Author Topic: Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage  (Read 27332 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »
Go, I hear what you are saying. What has been so weird last year for me regarding the offense was for my recent memory (last 5-6 years or so), I have felt that our defense has been consistently lacking and our offense was pretty good. Good enough to be playoff good. I felt like last year's defense was a huge step up, and it seemed like our offense had a big step down.

It was unfortunate, because the standard, "If only we had X to compliment Y, then our result Z would be better." and we increased X but decreased Y so no net gain. I'm hopeful for this offense, and it may just be they have been working things out for the year so far in camp. If our offense is even 40% better from last year, and our defense is supposed to be improved as well, so lets say our defense is 10% better, we are going to be a pretty dangerous team this year.
For all the Wolford years, our O was somewhere between pretty good and real good, and we couldn't stop anybody, particularly late and particularly passing.  Last year was a huge turnaround defensively.  Alexander made a HUGE difference, turning the worst position on the D to the 2nd best.  (D Rivers #1)  And you are also correct, the O went backward.  Wells was not as good his second year, nobody would deny that, and the RB situation with Ruiz hurt most of the year was at best poor.  Jody is a great change of pace guy, but not an every down back, and we had no size or strengh back there with the exception of about 10 TE runs on short yardage. (all of which I believe worked)  Now we need some help at RB and Wells to step up.

My favorite play in the entire 2015 season was LeRoy's pick 6 against Pitt that brought YSU within a score of Pitt.  At that moment, I sensed that the Pelini era had begun, and the defense is finally legit.  Now, anytime you let the ball take flight with Penguins around, it's no longer safe.  Before that play, it felt like a slow and certain death, and after it, you felt like we could make it two straight versus the Panthers.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 10:06:59 AM »

My favorite play in the entire 2015 season was LeRoy's pick 6 against Pitt that brought YSU within a score of Pitt.  At that moment, I sensed that the Pelini era had begun, and the defense is finally legit.  Now, anytime you let the ball take flight with Penguins around, it's no longer safe.  Before that play, it felt like a slow and certain death, and after it, you felt like we could make it two straight versus the Panthers.
I agree, that was a real seminal moment.
I don't understand why Wells' best 2 games of his career are against our best opponent.  (Yes, I think Pitt would beat NDSU last year)  A LOT on this blog question Hunter's wiliness to stand up to a tough defense and "those type players" usually fold against the best competition.   Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:18:46 PM by IAA Fan »
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »
I agree, that was a real seminal moment.
I don't understand why Wells' best 2 games of his career are against our best opponent.  (Yes, I think Pitt would beat NDSU last year)  A LOT on this blog question Hunter's wiliness to stand up to a tough defense and "those type players" usually fold against the best competition.   Thoughts?

My 0.02.

What Wells lacks can't be coached.  If the team succeeds with him, it's because others have compensated for his deficiencies.  It's magical thinking to think that his fear of contact and subsequent lack of mobility, will change.  He  doesn't follow progressions because the football in his hands could lead to a hit, so it is best to dump the hot potato ASAP before things get nasty.

Lots of key players are seniors this year.  With #11 or #12 we may make a run at a national championship this year.  With #6, we'll do decent, and maybe even make a round or two in the playoffs....but not reach our potential.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 11:19:39 AM »

My 0.02.

What Wells lacks can't be coached.  If the team succeeds with him, it's because others have compensated for his deficiencies.  It's magical thinking to think that his fear of contact and subsequent lack of mobility, will change.  He  doesn't follow progressions because the football in his hands could lead to a hit, so it is best to dump the hot potato ASAP before things get nasty.

Lots of key players are seniors this year.  With #11 or #12 we may make a run at a national championship this year.  With #6, we'll do decent, and maybe even make a round or two in the playoffs....but not reach our potential.

I don't see it that way.  Certainly you are right, you aren't going to make a runner out of Hunter, but that doesn't mean you can't win with him.  This business of reading through progressions is REALLY hard.  Many in the NFL still struggle with it after 3-4 years of college and 10 YEARS in the NFL!  When you are standing in the pocket, and you feel pressure, dumping the ball is usually preferential to taking a sack.  No he can't take a 3 option and sprint out, but the flip side is Davis can't stand in the pocket and deliver a consistent pass, so what do you do?  Frankly if Davis was a better runner, he may be a better option, but he is NOT a great runner, just better than Wells.  I had hoped Hosick would be the guy, but that seems to not be the case.  So many, including you, tread Davis as the second coming at QB, but he has done nothing with the few chances he’s had, and so it seems that is just wishful thinking on the fans part. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:19:05 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 12:37:37 PM »

My 0.02.

