Author Topic: YSU/MVFC Preseason Rankings  (Read 22394 times)

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU/MVFC Preseason Rankings
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:09:38 PM »
This board has to liven up a bit here...

What's everyone's thoughts on some of the predictions for the season. I just made my annual trip to Barnes and Nobles to nab the season preview magazines and here's what they're saying...

-Sporting News; YSU 6th in the MVFC, unranked nationally. Derek Rivers listed as the Top NFL Prospect in the League. (Rest of MVFC - #1 NDSU, #4 UNI, #10 Illinois State, #12 SDSU, #16 W. Illinois)

-Lindy's Sports; YSU 6th in the MVFC, ranked #24 nationally. Sites YSU as possibly being able to slink from the middle of the pack to the upper tier of the league. (Rest of MVFC - #1 NDSU, #4 UNI, #6 SDSU, #17 W. Illinois, #20 Illinois State)

-Compughterrankings.com; YSU ranked #22 nationally. (Rest of MVFC - #1 NDSU, #3 UNI, #5 SDSU, #6 Illinois St, #14 W. Illinois)

I also saw a couple individual posters (that were not YSU faithful haha) at various sites that had YSU as a Top 10 contender! The funny thing is based on 1 or 2 big games we honestly could go anywhere from Top 5 to completely unranked... I guess its like that when 5 or 6 of our conference teams are in the Top 25.

I know Game 1 is a month and a half away but Duquesne is ranked #22 in Lindy's Sports Preseason Rankings and seems to be a continually improving program (coming off close playoff loss to William & Mary after making the FCS postseason for the first time in program history). Was listed as a Top OOC matchup on another site (I cant remember which). Also, they gave us a game a couple years ago (34-23). I think it may be a little overhyped if you actually know about the disparity between the MVFC and any mid-major FCS conference but its an intriguing matchup nonetheless. And the biggest thing is that it should give us at least some indication of how the season will go.

On a side note, Illinois State and North Dakota State were listed as the #3 and #5 FCS recruiting classes respectively... the rich keep on getting richer I guess.

Any thoughts?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU/MVFC Preseason Rankings
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:10:50 PM »
Good.  Finally something meaningful to discuss. 

First, the gap between the MVFC and the rest of FCS has never been larger.  That was graphically proven last year when NDSU dismantled a supposedly powerful Jacksonville State team in the finals.  At least five of the top ten teams in the nation reside in the MVFC.  Whether we are one of the five, time will tell.

Rating FCS recruiting classes is rather silly.  Everybody knows the top high school talent that gets distributed among the FBS powers.  At the G5 or FCS level, players that are overlooked by the big boys might evolve into a Derek Rivers, or they might be multi-star high school recruits that can not even play at our level.  Anyone who guarantees that an incoming freshman in FCS will be a dominant player is being foolish or dishonest.

Why the preseason love for Western Illinois?  Did they not nearly embarrass our league by struggling against non-scholarship Dayton in the playoffs?  As for Illinois State, let us see how they perform without their stud quarterback and running back, both FBS transfers, that are now gone.

Duquesne is to be commended for building a competitive team with scholarship limitations.  Their quarterback is good, and they will toss it at least fifty times against us.  Against a Wolford defense, that would be a problem.  Against a Pelini defense, not so much.  And Duquesne cannot play defense at MVFC standards.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:28:46 AM »
I think the preseason love for western is due to such a high percentage of returning starters. Their team was very young last year. Whether or not that will translate to success is yet to be seen, but they may turn out to have a pretty good season this year.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 12:30:25 AM »
Hopefully, a statement is made in the Duquesne game. If the offense shows lots of promise, and the defense is playing to the level I am expecting, this will be a pretty good year. Regarding rankings, it doesn't really matter yet. I would put YSU in the top 25 near the end for now, and give it a wait and see type attitude. But I do think at worst they finish 4-6th MVFC placement with the chance for greatness. Giving it a hopeful wait and see  8) fb
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:32:34 AM by The YO Show »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »
Derek Rivers gets drafted. That's my prediction for the year ;)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »
Wonder what Tressel really thinks of the MVFC?  He was never much for conference focus, rather focused on "getting better every week" and focusing on the playoffs.  Didn’t bother him to lose a game or 2 along the way, just get better and get in the playoffs. 
One thing for sure, we control our own destiny.  Win, we're in the playoffs.
Should be good season, but concerned about DB's and OL and lack of a power back for short yardage and pass blocking.  LB corps could be hurt a ton with gun incident.  Anybody have an update on that?

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 12:18:36 PM »
Why the preseason love for Western Illinois?  Did they not nearly embarrass our league by struggling against non-scholarship Dayton in the playoffs?  As for Illinois State, let us see how they perform without their stud quarterback and running back, both FBS transfers, that are now gone.

Agreed.  I would put YSU ahead of these two.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
Nice football chatter here. Also, look at the coaching move from WIU to USD. USD is the team to watch ...not WIU. BTW, UD is a very good football team, if we had them on our schedule every year (which we should ...along with RMU and Duquesne), it would be Dayton that would be the first team to upset us.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »
Nice football chatter here. Also, look at the coaching move from WIU to USD. USD is the team to watch ...not WIU. BTW, UD is a very good football team, if we had them on our schedule every year (which we should ...along with RMU and Duquesne), it would be Dayton that would be the first team to upset us.
If we are serious about costs, budgets, travel etc. then membership in the Pioneer Football League is the best option for YSU.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 02:27:49 PM »

Neither of those 3 teams should ever upset YSU. Should play maybe 1 of them a year. Time to step up and start playing other power FCS schools.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »

Neither of those 3 teams should ever upset YSU. Should play maybe 1 of them a year. Time to step up and start playing other power FCS schools.

Agree, but as long as money games are allowed, any power FCS school (OOC) is just not practical. Do you realize how many YSU fans live in Columbus (myself included)? It would be awesome to go see them in Dayton. I bet 500 would be the low side of people traveling to the game. 2k upside. That is more than we will have at WVU or Pitt.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »
1-AA, I'm all for playing in the PFC if we want, but playing Dayton so people in Columbus could save an hour over a home game sounds kind of silly to me. 
Again, from the total expense standpoint PFC makes huge sense.  From "being the best you can be" it makes no sense.  We'll see what happens this season.  Maybe Bri’onte Dunn wants to get in on a good thing and we get competitive with the elite in FCS! 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
It would be awesome to go see them in Dayton. I bet 500 would be the low side of people traveling to the game. 2k upside. That is more than we will have at WVU or Pitt.

A road game at Dayton?? Over a road game at an Ohio MAC program??  No way you're serious.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »
It would be awesome to go see them in Dayton. I bet 500 would be the low side of people traveling to the game. 2k upside. That is more than we will have at WVU or Pitt.

A road game at Dayton?? Over a road game at an Ohio MAC program??  No way you're serious.

That's what I was thinking.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »
Never should we ever play AT Dayton lol.