Author Topic: 2016-17 Non-Horizon League Basketball Schedule  (Read 7867 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
2016-17 Non-Horizon League Basketball Schedule
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »
Youngstown, Ohio -- Youngstown State men's basketball Head Coach Jerry Slocum announced the Penguins' 2016-17 13-game non-conference schedule on Tuesday.

"We have another challenging schedule that we are excited about," Slocum said. "Our players will be facing several tough tests in the first couple months of the season, but that will benefit us when Horizon League plays starts."

The Penguins play five non-Horizon League home contests beginning with the Second Annual Northeast Ohio Coaches vs. Cancer Doubleheader when they host Akron, Saturday, Nov. 12. As part of the doubleheader, Horizon League member Cleveland State will face Kent State.

After visiting Mid-American Conference foe Toledo, the Penguins head to South Alabama, Nov. 18-20, for an exempt tournament and will face the Jaguars, Florida International and Jacksonville. The Penguins' home contest against Westminster on Nov. 22 is part of the tournament.

Youngstown State also faces a pair of teams from the Big Ten Conference, Michigan State on Dec. 6, and Ohio State to close out the non-league portion of the slate on Dec. 20.

The Penguins other home games include Canisius (Nov. 26), Oberlin (Dec. 3) and Niagara (Dec. 14). Youngstown State will visit Robert Morris (Nov. 30) and American (Dec. 10).

Season Tickets will go on sale, Sept. 15. For more information, call the YSU Ticket Office at (330) 941-1YSU.

Below are capsules of some of the Penguins' non-league foes:

Akron:  The Zips went 26-9 overall and won the Mid-American Conference regular-season championship…lost to Buffalo in the MAC Tournament Championship game…Played Ohio State in the first round of the National Invitational Tournament, lost 72-63…This will be the 89th meeting between Youngstown State and Akron…Zips own a 57-31 advantage in the all-time series.

Toledo: Finished in fifth in the West Division of the Mid-American Conference with a record of 8-10…Overall went 17-15…Under the direction of Tod Kowalczyk, who used to coach at Horizon League member Green Bay…This is the 13th meeting between YSU and Toledo, and the Rockets own a 10-2 advantage in the all-time series.

Jacksonville: Went 16-16 last season with an 8-6 mark in the A-Sun…Lost to Lipscomb, 92-89, in the first round of the A-Sun Tournament…This will be the first meeting between Youngstown State and Jacksonville.

South Alabama: Jaguars are coming off a 14-19 season and an 8-12 mark in the Sun Belt Conference... Beat Georgia Southern, 67-61, in the first round of the Sun Belt Tournament and lost to Louisiana-Lafayette, 90-68, in the second round…The Penguins and Jaguars have met three times previously in the mid-1980s and South Alabama leads the series, 2-1.

FIU: Posted a 13-17 overall record and a 7-10 mark in Conference USA last season…Lost to UAB in the CUSA Tournament…In the only meeting between the schools, Youngstown State defeated FIU, 74-72, in overtime on Nov. 9, 2013.

Canisius: Under the direction of first-year Head Coach Reggie Witherspoon, formerly the head coach at Buffalo…Coming off a 14-19 overall record and an 8-12 MAAC record…This will be the fifth meeting in the all-time series, Canisius leads, 4-0…The Golden Griffins defeated the Penguins, 84-82, in overtime in the second round of the CIT in 2013.

Robert Morris: Coming of a 10-22 record in 2015-16 and an 8-10 mark in the NEC...Lost to Wagner, 59-50, in the first round of the NEC Tournament…The Penguins and Colonials have met 16 times previously…RMU owns a 9-7 advantage in the all-time series…YSU has won the last three contests.

Michigan State:  Went 29-6 overall and 13-5 in the B1G…Earned No. 2 seed and won the B1G Tournament with a 66-62 defeat of Purdue…Lost to Middle Tennessee State, 90-81, in the NCAA Tournament…Second meeting between Youngstown State and Michigan State…Previous meeting was in 2006-07 and MSU won, 86-61.

American: The Eagles, who went 12-19 overall and 9-9 in the Patriot League, defeated the Penguins, 60-56, last season at the Beeghly Center in the first meeting between the two schools. American won 10 of its last 14 games in 2015-16.

Niagara: Went 7-25 last season with a 5-15 mark in the MAAC…This will be the 14th meeting between Youngstown State and Niagara…Purple Eagles own a 7-6 lead in the all-time series…YSU won the last meeting, 88-70, last season.

Ohio State: Went 21-14 overall with an 11-7 mark in the B1G…Defeated Akron, 72-63, in overtime and lost to Florida, 74-66, in the second round of the NIT…Fourth meeting between YSU and Ohio State…Buckeyes lead series, 3-0, and the last meeting was in 2006-07.

November
Sat. 12    Akron    Northeast Ohio Coaches vs. Cancer    
Tue. 15    at Toledo       
Fri. 18    vs. Jacksonville @ Mobile, Ala.    South Alabama Tournament       
Sat. 19    at South Ala.    South Alabama Tournament       
Sun. 20    vs. Florida Int'l @ Mobile, Ala.    South Alabama Tournament       
Tue. 22    Westminster (Pa.)    South Alabama Tournament       
Sat. 26    Canisius       
Wed. 30    at Robert Morris       

December
Sat. 3    Oberlin    
Tue. 6    at Michigan State    
Sat. 10    at American    
Wed. 14    at Niagara       
Tue. 20    at Ohio State    

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-17 Non-Horizon League Basketball Schedule
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:31:51 PM »
I wondered why the final home football game against Southern Illinois was slated for a noon kickoff.  So we are hosting that northeastern Ohio tournament on the same day.  Does anyone else think that is another case of bad marketing?  If we win the football game and are headed to the playoffs (only lowly Missouri State would be left,) our fans will be happy and have no inclination to hang around campus for basketball.  In fact, they would get angry if the university tries to stop the celebration in the tailgate lot prematurely.  Worse, if we lose to SIU, or if the playoffs are out of reach again, the small football crowd will quickly depart.

