Author Topic: Duquesne VS. YSU  (Read 34650 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Duquesne VS. YSU
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 09:16:13 AM »
Throwing a couple questions out there to discuss:

1--- Any clue what happened with the MyYTV deal? No more Chad doing the games. It was Jim Campbell and a sidekick, perhaps his 570 WKBN HS GOTW sidekick, calling the game on ESPN3 last night. On the 5th quarter show, someone asked about it, and they seemed tight lipped. In addition, @ytownsocial on Twitter reported a week ago that no home or away games would be on local TV this year.

2--- The Ticket Enforcers. Heard from a few people they were not too happy that they are enforcing the seating in the old GA sections and near the top of the stadium. Now I have no problem with this when we have big crowds, but the place was 50% full last night. Any thoughts?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 09:46:28 AM »
Throwing a couple questions out there to discuss:

1--- Any clue what happened with the MyYTV deal? No more Chad doing the games. It was Jim Campbell and a sidekick, perhaps his 570 WKBN HS GOTW sidekick, calling the game on ESPN3 last night. On the 5th quarter show, someone asked about it, and they seemed tight lipped. In addition, @ytownsocial on Twitter reported a week ago that no home or away games would be on local TV this year.

2--- The Ticket Enforcers. Heard from a few people they were not too happy that they are enforcing the seating in the old GA sections and near the top of the stadium. Now I have no problem with this when we have big crowds, but the place was 50% full last night. Any thoughts?

1. Yeah pretty disappointed to hear that. Always liked going back to watch the replays.

2. Didn't there used to be GA seating ? Now every ticket is reserved, even sitting high up right below the box.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
The TV announcers, including Jim Campbell, were putting me to sleep.  It may work for WBB, but not FB. I'd move Drae Smith to TV play-by-play.  Bob and Chris are a great radio combo.

These 1AAA games hurt us in so many ways, and yet our AD had promised them for the foreseeable future.  One 1AAA club is fine, and I think Duquesne should be that solitary cupcake.  As a lifelong Penguin fan, it kills me to see the program reduced to basically being an associated NEC member, when we could collect big checks at Kent and whoop 'em for all of NEO to see. 

This was a larger margin of victory than what we had two years ago (11 points) and supposedly this is a much improved Dukes team.  The officiating was among the worst I've seen and the MOV should've been larger. 

Everything looked solid including run D and O line.  Davis was outstanding, and so was Trent.  If Trent were the starter, then we'd also be solid at QB.  Obviously playing a Big 12 or MVFC is a whole different matter, but this year, IMO, anything is possible, including a national championship and wins at Fargo and Morgantown.  I've not been this optimistic since the Tressel years.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 10:06:24 AM »
Charles in today's Vindy:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/sep/01/ysu-rolls-610-yards-rout-duquesne/?nw

YOUNGSTOWN — The Youngstown State football team crushed Duquesne 45-10 in the season opener for both teams Thursday night at Stambaugh Stadium.

The Penguins rolled up 610 yards, including 384 on the ground, in dismantling the Dukes. Duquesne made the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs last season, but couldn't stop YSU.

Three Penguins running backs ran for at least 89 yards. Senior Jody Webb ran for 96 yards on seven carries and became the 19th player in school history to run for at least 2,000 yards in a career. Sophomore Tevin McCaster led the Penguins with 107 yards rushing on just seven attempts while Martin Ruiz had 89 yards on 11 carries.

Junior quarterback Ricky Davis was 12 pf 16 for 187 yards and three touchdowns in his first college start. Davis also ran for 74 yards

Junior Darien Townsend was a favorite target of Davis catching three passes for 91 yards, including the first two touchdown catches of his career.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 10:10:05 AM »
Another Vindy article from Charles:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/sep/02/ysu-hazard-for-dukes/

Penguins seize control behind Davis at QB

By Charles Grove

cgrove@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

For those who had concerns whether the Youngstown State offense was going to be able to move the ball, breathe a sigh of relief.

The Penguins racked up 610 yards of offense in Thursday’s 45-10 blowout of Duquesne at Stambaugh Stadium, opening their season in dominating fashion.

The Penguins capitalized with a quick start as Ricky Davis hit Darien Townsend for a 49-yard touchdown pass before two minutes had left the clock.

“It was huge,” Davis said. “It really set the tone for the night. I threw it and got the wind knocked out of me and thought it was incomplete, and then I heard the fans roar. It was exciting.”

Davis, who had known for a few weeks that he was going to be the starting quarterback, was impressive to say the least. He completed 12 of 16 passes for 187 yards and three touchdowns and ran 10 times for 74 yards.

