver w/ most TDs, most kicking points, and gained 461 yards on TCU.  We play SDSU on the road in their new stadium the week after UNI. IMO that is the team that wins the MVFC this year and will be our toughest opponent the rest of the season.

ISUr looks strong after beating Northwestern but at least we play them the week after they play NDSU.  UNI and NDSU look vulnerable.  I'm still optimistic for this season.

FWIW, Davis has the third highest passing efficiency in the MVFC, and is the 10th leading rusher (McCaster #8, Ruiz #9).

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ind.pdf
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:39 AM »

"In the MVFC, they have the top 2 QBs in passing efficiency"

C'mon man, the #1 guy is 3/4, I can't believe you would quote that as #1 is passing.  I also can't believe even one tailback isn't 1/1 on an option pass, but whatever. 
2 games in, stats don't mean a damn thing.  Some schools played powder 5 schools like YSU and some have not.  (granted SDSU played a P5 and won)  Nothing matters until the conference starts.  For me, until you beat NDSU they are #1 and I HATE playing NIU.  We always seem to have trouble with them. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:50 AM »
True, but if you look at the aggregate, not only one stat with a small sample size, SDSU is an offensive powerhouse.  any team that can trade punches for a few rounds with TCU gets respect in my book.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
UNI is not vulnerable, especially for us. NDSU is done. SDSU is, by far, the best team in the conference. ILS is good, but not as good as people think; there is your vulnerability. We will be upset by USD as well; we cannot perform well against them either. The key will be to go 7-4 (with a good rest of the year showing by what I fear is a poor WVU team, that will be contacting Bo at year end).

So if we lose to SDSU, UNI and USD. We have got to take out NDSU, ILS and hope WIU has some bad games.