Actually, would it not be better to forego the opportunity to host that tournament until such a time as we have a competitive DI team with a new coach....and perhaps an actual basketball fan base?  Seems to me we will just embarrass ourselves with the empty gym, not counting any fans the other schools might bring.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 02:44:12 AM »
I wondered why the final home football game against Southern Illinois was slated for a noon kickoff.  So we are hosting that northeastern Ohio tournament on the same day.  Does anyone else think that is another case of bad marketing?  If we win the football game and are headed to the playoffs (only lowly Missouri State would be left,) our fans will be happy and have no inclination to hang around campus for basketball.  In fact, they would get angry if the university tries to stop the celebration in the tailgate lot prematurely.  Worse, if we lose to SIU, or if the playoffs are out of reach again, the small football crowd will quickly depart.

Actually, would it not be better to forego the opportunity to host that tournament until such a time as we have a competitive DI team with a new coach....and perhaps an actual basketball fan base?  Seems to me we will just embarrass ourselves with the empty gym, not counting any fans the other schools might bring.

Spot on as usual.  Couldn't agree more.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 10:12:44 AM »
That's the YSU marketing department for ya.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
I do not think this means anything in terms of playing in the basketball tournament. The university extending the post-game celebration is only a dream ...not enough security as it is. Free admission to the BB game with a football ticket could be a reality. Add in a specially-priced food package and you have a winner.

PS: New coach hype wears off in about 1 game, ask Pelini. Fans come to see a winning team, not a winning coach. Slocum is a hero with a winning record. Expectations are bit higher for coach P ...post-season.

On a separate topic dealing with tailgating ...Ohio State police are affiliated with the City of Columbus. The former assistant chief attends the same gym that I do on campus and he says that it really helps with events as well as training. I wonder how much association YSU has with YPD?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »
It's a legit D1 schedule.  As such, we're gonna get spanked.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
I do not think this means anything in terms of playing in the basketball tournament. The university extending the post-game celebration is only a dream ...not enough security as it is. Free admission to the BB game with a football ticket could be a reality. Add in a specially-priced food package and you have a winner.

PS: New coach hype wears off in about 1 game, ask Pelini. Fans come to see a winning team, not a winning coach. Slocum is a hero with a winning record. Expectations are bit higher for coach P ...post-season.

On a separate topic dealing with tailgating ...Ohio State police are affiliated with the City of Columbus. The former assistant chief attends the same gym that I do on campus and he says that it really helps with events as well as training. I wonder how much association YSU has with YPD?

To answer your question from what I know from my friend being a YSU officer, and my uncle formerly being one (although he was a backup not full time and mainly provided security for football games) they have a pretty close association with YPD

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 06:33:57 PM »
It's one of the better schedules YSU basketball has had in several years. I like Akron and Canisius at home, but we still have two so-called weeny games with Westminster and Oberlin. I don't mind one , but not two or three. The away games with Ohio St. and Michigan St. are BIG.

Now what kind of team will we field is the real question. I am curious does the summer league with Pitt, WVA and others still exist? That was a great opportunity for YSU players to hone in improving their game. We seemed to be more competitive in the Horizon League when the players were involved with the summer league.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 07:21:28 PM »
It's one of the better schedules YSU basketball has had in several years. I like Akron and Canisius at home, but we still have two so-called weeny games with Westminster and Oberlin. I don't mind one , but not two or three. The away games with Ohio St. and Michigan St. are BIG.

Now what kind of team will we field is the real question. I am curious does the summer league with Pitt, WVA and others still exist? That was a great opportunity for YSU players to hone in improving their game. We seemed to be more competitive in the Horizon League when the players were involved with the summer league.

That tourney always kicks off on the 4th-of-july and I had plans to go. We (YSU) were asked to attend this year, but our new summer semester system places the tournament during off weeks, so for this year (and the foreseeable future) we cannot send players. I watched some of it on Root when I was up in Ytown for the 4th of July. Several people involved in the Pittsburgh Pro-Am commented on how well YSU played and they hope we will be able to return.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
Thanks Fan for the update on the summer Basketball. It is a shame we can not participate in that league. It helped our former players to be more prepared for the Horizon League. Maybe next year.   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:43:51 PM »
Going to be another long year.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
I like that the NEO schools have gotten together to play the Coaches vs cancer doubleheader, but would like to see them do it after Thanksgiving.  This way there is less of a chance it competes with football.  Last year it started at 5 at Kent, and YSU was playing NDSU at 2.  It'll make for a long day this year for the fans that want to attend the SIU game and the doubleheader.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »
http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/10713947-74/league-players-summer

Giammarco said two previous summer-league regulars, West Virginia and Youngstown State, didn't send players to the league this year. West Virginia declined because of the three-hour round-trip drive; Youngstown State changed its summer semesters, and players won't be enrolled in school when the league is underway.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 08:11:16 PM »
Other than Akron home schedule stinks.  Away game's are tough though.  Don't expect mucheck more than 10 wins as usual