Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186773 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2016, 12:18:04 PM »
Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  26m26 minutes ago

Fight breaks out after a large fight between offense and defense and Bo makes the team run sprints. #YSU @vindicator

Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  22m22 minutes ago

Isiah Scott, who was a large part of the skirmish, just got tongue lashing from Wells screaming at him to run his route #YSU @vindicator

Large fight? This does not seem good for team cohesion.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
I agree.  I don't want to see a 2 QB system.  No need for it if your starter has a complete skill set including mobility and escapability.

Why do people (coaches for example) do the same thing expecting different results?
I had hoped Hosick was the happy middle, but seems like we have one QB who is an OK runner, but can't throw and one OK thrower that can't run.  Given the choice, you HAVE to throw the ball in today's spread offense world. Sorry Ricky

I completely disagree. Look at some of these teams with spread systems who are successful. You have to be able to use your legs now a days as a QB. It's such a weapon. Especially in the college game. Ricky can throw just as well as Hunter can when given the opportunity.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »
This tells a lot....

Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  16m16 minutes ago

Davis has gotten all his snaps with 1st team, Wells has either been with 1st or 1st skills guys and 2nd o line. #YSU @vindicator

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2016, 12:21:03 PM »
Interesting tweets from Saturday:

Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  Aug 13
Davis takes 1st team offense down field and hits Patterson from about 35 yards for a TD. Best drive of the day by far. #YSU @vindicator

Wells takes a sack on 3rd and very long. Offense hasn't done much with him at the helm today. #YSU @vindicator

Hunter Wells throws high on 3rd and 8 and it's another 3 and out. Offense getting frustrated. #YSU @vindicator
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »
For now, with everything I've heard and seen.

1A: Davis
1B: Wells
2. Hosick
3. Mays

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
Bo reporting to Charles Grove No Decision will be made untill possibly the 1st game. Bo probably wants to see if the receivers can improve. It's really hard to say how Montgomery will open any game from week to week. Trent looks to be a non-factor when just about everyone thought he was brought in to replace Wells
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:10:56 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2016, 01:20:21 PM »
WR's look to be a big issue. Can't throw the ball if nobody can get open. Hence why Ricky is the best option because of his running ability.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
I do think the coaches got what they wanted out of this competition so far. When Ricky's in this year teams will play him completely different and he will be forced to throw the ball, Unlike last year when they stacked the box and dared him to throw
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:32:51 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2016, 04:00:41 PM »
I agree.  I don't want to see a 2 QB system.  No need for it if your starter has a complete skill set including mobility and escapability.

Why do people (coaches for example) do the same thing expecting different results?
I had hoped Hosick was the happy middle, but seems like we have one QB who is an OK runner, but can't throw and one OK thrower that can't run.  Given the choice, you HAVE to throw the ball in today's spread offense world. Sorry Ricky

I completely disagree. Look at some of these teams with spread systems who are successful. You have to be able to use your legs now a days as a QB. It's such a weapon. Especially in the college game. Ricky can throw just as well as Hunter can when given the opportunity.
"You have to use your legs" Yeah, like the 3 best QB's in the last decade, Brady, Manning and Rodgers? 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because the key to the spread it throwing far more than QB running. Even Mariota at Oregon threw far more than he ran.  But that wasn't my point.  My point is AGAINST the spread, you need to score a ton and you can't score a ton with 2 180-190 tailbacks and no fullback and a mediocre running QB that can’t throw.  We MUST throw to win and while anybody can type "Ricky can throw as well as Hunter", it doesn't mean a damn thing because he can't.  Why do you think the coaches gave the job to Wells?  To sabotage the team and keep the superior player Davis on the bench?  Obviously they gave the job to Hunter because he was superior to the ok running poor passing of Davis.  Good grief man, he completes 44% of he passes.  Wells, at 54% is 10% lower than needed.  Where to you think Davis gets the 20% improvement?  And remember, watch the games, Davis is NOT a great runner either!  He is better than Wells, but NOT great.
I hope you are right, but there is certainly NO evidence to support your position. 

