Author Topic: Duquesne VS. YSU  (Read 34288 times)

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Duquesne VS. YSU
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
I've worked at Duquesne for 16 years and in the past I always stated that YSU should absolutely blow out Duquesne.  This year Duquesne is extremely confident and football publications are giving them high marks.  Last year in the 1st round of the playoffs Duquesne gave W&M a good game before losing.  No one on this board is talking about this game and I fear YSU will be looking at WVU and overlooking Duquesne.  Trust me Duquesne has this game circled on the calendar and cannot wait to play YSU.   

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne VS. YSU
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
There is zero excuse to not win this convincingly by at least three scores.  There is a long week prior to WVU because of the Thursday Duquesne game, and hopefully lessons were learned from the RMU debacle.

That was an impressive performance against W&M but the CAA is not what it used to be. Massey ranks the CAA 6th in FCS conference strength....just above the Patriot.   
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »
I'm sure Duquense does have this game circled. Still, would be really upset if the coaches and players don't come out prepared for them given this is the season opener. I believe YSU will win by double digits at least. Although, I am concerned about how our offense looks with the current QB debacle.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 02:49:57 PM »
Who knows what could happen, especially with our offense situation but I'm confident in saying YSU wins by at least 2 TD's.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 04:04:17 PM »
I am concerned about how our offense looks with the current QB debacle.

What debacle?  According to Webster, a debacle is defined as "a great disaster or complete failure".  Yes there is some healthy competitition, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a debacle! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »

What debacle?  According to Webster, a debacle is defined as "a great disaster or complete failure".  Yes there is some healthy competitition, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a debacle!

Maybe the debacle is (again) having a QB who is sometimes mistaken for a statue except when he does a turf dive when he hears footsteps? :)
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »
The FCS landscape in the east has changed in recent years as the NEC has added scholarships and the CAA has somewhat faded.  Duquesne is a worthy opponent; definitely the equivalent of a middle-pack CAA program.  They have a four-year starter at quarterback and a linebacker who is getting some pre-season All-American attention.  Can they match up with us at every position?  No.  If we play with intensity, we win rather easily.  If we don't heed Penguin Nick's warning, the word "debacle" will be applied to something other than a quarterback situation.

I agree with go guins, the quarterback competition is far from a debacle at the moment.  It is a good thing, and the survivor will have earned the respect of his teammates.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 05:17:49 PM »
Go guins, you are correct. My choice of words there was poor, and I ultimately think we will be stronger offensively, based on this competition.

I will say while I think we will win the game against Duquesne convincingly, based on recent camp reports we will not have a starting qb decided until the first game. Most qbs are better off if they are allowed to get into a rythm. Ultimately, if the starting qb is just getting snaps prior to the first game, there may be more growing pains offensively in the first game than usual.

What do you guys think?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 05:54:02 PM »
Yo, look for the exact opposite to transpire.  The starting quarterback will be expected to perform at a very high level....immediately....no excuses.  If he fails to meet those expectations, he will no longer be the starting quarterback by the second half of the Duquesne game.  There will be enormous pressure.  It might be unfair to the kid.  But that is how it will be. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:30 PM »
Good reminder of reality Nick. We needs to keep our heads together and play game-by-game.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 11:03:24 AM »
According to this, YSU will play Duquesne twice this year. :D

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2016-bracketology-1-0/

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 01:53:39 PM »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 01:57:03 PM »
The team is irked that Duquesne made the playoffs last year.  They are going to punish them

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »

Maybe the debacle is (again) having a QB who is sometimes mistaken for a statue except when he does a turf dive when he hears footsteps? :)
Questioning Ricky's courage?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
Predictions?

I'll go with YSU 24-6