Author Topic: Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage  (Read 27335 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 11:09:34 AM »
I am going to be really, really happy when this preseason ends and the quarterback issue is resolved, one way or the other.  We have had to endure the fathers or close family friends of two candidates pushing their boys (a perfectly natural response.)  Other posters have divided into factions and insisted their guy was the only true choice.  Enough already.  I suspect that most of us just want good quarterback play and don't give a rat's butt which individual provides it.
Wish you were right, but I doubt this question gets answered all year.  We are going to play multiple QBs during the season, that much seems obvious and given any particular game, a particular one QB is going to shine, or not, and the arguments will resume.  Getting close now at least.  Week from tomorrow, and can't get here soon enough!
Correct this is not going to be over any time soon!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 12:41:36 PM »
I am certainly not against the spread. Heck Heacock fought for it and he knew that people were not going to like the change. That was the main reason that I was so upset at the timing when he left. However, we just could not win games. I like the way Carl Pelini does not depend upon the offense to set and prepare his defenses. That is the main reason that we were so successful last year. That is why I am baffled at NDSU, their defense is just like our old Heacock defenses, so you expect them to be good, but their offense is so outdated. Then again, with no one running it, it is hard to defend something you do not see very often.

Also, I am confident that there is not as much of a QB controversy as we think ...it is just a deliberately-designed lack of information coming out of camp.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »
As they say, If you have more than 1 QB, you don't have one.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
Then again, with no one running it, it is hard to defend something you do not see very often.

Also, I am confident that there is not as much of a QB controversy as we think ...it is just a deliberately-designed lack of information coming out of camp.
1, I doubt it is "no one running it" as much as they are running it will with superior talent.  Everyone looks at the coaches/coordinators but if you don't have the players, you don't have much.  (Yes I know the HC in particular is responsible for the recruiting, but "schemes don't mean much without players.

2. 1AA, I believe this is the case also.  They know who is starting!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 05:02:47 PM »
Go guins I agree with you entirely on your #1 point. Their offensive line is huge and talented and is like an fbs line. They are setup to run that older style offense. Although IAA, there is also some merit to your comment too. Its hard to defend a system you dont see much.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 08:18:14 PM »
Situation is starting to become more clear.

Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  3h3 hours ago

Davis getting a lot more snaps than Wells today. #YSU @vindicator

Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  3h3 hours ago

Davis hit Alvin Bailey for a long TD in 2 minute drill and now Wells is getting reps with the 2nd string. #YSU @vindicator

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 08:55:58 PM »
Bo downplayed it to Charles after practice. Bo stated that Hunter has a minor shoulder injury and Bo said that was the reason for Ricky's increased snaps. Nothing is still clear chief

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 09:22:19 PM »
I don't believe that BS from Bo for a second. Davis has been overtaking Wells for a couple practices now from what I've heard.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »
It doesn't really matter who starts chief because they both will see plenty of playing time. Hunter basically has thrown twice as many passes as Davis in the 2 scrimmage's and there is a reason for that

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 10:12:31 PM »
I am certainly not against the spread. Heck Heacock fought for it and he knew that people were not going to like the change. That was the main reason that I was so upset at the timing when he left. However, we just could not win games. I like the way Carl Pelini does not depend upon the offense to set and prepare his defenses. That is the main reason that we were so successful last year. That is why I am baffled at NDSU, their defense is just like our old Heacock defenses, so you expect them to be good, but their offense is so outdated. Then again, with no one running it, it is hard to defend something you do not see very often.

The spread is garbage.  It is no longer "new" and most defenses are not equipped to defend a pro-style offense "throwback" offense.  All of the outside LB's are smaller and faster.  Many teams get away with smaller SAM and Mike LB's today to defend the spread.  We have the horses to run a power O and we should do it.

Secondly, we can recruit better players in a pro-style offense. Spread or running QB's have not been successful in the professional level.  Teams with pro-style offenses are the ones left standing at the end of the playoff and NC games.  With a spread we blow out teams we are supposed to and get suffocated against good defenses.  I have to disagree with you completely.  App State beat Michigan and WVU had the NC game on the cusp and lost to Pitt back in 2006-2008 when the read option/spread was not common.  Today it is the bread and butter of many teams and defenses have changed to stop the spread.  Now the Power O cannot be stopped as easily because of personnel being recruited.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:16 AM »
Power, You've got me with this one, the depth and breath of your errors exceed all expectations!

