Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186782 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #240 on: August 17, 2016, 11:33:10 PM »
I agree with Penguinpower and YSUGO.  It is insane to try to run a spread offense when you lack a stable of reliable receivers.  What we have is the ingredients for an effective power running game (veteran backs, big linemen, capable tight ends.)  We could still throw about 20 times per game just as we did during the 1990s.  But we would be doing that on our terms.

Apparently, we run that spread because Wolford wanted it and because "everybody is doing it."  We should have a championship caliber defense.  It would be a crime to squander it by forcing our offensive personnel to run a scheme for which they are unequipped.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2016, 12:29:49 AM »
14 days!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »
Definitely some class comments by our quarterbacks in the article. I think they are handling it quite well and are putting the team first and that's the way it should be, but it can't be easy for them. I think we will be able to complete the underneath routes to our TE's and hit Ruiz and Webb out of the backfield with whoever the QB might be. WE STILL NEED TO THROW DOWNFIELD OR WE WILL BE IN TROUBLE..Wells is still our best option for that. With close to 500 attempts compared to Ricky's 18 he has seen just about everything defense's will show him..The majority of Ricky's attempts have either been swing passes or dump passes in garbage time that concerns me..GO GUINS!!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2016, 11:53:14 AM »
The QB situation does not look good.  Wells is gun shy & when the bullets start flying will throw into coverage, force throws & not run when the opportunity is there.  He hurt us bad in the IS game with his dive on the 2 yard line & not running to sustain drives against NDSU when they left big lanes open because they knew he wouldn't run.  Davis has had decision issues hopefully he has matured.  And finally I can't believe that the coaches would bring in a transfer that is going to be 3rd string behind these guys.  Nice scouting & waste of a scholarship if this is how it works out.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
Dwj, even if hosick is 3rd string, he did something for the team (caused competition and improvement in the other qbs)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
The QB situation does not look good.  Wells is gun shy & when the bullets start flying will throw into coverage, force throws & not run when the opportunity is there.  He hurt us bad in the IS game with his dive on the 2 yard line & not running to sustain drives against NDSU when they left big lanes open because they knew he wouldn't run.  Davis has had decision issues hopefully he has matured.  And finally I can't believe that the coaches would bring in a transfer that is going to be 3rd string behind these guys.  Nice scouting & waste of a scholarship if this is how it works out.

^^^This.

In a sane world, the QB competition would be between Hosick and Davis, and maybe even also Mays.

Not willing to sacrifice a hit in exchange for a TD?  C'mon man.  It was time then for a QB with a full pair.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
I agree with Penguinpower and YSUGO.  It is insane to try to run a spread offense when you lack a stable of reliable receivers.  What we have is the ingredients for an effective power running game (veteran backs, big linemen, capable tight ends.)  We could still throw about 20 times per game just as we did during the 1990s.  But we would be doing that on our terms.

Apparently, we run that spread because Wolford wanted it and because "everybody is doing it."  We should have a championship caliber defense.  It would be a crime to squander it by forcing our offensive personnel to run a scheme for which they are unequipped.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A CRIME!  Get a good FB transfer.  2 of them.

We have a stable of TE's and need to throw to them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:58:42 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2016, 07:37:53 PM »
Nation ... that type of QB is not realistic. Look at ILS and UNI, both brought in FBS backups to cover for their damaged QBs. You remember when we saw the backup against ILS for one set of downs, became happy, then the started came in and ran 80+ yards for a TD against us. Had we played them one of the 4-prvious week, we get the backup and a "W".

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2016, 07:17:47 AM »
If Trent picked Charleston Southern over YSU he would be the starting quarterback to open up against the Bison in Fargo and be playing for one of the best teams in the big south. He just needs to keep his head up and keep working. I do feel Monty has a plan for him in a limited role this season. Trent was the only Juco quarterback offered by YSU. I also think we could have done a better job after looking at some of the quarterbacks that came off the board the first week of signing day..missed opportunities, but I still feel this is not a wasted scholarship

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2016, 08:17:38 AM »
If Trent picked Charleston Southern over YSU he would be the starting quarterback to open up against the Bison in Fargo and be playing for one of the best teams in the big south. He just needs to keep his head up and keep working. I do feel Monty has a plan for him in a limited role this season. Trent was the only Juco quarterback offered by YSU. I also think we could have done a better job after looking at some of the quarterbacks that came off the board the first week of signing day..missed opportunities, but I still feel this is not a wasted scholarship

Agreed, this is not a wasted scholarship. A few years ago, we had the 1st and 2nd string qb got knocked out in the same game. The 3rd qb came in was a Freshman, without any playing experience .
If Wells started the season and got hurt, income Davis. Being a running qb, he could get knocked out. Hosick could come in with lots of playing experience.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2016, 08:34:40 AM »
Why did the QB's get knocked out of the games?

We run a stupid spread.  Against good defenses you are screwed

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »

Good points accept you assume Monty wanted another QB. I strongly suggest that is not the case. Have you seen Mays? He is further ahead of Wells.when we started Wells. Yes, coach M may have had a major role is which QB was recruited, but I do not think he initiated things.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2016, 09:24:53 AM »
Fan, This is not the case and I even stated that over the winter. I know the last thing Monty wanted to do was jump on a plane and go west and bring in another qb because I know what Mays is about plus he is mobile . Bo has a love affair with running quarterbacks and has had one his entire coaching career. It's the Bo show around here and Bo was familiar with Trent from his time at Nebraska and didn't even really look at anyone else . Bo will expect Trent to see the field..What's shane going to say No coach!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Fan, This is not the case and I even stated that over the winter. I know the last thing Monty wanted to do was jump on a plane and go west and bring in another qb because I know what Mays is about plus he is mobile . Bo has a love affair with running quarterbacks and has had one his entire coaching career. It's the Bo show around here and Bo was familiar with Trent from his time at Nebraska and didn't even really look at anyone else . Bo will expect Trent to see the field..What's shane going to say No coach!!

Good post Fever. I understand what you are saying. Factor in that coach M likes to break things up with some option (even if it is simple pitch and run) ...perhaps Hosick is the best at this.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:51:24 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2016, 12:49:32 PM »

Good post Fever. I understand what you are saying. Factor in that coach M likes to break things up with some option (even if it is simple pitch and run) ...perhaps Hosick is the best at this.
I was just wondering, have you guys seen Trent play at all?