I don't see it that way.  Certainly you are right, you aren't going to make a runner out of Hunter, but that doesn't mean you can't win with him.  This business of reading through progressions is REALLY hard.  Many in the NFL still struggle with it after 3-4 years of college and 10 YEARS in the NFL!  When you are standing in the pocket, and you feel pressure, dumping the ball is usually preferential to taking a sack.  No he can't take a 3 option and sprint out, but the flip side is Davis can't stand in the pocket and deliver a consistent pass, so what do you do?  Frankly if Davis was a better runner, he may be a better option, but he is NOT a great runner, just better than Wells.  I had hoped Hosick would be the guy, but that seems to not be the case.  So many, including you, tread Davis as the second coming at QB, but he has done nothing with the few chances he’s had, and so it seems that is just wishful thinking on the fans part.
What chances has he had? Remember, he don't call the plays. He runs what Monty calls for him. Another thing, why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance? Just wondering.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »
As an example, look at the NDSU/YSU boxscore, and then imagine the outcome of the game if #12 didn't play a single down.  #12 scored a rushing TD and was the second leading rusher behind Webb, who had the game of his  life.  #12 had 61 rushing yards (despite limited playing time), and #6...2 yards rushing.  And that was with the defense knowing it was a run when #12 was put in.

The 2 QB system (ie, Davis) gave us a fighting chance.  No Davis = we get clobbered by NDSU.

Now, imagine if #12 started....imagine if #12 (who had a higher passing efficiency) was allowed to pass more than 3 attempts that game.  Imagine the rushing yards with NDSU not being telegraphed when a run was coming.

It would've been a whole different game.

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/boxscores/20151114_xo1q.xml

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »

My 0.02.

So if Hunter wins, it's the guys around him, and if Davis wins it all Davis??  Really??

What chances has he had? Remember, he don't call the plays. He runs what Monty calls for him. Another thing, why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance? Just wondering.

I see Davis in 8 games, going 8-18 for 44.4% completions and rushing 42 times for 215 with 8th best average per carry on the team.  What I said was "he as done nothing with the few chances he has had" and I stand by that.  Yes he scored a TD against NDSU; one play in 2years.  Not much to write home about.  If you think a guy that can run for less than 5 yds a carry and complete less than 45% of his passes can lead you to a national title, you should stop taking or drinking whatever you are taking or drinking.  That's what I am saying.

"why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance?" 
You field the best team you can.  If Hosick could do the job, sure.  You want to bench Alexander because he thought he could play 1A and found he was better suited to 1AA?  That's what you are saying about Hosick.  And yes Davis works hard, but Hunter committed right out of HS and he works hard too.  So do I work hard, but I can't play QB either!  Best guy gets the job and Bo and Monty know more about football than I do, I'll trust them.  You apparently know more by watching 60 plays than either of them, so why didn't you apply for the job.  I'm sure Tressel would have hired you.  He always plays the best guys!

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 04:21:38 PM »

My 0.02.

So if Hunter wins, it's the guys around him, and if Davis wins it all Davis??  Really??

I see Davis in 8 games, going 8-18 for 44.4% completions and rushing 42 times for 215 with 8th best average per carry on the team.  What I said was "he as done nothing with the few chances he has had" and I stand by that.  Yes he scored a TD against NDSU; one play in 2years.  Not much to write home about.  If you think a guy that can run for less than 5 yds a carry and complete less than 45% of his passes can lead you to a national title, you should stop taking or drinking whatever you are taking or drinking.  That's what I am saying.

"why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance?" 
You field the best team you can.  If Hosick could do the job, sure.  You want to bench Alexander because he thought he could play 1A and found he was better suited to 1AA?  That's what you are saying about Hosick.  And yes Davis works hard, but Hunter committed right out of HS and he works hard too.  So do I work hard, but I can't play QB either!  Best guy gets the job and Bo and Monty know more about football than I do, I'll trust them.  You apparently know more by watching 60 plays than either of them, so why didn't you apply for the job.  I'm sure Tressel would have hired you.  He always plays the best guys!
Not sure about the rest of your ramblings but lets take this one statement and see how true it ends up being. Go Guins!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 06:51:58 PM »
Good point YO. I might add that if we had Ruiz last year, we would have added 2 more games to the "W" column. Perhaps even more. Then there is the Oline. We have much more experience up front & have added a larger back to our stable. There is a heck of a lot to be positive about in 2016. Any word on Ruiz?
That larger back I assume would be MCNUTT. He was primarily a LB at Mooney, but is more then capable of being our FB. The heck with preserving his redshirt, line him up in a double tight behind our powerfull offensive line on short yardage plays and send a strong message stop us if you can. There should be no need to line our TE up in the backfield this year..NONE!!

