Author Topic: Player/Staff Discussions  (Read 3967 times)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Player/Staff Discussions
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
There are a few players that I have a very keen interest in, so I thought we needed a thread, feel free to add anyone that sparks your interest:

No order, maybe number:

- Darius Shackleford; the kid is from Newark, 6-4 WR. Now not Newark Catholic, but still a larger program. second-team All-OCC Ohio Division honoree…led Licking County in receiving yards (587) and receptions (46). How he only had 4 TDs has me concerned.

- Alvin Bailey: This is the Florida transfer QB. Was a WR for UofF and should be at YSU. Played in a state champion 2-QB system in high-school.

- Jonathan Pollock: This is the Rutgers transfer at LB. Very highly decorated in HS, even played on two national HS all-star squads. Maybe I am too old, but I remember the day when all of the best LB's in the country wanted to play for Rutgers. Possible injury problem.

- Nathan Mays: QB. I really would like to see this guy get his opportunities and make the best of it. He is the perfect QB for our system.

- Avery Moss: Was a DE transfer from Nebraska and did play quite a bit last year. He needs to earn a starting job and show us what he can do.

- Kyle Hegedus: St. Eds caliber player at Safety. Seemed to excel at the return game. I think this kid has something. I suspect he will not be redshirted as he fills too many needs.

- Solomon Warfield: Another St. Ed's kid at Safety. He played many games for us last season. If he pans out, then we could redshirt Hegedus..

- Avery Larkin: CB out of LaSalle. He needs to step up for us this year and take a starting job. Last year we used at DB when coach Carl was using 6-guys.

- Jermiah Braswell: Toledo Central guys with brains. Just wish the best for him, I like the guys with brains and brawn.

- Jalyn Powell: Michigan State transfer. Saw limited action last year. Like a couple of the other FBS guys, he needs to step up his game.

- Billy Nicoe Hurst: California League JUCO at DB.

- Damoun Patterson: WR From Utah State and then transferred to a JUCO. Had interest from FBS schools.

- London Pearson: Can anyone confirm if he is here or at Marshall? There were 2 TB's I did not recognize at practice.

- Nathan Pittman: LB Like others he need to see if he can earn a starting job.. I like his size and he tackles well.

- Joe Alessi: TB: He will come off of redshirt this year, Looks bigger than 196lbs.

- Jayson Gobble: TB: A true frosh with Lots of great numbers and 1st-team all state.

- Christiaan Randall-Posey: LB. I have high hopes for this guy. Another guys with brains and brawn.

- Stefan Derrick II: Another California JUCO and WR ...lots of stats.

- Shereif Bynum: DL all Detroit and all-Michigan 1st-team. Coming of RS year.

- Simon Smith: DE all state played in the Ohio N vs. S game. Also coming off RS year.

- Donald Mesier: DT. Took his RS year after 2-years at Mesa CC.

- Nate Needham: P/K Looks like he will start at punter. Sheely is gone.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Player/Staff Discussions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 12:08:01 PM »
Couple things to clear up:

Bailey wis listed as WR, thats where he's gonna stay.

Pollock left Rutgers when they hired Ash as head coach.

Hegedus redshirted last year, along with Shackleford.

I'm interested to see who the starting DB is besides Rivers. Is it going to be Dortch ? Thompson got abused last year in the slot. Hopefully Larkin or Warfield can step up.

Let's hope Bailey can step in and be the starting WR. He's not the biggest guy so maybe a nice slot. I like Derrick at WR a lot. We will see how it shakes out. We will tell a lot more once the scrimmage is over saturday.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:35:30 PM »
A new name that jumped out at me while scanning the roster was Connor Sharp of West Branch.  Wolf really wanted him to become a Penguin, but he went to Air Force instead.  Was also a good wrestler and thrower in track.  I hope he can contribute.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
A few guys I'm expecting to make a much bigger impact this season.
Avery Moss
Solomon Warfield
Jalyn Powell
Isiah Scott
The QB position regardless of who wins the job

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:57:13 PM »
It is possible that Scott is the lynchpin to the whole offense.  Without some help, any of the QB's will be hardpressed to do much.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!