Author Topic: Trib: Penguin QB competition apparently down to two  (Read 2183 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Trib: Penguin QB competition apparently down to two
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »
 By JOE SIMON - Tribune Chronicle , Tribune Chronicle         

YOUNGSTOWN - Bo Pelini hasn't commented much on the specifics of Youngstown State's quarterback competition.

He isn't saying if anyone has an advantage or who is behind in what was thought to be a three-man race. Heck, Pelini really hasn't said exactly which quarterbacks are in the hunt to be the starter.

Practice seems to be speaking for him, however.

Juniors Hunter Wells and Ricky Davis are taking snaps with the first-team almost exclusively, which is a change from the spring, when the Penguins welcomed junior-college transfer and former Missouri recruit Trent Hosick to camp.

Hosick, also a junior, endured some growing pains in understanding the offense but was still thought to be one of the top contenders for the starting gig. The once-prized prospect hasn't been ruled out of the competition, which Pelini said could go until a few days before the season starts, but his time with the first team is almost non-existent.

"I felt like spring was kind of a 1, 2 ,3, 4 competition," said Davis, referring to him, Wells, Hosick and Nathan Mays all competing. "Now with me and Hunter, it's kind of a 1A, 1B competition. We're both splitting No. 1 reps (with the first team) and just getting after it. Again, I'm just focusing on myself. The competition is fun."

There are some parts of it that aren't so fun.

Davis and Wells have been on the same team for two-and-a-half years and are close friends, but they're also competitors who want to be the starter. That leads to some awkwardness as the two continue to battle for the job.

"It's different," Davis said. "We're all really good friends. Off the field, we're best friends, and on the field we just compete. You really can't worry about what the other guy is doing, or you'll just be as good as he is. You've got to be the best player you can be and focus on yourself."

Hosick is kind of the odd man out. He came to YSU before spring practices began, so he isn't as familiar with the team - or the offense - as Wells and Davis, who have been in the program since they were true freshmen. Hosick, who said he reached his goal of watching 100 hours of film over the summer, has since created a relationship with the two, but training camp is putting a strain on that.

"It is tough to balance, at least for me, being the new guy," he said of being a friend and a competitor with Wells and Davis. "They know each other better, and they kind of hang out. I spend a little time with them, but to me, obviously I'd love to play. I believe I'm good enough to help us win a national championship, but I'll support them if coach decides to go with one of those guys.

"While the competition is going, it's hard to be close friends though. That's just the truth."

Wells, who started most of his true freshman season and began last year as the starter before eventually splitting time with Davis, took a more diplomatic approach. He said he understands his role as both a leader and a competitor and wants to set the right example.

"Coming from an outside view, it may seem like (it's awkward), but I want what's best for the team," he said. "I'm going to go out when I need to go out and do what I need to do to be the starter. If they're in and they give us a better chance to win, then I'm all for it, but I'm focusing on myself. I need to make sure I have my mind right, so when I'm in there I'm making the most of my reps and I'm getting what I need to get out of practice to get myself moving forward to starting."

Pelini hasn't given any indication on who the favorite is, and he doesn't intend to any time soon.

"I have no time frame on that," he said. "When it happens, it happens. It's gotta happen over time. You've got to assess how guys are making progress, and when it becomes pretty clear, we'll make a decision."

The season opener is on a Thursday (Sept. 1) at home against Duquesne.