This is correct^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »
Good to see that our QB coach on the board has it figured out.  It's just one kids fault that we didn't succeed last year.  Same kid was voted Captain by his peers but the board QB coach knows more than the team and his coaches.  Hell even the last HC wasn't that smart either he started the same guy.  I trust the coaches on this one and the players versus A anonymous poster hiding behind a screen name questioning a kids heart.  Why don't you sit next to his family in the stands and tell them that their kid lacks toughness.  Doubt that will happen.  This is the last I will debate this unless it's about performance.  Go Penguins and whoever wins QB1!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
Good to see that our QB coach on the board has it figured out.  It's just one kids fault that we didn't succeed last year.  Same kid was voted Captain by his peers but the board QB coach knows more than the team and his coaches.  Hell even the last HC wasn't that smart either he started the same guy.  I trust the coaches on this one and the players versus A anonymous poster hiding behind a screen name questioning a kids heart.  Why don't you sit next to his family in the stands and tell them that their kid lacks toughness.  Doubt that will happen.  This is the last I will debate this unless it's about performance.  Go Penguins and whoever wins QB1!

A few things:  No one is making personal comments/attacks.  This is all related to on the field performance.  This is D1 FB.  People are going to provide negative feedback regarding the performance of these adults. 

Some coaches have bad judgement and make big mistakes.  To say, as many here have, that whatever the OC or HC decides must be correct is total BS. Michael Jordan was cut from his HS basketball team.  Great call coach.

Jerry Slocum?  How are his decisions working out?

Anonymous poster? Your name IRL is YSU GO?

Here's a prior post where I refer to the "toughness" comments made on the radio after the Spring Game:

"Re: Spring Game
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 08:48:31 AM »
QuoteModifyRemove
I listened to the WKBN feed which simultaneously played the Sean Hannity show, until the feed went out completely in Q4. 

I thought Hannon and Sammarone were honest in their QB assessments.  They discussed Wells' issues with pick 6's, lack of mobilty, and specifically discussed his lack of toughness, particularly after a play where he took an early dive to avoid contact.  Sammarone spoke of the negative impact that lack of toughness has on the team as a whole.

Davis, who had the best passing efficiency and rushing yards of any YSU QB last year, again outperformed Wells as Davis had two scoring drives (Wells zero, Mays one).

Wells had a better Freshman year, regressed in his Sophomore year, and there is no indication that he will produce better results in 2016. Honestly, the best thing for Wells would be a program suitable for a pro style QB with a solid o line and strong receiver unit.

At least Hosick has the excuse of learning a new system, and in my opinion, the QB competition should be for the back-up between Mays and Hosick.  Wells, if he doesn't transfer, would be the nuclear option if all others are injured.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/apr/16/defense-rules/ "

http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php/topic,13079.msg85697.html#msg85697

These toughness concerns are common knowledge to anyone following YSU FB, and even have been openly discussed on the airwaves.  Deal with it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:03:09 PM by Penguin Nation »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 10:47:48 PM »
I am going to be really, really happy when this preseason ends and the quarterback issue is resolved, one way or the other.  We have had to endure the fathers or close family friends of two candidates pushing their boys (a perfectly natural response.)  Other posters have divided into factions and insisted their guy was the only true choice.  Enough already.  I suspect that most of us just want good quarterback play and don't give a rat's butt which individual provides it.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 12:10:22 AM »
Agreed wick. I want the offense to come out productive this year, or at least a lot better to start with even more improvement each game, and have us just put this behind us.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 07:22:32 AM »
Back in the days when we had Dantonio and Heacock defenses we always worried about the offense (at least I did).  I remember being so confident in the defense that I wanted them on the field to end the game.  I wanted to see them on the field to protect a lead.  I even remember the days when they would give the offense the ball back in better field position at the end of a series of downs. 

I n those years the offense could do anything against the defense in fall ball.  But when the season started two things happened.  First, the offense got untracked against other teams with lesser defenses.  Second, the offense continually improved throughout the year to a point where they would actually give the defense fits in practice.  Tressel would install new plays every week and by the time the end of the season arrived the offense had a large playbook to lean on if needed.

I am looking at practice through that view.  The offense has limited plays in fall practice because we have a QB competition and we should have an excellent defense this year.  I think we have a shot at the title, if we can dump this sissy spread, go to a pro set or west coast and use a FB and throw to the TE"s.  This will give the WR's time to develop without putting the weight of the entire passing offense on their shoulders.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:23:58 AM by penguinpower »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 08:42:18 AM »
I am going to be really, really happy when this preseason ends and the quarterback issue is resolved, one way or the other.  We have had to endure the fathers or close family friends of two candidates pushing their boys (a perfectly natural response.)  Other posters have divided into factions and insisted their guy was the only true choice.  Enough already.  I suspect that most of us just want good quarterback play and don't give a rat's butt which individual provides it.
Wish you were right, but I doubt this question gets answered all year.  We are going to play multiple QBs during the season, that much seems obvious and given any particular game, a particular one QB is going to shine, or not, and the arguments will resume.  Getting close now at least.  Week from tomorrow, and can't get here soon enough!