Townsend was the main receiving threat. He had three catches — including two touchdowns — for 91 yards.

“I believe I made a good statement tonight but after the game walking down the tunnel I was already thinking about West Virginia,” Davis said.

The Penguins were balanced offensively rushing for 394 yards and throwing for 216. The offensive line dominated Duquesne’s front seven, opening up big holes all night and keeping the backfield protected.

Jody Webb finished with 96 yards and Martin Ruiz rushed for 89 yards and a touchdown. Third-string running back Tevin McCaster picked up 107 yards in the final quarter when the game was no longer in question.

“I thought we had a good mix tonight,” YSU head coach Bo Pelini said. “We weren’t one dimensional and it kept them on their toes. The O-line blocked well tonight.”

Defensively, the defense lived up to the hype. Duquesne quarterback Dillon Buechel was limited to 188 yards passing and the Dukes managed just 34 yards on the ground.

Once the Dukes fell behind, it was apparent the running game had to be at least in part abandoned.

“It’s going to be a good year,” Pelini said speaking about the defense. “I thought we competed really well on the outside.”

Defensive end Avery Moss said once the team knew the pass was coming, that made the night enjoyable.

“It just makes the game more fun,” Moss said. “You’ve got Derek Rivers on the other side and Jaylin [Kelly] bitzing like crazy. It’s just makes everything fun.

Duquesne made the game interesting when trailing 24-7 a couple of minutes before halftime. The Dukes drove down the field and scored a late touchdown as Buechel hit Nehari Crawford from six yards out to make it a two-score game.

But that was all the Dukes could muster.

A quick possession after halftime and another Penguins score erased nearly all the doubt of the outcome.

“It was important to step on their throats after we kind of gave them life,” Pelini said. “We had a good start to the third quarter and got the momentum back which I thought was good.”

The overall grade Davis and the coaching staff gave out? Good but still things to work on before the Penguins head to Morgantown to face West Virginia.

“I just need to clean up some little mistakes and get ready for West Virginia,” Davis said. “There were a couple of mistakes I wish I could have back.”

But the extra time off after a Thursday opener should help.

“The days off are huge,” Davis said. “We’ll need a lot of preparation.”

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2016, 11:37:43 AM »
 I think Penguin Nation's post nailed it.   I heard MyYTV and YSU had a falling out, usually these things are about money.  But I agree, liked the replay.

Our schedule is pathetic and a failed attempt by Ron Strollo to secure a playoff berth, how has that worked out the past decade?   Many fans don't want to come see a scrimmage and that is what we are doing my playing the two NEC teams.   I hear Strollo always wants 6 home games, sad.    Look at who North Dakota State and Northern Iowa schedule, quality FCS teams that we should be playing.   

Maybe one sure win, but not two.   If you can't beat the good FCS teams in a home and home scheduling, then you are probably not good enough to make the playoffs anyway.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »
First of all, s/o to the students. Prob the biggest student section for years at a YSU game.

Agreed.  Hope they continue to show up in those numbers.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 01:59:52 PM »
Guys, I have said this before and will continue to do so. I want home games. No other way to say it. Don't care who, just get them in the Ice Castle. I want to play no one that is top-tier until we have had some string of success; so yes it will be for some time to come even if success begins this year. Just live with it. Enjoy tailgating and all the festivities & pageantry that is Penguin football. We are a DI football team, we schedule out quite a few years.

As to the game:

1. Is it just me or did that game seem to go on forever?

2. QB situation is still open. I found it interesting that Hosick passed (did not run) the entire first series. Then he was in hand-off clock churning mode his second and final series. He does have more velocity on the ball than Davis, but not as much as Wells. He is being evaluated by coach M & may yet be a starter for us.

3. Ruiz is our #1 back, no question. I love Webb, but he is a speed back, not a bread & butter back. Ruiz has more ability to make a hole. Having him come in at reserve, we made Ruiz a target, but once he was in for awhile he took over. McCaster was awesome and Alessi showed off his skills as well. Very happy to see that. That second run by Alessi (the one over the left), showed off some really good footwork; he got down low and leaped over a would-be tackler and stayed in stride.

4. Defense really has some questions, no matter what you read. We give up WAY too many yards on first-down still, then tighten up. That QB for Duquesne is a better passer than most we will see in the MVFC, but not all of them. I am not sure what game Moss was playing in, but we really did not pressure the way he indicated. I am happy the way the D-line played, but they were far from dominant.

5. Improved Dline play made life easier for the LB's, but late in the first half Duquesne mixed-up the passes inside and out ...we looked silly ...made mistakes and gave up a TD. Look for that style of offense against us all game next week ..we were exposed. As Go states, Corners need work.

