Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186772 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2016, 07:07:40 PM »
I have seen him in two scrimmages, spring and a few practices Mayor. I like what I see, but not sure it is a real step-up. His throwing style is about the same as the others on open and short passes. Very different on the long ball. No question he has a good arm, has a very large arc on the ball. Positions the passes well, better than Davis, not as good as Wells or Mays. Seems to have the best (by far) speed on the ground. He truly out-ran a safety and 2 DB's on that TD last weekend. Then again, his plays were primarily running so we get a good look at him.

Let me point out how much I feel all of the QB's have improved Mayor. Could it be the presence of Hosick? Very well could be. Wells is playing as well as he has ever played ...Davis and Mays are playing better than they have ever played. Mays is on headset most all the time.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2016, 10:47:16 PM »
13 days

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 20, 2016, 03:08:31 AM »
12 days!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 20, 2016, 01:49:02 PM »
Another rough day for the 1st team offense. Hosick looked pretty good with the 2's. Made some nice plays.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 20, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »
I had a chance to watch the scrimmage today from 10-11. Out of the three QBs I saw, Hosick look very good running and passing the team right down the field. His 2nd time he fumbled and looked poor. Ricky did a couple nice runs and had a couple 6-10 yd passes; but he was unable to sustain a solid drive. Wells struggled, he threw a pass at the WR feet and then over the WR's head. He did throw one right on the numbers and the WR dropped it.

The defense looked good and had very good coverage on the WR's. I didn't see anyone throwing to any of the backs. I left at 11:00 so I don' t know what happened between 11:00 -12:30.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 20, 2016, 05:33:25 PM »
Thanks for the updates guys. Hopefully, the offense gets into a groove and is ready to go for the start of the season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »
Out of the three QBs I saw, Hosick look very good running and passing the team right down the field. His 2nd time he fumbled and looked poor. Ricky did a couple nice runs and had a couple 6-10 yd passes; but he was unable to sustain a solid drive. Wells struggled, he threw a pass at the WR feet and then over the WR's head. He did throw one right on the numbers and the WR dropped it.

Interesting as its been said that Trent is all legs and no arm.  Seems like Trent is picking up the offense and deserves another chance with the 1s, especially since #12 and #6 are struggling.  #6 also was picked off.  I suspect #6 may even struggle with the 2s.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
Numbers from today's game like scrimmage - Hunter Wells 9-14 for 70 yards one dropped ball and one bobbled pass that was intecepted. Ricky Davis 4-9 for 22 yards. Trent Hosick 4-6 for 70 yards with the second units. Pretty good accuracy for Wells against a very good defense. Seeing that he put up 14 passes today he's probably your quarterback, then again I could be wrong

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2016, 01:03:21 AM »
11 days!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2016, 06:33:28 AM »
Interesting read by Charles on Hosick in today's Vindy. It's great to see Trent picking up the Offense and doing great with the 2's. However, the difference between the 1's and 2's is like the difference between night and day. The reason Trent was with the 2's all day yesterday is because he could do nothing against the 1's the week before. The #1 defense knows just about every play the offense is going to run and have worked against Ricky and Hunter for how many years now? It's unrealistic to expect this offense to drive up and down the field with ease against one of the best defenses in the conference if not the entire land. The good thing here guys is our receivers are running better routes and finally starting to catch the ball that is key for this offense
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:01:48 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2016, 09:43:04 AM »
I'm not saying Hosick should be the starter, but even BP acknowledges the #1 QBs are not performing well.  Trent is learning the system, assimilating into a new team, and now appears to have caught fire.  He has grown rapidly as a player since playing with the 1s a few weeks ago.  Trent deserves another shot is all I'm saying.  What he does with it is up to him.  I watched his JUCO tapes.  The dude is electricity on the field and makes stuff happen. During the scrimmage yesterday, simply touching a ball carrier ends the play, which makes any #s the mobile QBs produce (like Trent) even more impressive.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/21/college-football-offense-sputters-in-scr/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:51:34 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »
This will be a big week coming up for all 3 of them. My issue is still the WR's. Who's going to step up and be able to make some plays. A lot of kids vying for a spot...

On a recruiting note: Eric Bentley, a 2017 DL from Akron SVSM just committed to us. 6-3, 260 lbs. Nice get for Bo.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »
To put things in context, stats from the scrimmage the week before:

"In the scrimmage portion of the workout (no red zone stats included), Davis was 3-of-4 for 80 yards and a touchdown, Wells was 4-of-10 for 46 yards while Mays was 4-of-8 for 48 yards and a score"

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/scrimmage-recap-august13

Not sure why Trent's #s are not included, but the article suggests he, like Davis, had a good day.  Wells only QB without a score and also with the least yardage and lowest completion %.

In other news, Jerry Slocum is still the MBB HC.  I'm sure this year will be different.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
To put things in context, stats from the scrimmage the week before:

"In the scrimmage portion of the workout (no red zone stats included), Davis was 3-of-4 for 80 yards and a touchdown, Wells was 4-of-10 for 46 yards while Mays was 4-of-8 for 48 yards and a score"

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/scrimmage-recap-august13

Not sure why Trent's #s are not included, but the article suggests he, like Davis, had a good day. Wells only QB without a score and also with the least yardage and lowest completion %.

In other news, Jerry Slocum is still the MBB HC.  I'm sure this year will be different.
I'm not sure why they weren't either but I was there for the scrimmage and he didn't have a good day. Trent was 1 of 6 passing and had a long TD run that would have been a sack if the QB's had been live. I'm not saying he can't play, just telling you what i saw that day.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2016, 12:29:42 AM »
10 days! Will officially be in single digits tomorrow  ;D fb