Author Topic: YSU/MVFC Preseason Rankings  (Read 22248 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU/MVFC Preseason Rankings
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
Just a few things:

1. Again with the MAC ...that conference is dead to us. No return ...no home.
2. Chief ...we have no choice. As these partial-scholarship teams get more players, there will be no more home-only teams for us. Dayton, Duquesne and RMU will ALL expect returns.
3. Go, it is more than just a few people, it s recruiting. We recruit quite a bit from SEOH. We even have a summer camp there. This is what we need.
I respectfully disagree.  The MAC wants to pay us to play, I'm in. 
For somebody who doesn't offer home and home with the PFL, how do we say "NO MAC"?

Easy, it's a matter of pride, I have a long memory.
Yes, and false pride does a lot of damage.  Looks like we are being shut out of the Big10 and self-shut out of the MAC.  With nobody left to play, looks like pride has left us with home and home against Dayton!  Reallly good decision making.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
Just a few things:

1. Again with the MAC ...that conference is dead to us. No return ...no home.
2. Chief ...we have no choice. As these partial-scholarship teams get more players, there will be no more home-only teams for us. Dayton, Duquesne and RMU will ALL expect returns.
3. Go, it is more than just a few people, it s recruiting. We recruit quite a bit from SEOH. We even have a summer camp there. This is what we need.
I respectfully disagree.  The MAC wants to pay us to play, I'm in. 
For somebody who doesn't offer home and home with the PFL, how do we say "NO MAC"?

Easy, it's a matter of pride, I have a long memory.
Yes, and false pride does a lot of damage.  Looks like we are being shut out of the Big10 and self-shut out of the MAC.  With nobody left to play, looks like pride has left us with home and home against Dayton!  Reallly good decision making.

Just a tad on the negative side I would say, but if that is what you believe I am cool with it.

I am pretty sure that there are other schools out there that are not big ten or mac. Big ten is the big ten but the mac is a different story, I will be shocked if the look of the mac does not have a big change in the next 5-6 years that will have a positive effect on YSU.

Not false pride - Penguin Pride!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 09:38:32 PM »
Look ... that mention on Dayton, Cinci and possibly Columbus news is worth a lot of cash to us in terms of in-state recruits. We need to be smart. The two Pittsburgh games (RMU and Duquesne) give the fans a reasonably close game & mentions on 2, 4, 11 and 53. Add in a few games with Pitt and we can really control wPA recruiting (at the mid-major level of course). With Monty's connections, a solid camp and maybe a couple games down in Dayton (eventually Cinci) we begin to make a better recruiting presence in the central to southwest part of the state. You know ...the "state of Youngstown" as coach T used to call it. There seems to be so much untapped talent in that part of Ohio.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:40:19 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:58 AM »
The best recruitment tool is winning, and the bigger the wins the more allure to the recruit.  We could own non-P5 recruiting in NE Ohio with a few thumpings of Akron and Can't.  Want a game in SW Ohio? Then let's play Miami (OH)...prolly more winnable than even Akron or Kent.  Like I said earlier, they are paying a ton of $$$.

Instead we play patty cake with 1AAA schools, excuse me but that's a schedule for p---ies.  Small risk, small reward.  Big risk, big reward......although playing MAC schools isn't even that high risk.

Now we have BP and CP running the team.  If we can't swing for the fences now with a bolder schedule, then when?  Is it our destiny to always be a rung below the crappy MAC in terms of perception?

I suspect after a few embarrassing losses to YSU, MAC teams will stop playing us.  I understand NDSU is having trouble findings FBS opponents for that reason.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »
Want to recruit today's kids?  TV. 
We can't even get on local TV live.  These kids could care less if you play Dayton in Dayton.  Look at the Dayton attendance, the parents of their players hardly care.  You think good player from let's say Kettering is thinking about D-1 Akron vs 1-AA Youngstown and he thinks OH, didn't I see YSU at Dayton and that's where I'm going?  C'mon man, get on TV vs NDSU in the payoffs on none of that means s _ _ ! 

I did notice a Dayton news piece titled:
"Football team excels despite home attendance"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2016, 11:31:29 AM »
Time to make the playoffs and get some national exposure. That has all faded away. The younger generation does not even remember the penguin teams of the 90's.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 10:23:57 AM »
Neither do I and I went to every championship game.   No playoffs=no fans=no interest.  Makes recruiting tough.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »
Guys ...winning and it's exposure is obvious. My comments are on the art/science of recruiting and scheduling to benefit your team. Scheduling (not post-season) loses against power-FCS schools will chase away more fans/recruits faster than you can count. We thought (and many still think) that we could have played well or beaten OSU back in the 90's. The only thing that kept that feeling alive was NOT playing the Buckeyes.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 11:01:57 AM »
Guys ...winning and it's exposure is obvious. My comments are on the art/science of recruiting and scheduling to benefit your team. Scheduling (not post-season) loses against power-FCS schools will chase away more fans/recruits faster than you can count. We thought (and many still think) that we could have played well or beaten OSU back in the 90's. The only thing that kept that feeling alive was NOT playing the Buckeyes.
1-AA I hate to say this, but you are starting to sound like a civilized Paladin.  "The art/science of recruiting”?  C'mon man, recruiting is 2 things.  Having a staff that recognizes talent that will help your program and a coach that can sell a kid and his parents when sitting in their living room is all that matters.
Tressel has lots of great traits, but at those 2 he was masterful.  He could recognize talent that would help YSU better than any person who has ever lived and when sitting down one on one, the sob can sell snowballs to eskimos!  Look at the job he is doing selling rich guys on giving millions to YSU! 
We still don’t know how BP is doing or can do at the 1-AA level.  Without Nebraska transfers last year's D would have been significantly less effective.  I haven’t heard one guy say the last 2 classes were anything special.  The jury is out, but where we play Dayton has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 01:31:15 PM »
YSU was not beating the Buckeye's in the 90's.  Although it is fun to think it.  8)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »
1-AA I hate to say this, but you are starting to sound like a civilized Paladin.  "The art/science of recruiting”?  C'mon man, recruiting is 2 things.  Having a staff that recognizes talent that will help your program and a coach that can sell a kid and his parents when sitting in their living room is all that matters.
Tressel has lots of great traits, but at those 2 he was masterful.  He could recognize talent that would help YSU better than any person who has ever lived and when sitting down one on one, the sob can sell snowballs to eskimos!  Look at the job he is doing selling rich guys on giving millions to YSU! 
We still don’t know how BP is doing or can do at the 1-AA level.  Without Nebraska transfers last year's D would have been significantly less effective.  I haven’t heard one guy say the last 2 classes were anything special.  The jury is out, but where we play Dayton has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

I agree completely on coach P's recruiting being new Go; but I do like the local concentration, so I am willing to give him an extra couple of classes then I was willing to give coach Wolf.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »
1-AA "I agree completely on coach P's recruiting being new Go; but I do like the local concentration, so I am willing to give him an extra couple of classes then I was willing to give coach Wolf."

The problem is it takes a couple of years to know what you've got.  ESPECIALLY at 1-AA level, the scouting combines hardly know the guy's names much less what potential they have.  We've had some "star" recruits come in and lay huge eggs, AND we've had the oposite, guys without hype come in and be big time players.  And you don't always know after 1 year.
We'll see, that's for sure.
I always thought Wolford was a decent recruiter, but his retension and development programs SUCKED!
I expect a lot more from Bo in those two areas.