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 17, 2016, 04:14:20 PM »
Lol, now you are talking about NFL QB's. I said especially in the college game. Look at Boykin at TCU, Greg Ward at Houston, Deshaun Watson at Clemson, heck even JT Barrett down in Columbus. All able to use their legs and those are some of the top teams in the nation. Mariota ran for 770 yards and 15 TD's his last year at Oregon so what as your point ?.. The numbers are skewed on Davis and Wells because the joke of an OC that we have ONLY brought in Davis to run the ball last year. Literally defenses would scream "RUN" because they knew Davis was only brought in to run the ball. In a perfect world, with the Dallas Cowboys O-Line and Dez Bryant out there catching footballs, yes Wells would be the ideal QB. That is not  the case with us. Mediocre O-Line and WR's who can't get open easily. Davis gives this team the best chance to win.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »
How about ditch the stupid spread and run a pro style offense with a full back and a tailback and smash the little LB's on the other teams.  How about throwing to the TE's?  That allows poor receivers to look better than they are, limits the number of touches they get a d takes away the importance of having high skill in that area. 

I hate the stupid spread.  We wont win sh** until we go back to what won us our NC's and what is winning NDSU NC's and that is pro style with the ability to flex into west coast when needed.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2016, 07:24:22 PM »
How about ditch the stupid spread and run a pro style offense with a full back and a tailback and smash the little LB's on the other teams.  How about throwing to the TE's?  That allows poor receivers to look better than they are, limits the number of touches they get a d takes away the importance of having high skill in that area. 

I hate the stupid spread.  We wont win sh** until we go back to what won us our NC's and what is winning NDSU NC's and that is pro style with the ability to flex into west coast when needed.

That will never happen until ole Monty and his "sophisticated" system goes bye bye.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:18:17 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2016, 08:39:09 PM »
Nice to hear that Damoun Patterson was running good routes today and catching long balls downfield for the offense. It would be great to have a legitimate deep threat
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:45:54 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 17, 2016, 09:09:42 PM »
I tried to stay out of the QB debate.  A couple of thoughts, I have to believe that Coach P will make sure that the guy that can give us the best chance to win will be QB1. Penguin power hit the nail on the head.  Bring back a power offense and pound it and use a play action based passing game and if needed a spread or west coast based package .  I don't think we have been blessed with much at WR for many years  Wells got hurt when Adams Graduated.  He was our best weapon in the red zone his Senior year.  . Davis if he is named starter won't get through the year without getting banged up or injured.  Our league is too physical and we need 2 good QBs .  I put a lot of the blame on Monty we have had some poor game plans and gave become too predictable especially with a lead going into the second half.  Last year with all the injuries and poor WR play Davis wouldn't have got us to the playoffs either.  It's fairly obvious with the influx of new WRs that the coaching staff realized that was a big issue.  They could have run off most of the QB's too but they just brought the transfer in.  My gut tells me they will give Davis the nod at first but when we hit games that matter we will have 9 guys or more in the box and dare us to throw.  They have enough film on him to know his skill set .  This kind of reminds me of the Colby Street era and whe know how that ended up.  Go YSU!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »
For now, with everything I've heard and seen.

1A: Davis
1B: Wells
2. Hosick
3. Mays

This was just reported from Vindy:

Penguins appear to be down to two quarterbacks

Published: 8/17/16 @ 09:01

It appears as if the search for a starting quarterback for the Youngstown State football team has been unofficially narrowed from four candidates to two.

Ricky Davis and Hunter Wells were the only two quarterbacks to get reps with the first string on Wednesday while Trent Hosick played exclusively with the second string and Nathan Mays saw no snaps.

“I think we kind of know who’s the top two and who’s the bottom two,” Davis said. “But we’re just worried about ourselves. If you worry about the next guy you’re just going to be as good as him.”