6. Aside from some nice ground work. Offensively it looks like we are going back to more balance ...which is what we all hoped for after last year. Until we see some solid opposition we will not know. I would like to see more option calls. Ruiz was looking good at receiving and Webb looked like a WR out there at times ...nice job.

7. Special teams, special teams special teams. After adding a coordinator I expected something, but our coverage is terrible. We brought on some REALLY nice pressure on the punting game though. We need more height on the kick-offs. MVFC teams will take it to the house against us. Either that or we need about 10-more yards of distance to carry the ball out of the back of the end-zone. On a positive note, our speed getting down field is exceptional. Connor does not seem to have the leg strength, but I have not seen him kick-off since he began wearing a shoe ...I would have liked to see more rotation yesterday ...maybe will will in 2-weeks.  Schuler took some flack yesterday, but his punt up close was very good, no matter what the announcer said. It hit flat, so it did not roll very far, but it was just what we needed. I still have a couple of questions in that position, but I like what I am seeing.

8. Nice visiting crowd. Very vocal. Remember that for all the bi***ing people do around here, we will be forced to schedule home & home against these guys in just a couple of years. They are full-scholarship before long. YSU student section ...THANK YOU!! They left early, but that is to be expected at a night game.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:30:11 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
Strollo wants an extra home game for revenue purposes, understandable. But for a playoff perspective, to play a high ranked FCS opponent either home or away. Say we lose that game on the road by 1 or 2 points. Tough, close game. The committee probably thinks more highly of that than beating Duquesne or Bobby Morris by 30 at home. If you're going to lose, lose early and lose out of conference.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2016, 03:14:35 PM »
Two NEC/1AAA games are idiocy from every angle.  We can generate more revenue playing Kent (>$300k), it hurts recruiting, playoff selection, fan interest, attendance, and MVFC preparation.

I must assume moRon has the AD job for life, therefore MBB will perpetually suck, even post-Slocum.  FB will do well in the Pelini era, but if Carl doesn't stay on as HC, then FB too will come to resemble MBB if moRon selects the next HC after 2018.

Remember that Pelini specifically stated that it was Tressel that lured him to YSU, Tressel flew to Lincoln to meet with him, and Tressel will almost certainly seek political office in the next few years and leave YSU.

Without Tressel inserting himself into the process, moRon was going to hire Dean Hood, who was soon therafter fired by EKU.

It's a shame, because outside of the Pelini years, we'll never see revenue sports at YSU thrive....ever.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:19:21 PM by Penguin Nation »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »
Okay Nation :)

Oh so if we hire Bo Pelini it is Tressel's hire ...but if we hire Hood it is Strollo's hire? LOL. So the process is different if you are famous? "hey let me know if you are (or are not) a well-known IA/FBS coach and I will determine who talks to you".

LOL. FYI, Strollo hired Pelini. Tressel has so little do with sports you would not believe. There is process in place that is the same no matter what. FYI Hood is a very good coach; which is why he is Assistant Head Coach in FBS right now.

So tell me something. in 1985, the three finalists to replace Narduzzi were:
1. Jim Tressel: Position coach at OhioState.
2. Gerry Faust: Former Head Coach of Notre Dame
3. Sam Rutigliano: Former Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns

Which one would you have hired?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:54:48 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2016, 05:07:33 PM »
JT is so uninvolved that he flew to Lincoln to meet with BP?

Hood is so good that EKU fired him?

I'll just put this here:

"..Tressel was a big reason why he took the job, wants to learn a lot from him, since he has an understanding of how to coach on this level"

http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php/topic,10088.0.html

Interesting fact: Hood had a worse record (at an inferior program) than the Wolf had at YSU for the two years preceding the hire.  Strollo was literally ready to hire a downgrade from the guy we were firing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:28:22 PM by Penguin Nation »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2016, 05:41:03 PM »
Ok, the season has started, the weather was great, student section was really good, team played good albeit a few too many flags, we won by a bunch, oh yeah we beat a PLAYOFF team from last year, and yet negativity.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »
I think we looked good,  but we will see soon enough.  I cannot believe that Bobby Morris lost to a weak D2 team, won the turnover margin, a d only mustered something like 169 yards of offense.  We are going to crush them and it isn't going to help us.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »
I think we looked good,  but we will see soon enough.  I cannot believe that Bobby Morris lost to a weak D2 team, won the turnover margin, a d only mustered something like 169 yards of offense.  We are going to crush them and it isn't going to help us.

So an increase in the "W" column does not help?