"Spread or running QB's have not been successful in the professional level." 
Yes, your right here.  Throw the bums like Marioti, Newton, Griffin, Bortles, Carr, Wilson and Winston out of the league.  You can't play in the NFL if you run or play in the spread.

"We have the horses to run a power O and we should do it."
You have a questionable OL, about 8 RB's that weigh 185-195#  What horses?

"Secondly, we can recruit better players in a pro-style offense"
Yes, because players who think they have an NFL future look to YSU?  Get real.

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »
I agree that being different is always good. Look back when we first came into the Gateway & SMS and ISU ran the option Tressel had problems with that. However. Both teams dropped it. Then, as we discussed before, look how badly we were beaten by GSU back in 1999, when we had MUCH more talent. Why, because we could no longer defend the option after coach T converted us to a pro-set. We only beat McNeese back in the 1997 title game because we still had so many players remaining that were recruited and played on our previous option-teams. Look at Ray Isaac ...he could have gone to any Big-12 program, but the big-12 was going away from the option

We must accept the fact that a team's defense is going to mirror it's offense; rare exceptions being a few of the big time collegiate programs, NFL teams and lucky smaller teams like YSU (that have big time coaching). So when coach Carl is able to defense varying styles of offense, that is a real feat and shows his gift. I am very comfortable with coach Shane. Very few (if any) teams in the MVFC have figured out his offense. I hope we can get to the point where he puts back in some of the complexity, but that may never come. It is really an offense designed for the NFL, where you do not have a new crop of starters coming in each year. Again, we are very lucky to have him.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 09:53:17 AM »
I agree that being different is always good. Look back when we first came into the Gateway & SMS and ISU ran the option Tressel had problems with that. However. Both teams dropped it. Then, as we discussed before, look how badly we were beaten by GSU back in 1999, when we had MUCH more talent. Why, because we could no longer defend the option after coach T converted us to a pro-set. We only beat McNeese back in the 1997 title game because we still had so many players remaining that were recruited and played on our previous option-teams. Look at Ray Isaac ...he could have gone to any Big-12 program, but the big-12 was going away from the option

We must accept the fact that a team's defense is going to mirror it's offense; rare exceptions being a few of the big time collegiate programs, NFL teams and lucky smaller teams like YSU (that have big time coaching). So when coach Carl is able to defense varying styles of offense, that is a real feat and shows his gift. I am very comfortable with coach Shane. Very few (if any) teams in the MVFC have figured out his offense. I hope we can get to the point where he puts back in some of the complexity, but that may never come. It is really an offense designed for the NFL, where you do not have a new crop of starters coming in each year. Again, we are very lucky to have him.

I completely disagree. Some of the biggest losses the last couple years have been on the offense in ability to score points late in games. Especially late in the season against better competition. Is it watered down because of certain players ? Possible, but that is also on him.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/25/installation/

"Davis got nearly all the snaps with the first string Wednesday, but Pelini and offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery downplayed the idea that there was anything to read into that.

“Hunter has a sore shoulder and Trent got in there some, too,” Pelini said."

I wish Charles would've commented more on Trent's snaps with the first team.

Interesting comment from Davis:

“[The coaches put in] a lot more quarterback runs and a lot more motion. The tempo is also a lot quicker now. We’re trying to look more like an Oregon offense. We’re going to go quick.”

Love it.  We've got the tools to run a fast and aggressive offense.  It's going to be an exciting season.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 10:35:24 AM »
Chief, Obviously very watered-down compared to what we have seen in the past. Lack of line depth and TB's. I really do not think we are going to be quite as "vanilla" this year and I am very excited about it. We have 3 more quality big men up front, a new receiving TE that is getting rave reviews (along with a quality returning TE), two more TB's and an additional quality WR. The reason that you see the drop in the last part of our games is two-fold:

1. we lack player depth.
2. opposing coaches do their job, which takes us right back to #1 and the ability to play 2-halves of football.

You see Davis' comments about this week's additions and the speed increase. I too am very excited Nation. It is football time in Ytown!!!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:41:22 AM by IAA Fan »