Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186749 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »
I don’t doubt Ricky Davis has improved, but he was a strong armed guy with terrible accuracy last year

Time to say goodnight to that myth.  :)

Behold the 2015 MVFC passing efficiency ratings:

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ind-all.pdf

PASS EFFICIENCY Cl G Comp-Att-Int Yds TD Eff.

6. Davis, Ricky-YSU So 9 8-18-0 142 1 129.0

8. Wells, Hunter-YSU So 11 159-291-7 1975 13 121.6

Passing efficiency does not subdivide INTs into pick 6's and non-pick 6s.  If it did, Well's passing efficiency would be much worse.
So I said Davis has a strong arm but terrible accuracy, and you quote last season's stat:
Davis 44% completion rate
Wells 54% completion rate
Now don't get me wrong, 54% is not good enough for Wells, but 44% is a joke.  This is compounded by Ricky's own words, when he was in the game, it was going to be a run.  Should have been easy to complete at least a few passes.  You guys should fork over the money, buy tickets and go watch some of these games.  I also point out the fact that Davis was a better runner than Wells, (maybe I am too!) but he is NOT a dramatic playmaker with his legs either.  He is at best 3 string, maybe 4th.  Everybody likes the backup.  By mid season, we won't hear Davis at all, you will all be saying "if only they would play Hosick."   I do expect Hunter to lead us to the playoffs this season.  We'll see, but your "all in with Ricky" has no factual basis for support

Why look only at completions? That's only one measure of a QB. Don't yardage, TD's, and interceptions also matter, maybe even moreso?  The passing efficiency rating factors in all of those things.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2016, 09:23:56 PM »
Guys, sorry this update is late but 16 days.

Also, I Think wells will look much better this year if the o-line is better. I'm optimistic about the offense this year.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »
That being said though, if the coaches don't pick wells to be the starter, then so be it.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »
Yes, it would be interesting to see who is getting the majority of snaps in practice. Before camp started Shane Montgomery said all 4 quarterbacks would be getting the same amount of snaps for a certain time frame and after that they would move into the next phase. That next phase included increased snaps for the starter..They are past that time frame and know who it is going to be

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
Kind of strange not getting any kind of progress reports from the coaches this far into camp. That could be a very smart thing on their part. Last year I could remember Bo, Carl, and Shane talking about the team and player personnel on a regular basis..I think we need a drone over top of the stadium..lol

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2016, 10:05:31 AM »
Look last year is last year. The fact that Davis runs all the time in '15, makes his completion percentage artificially higher and his attempts artifically-lower.

You have to have some trust in your coaches. Back in the 90's I was upset at the choice of Brungard, but he was able win titles for us. I was upset at the choice of Tidwell over Zwick, but he turned out to be a great QB for us, with a title as well. Yet Tressel, did nothing with Tidwell, even the spring before Zwick left, Tressel was not even working with Demond Tidwell. Later, Tressel said he will never make that mistake again. All QB's get the workouts.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »
I don’t doubt Ricky Davis has improved, but he was a strong armed guy with terrible accuracy last year

Passing efficiency does not subdivide INTs into pick 6's and non-pick 6s.  If it did, Well's passing efficiency would be much worse.
So I said Davis has a strong arm but terrible accuracy, and you quote last season's stat:
Now don't get me wrong, 54% is not good enough for Wells, but 44% is a joke.  This is compounded by Ricky's own words, when he was in the game, it was going to be a run.  Should have been easy to complete at least a few passes.  You guys should fork over the money, buy tickets and go watch some of these games.  I also point out the fact that Davis was a better runner than Wells, (maybe I am too!) but he is NOT a dramatic playmaker with his legs either.  He is at best 3 string, maybe 4th.  Everybody likes the backup.  By mid season, we won't hear Davis at all, you will all be saying "if only they would play Hosick."   I do expect Hunter to lead us to the playoffs this season.  We'll see, but your "all in with Ricky" has no factual basis for support

Why look only at completions? That's only one measure of a QB. Don't yardage, TD's, and interceptions also matter, maybe even moreso?  The passing efficiency rating factors in all of those things.
YOU'RE the one that quoted the stats, now you don't want me to point out obvious?  Yes, there are other things than completion percentage, but it's still the very best way to measure accuracy and Ricky doesn't have it.  I'm not pro-Hunter or anti-Ricky, but all this "we want Ricky" retoric on this blog is 100% emotion and has nothing to do with fooball ability. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2016, 11:15:52 AM »
15 days!

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »

YOU'RE the one that quoted the stats, now you don't want me to point out obvious?  Yes, there are other things than completion percentage, but it's still the very best way to measure accuracy and Ricky doesn't have it.  I'm not pro-Hunter or anti-Ricky, but all this "we want Ricky" retoric on this blog is 100% emotion and has nothing to do with fooball ability.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but it doesn't seem as though the coaches agree...

Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  · 42m42 minutes ago 

Davis ended up getting 8 snaps with the first team opposed to Hunter's 6. Hosick got 7 snaps with 2nd team. #YSU @vindicator

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
Wow!! I just checked charles Twitter..what in the Hell is going on in practice?? I really like Ricky and Hunter Both..I figured they would be 1 and 2..Doesn't really matter who starts..2 system is in place

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »
Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  26m26 minutes ago

Fight breaks out after a large fight between offense and defense and Bo makes the team run sprints. #YSU @vindicator

Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  22m22 minutes ago

Isiah Scott, who was a large part of the skirmish, just got tongue lashing from Wells screaming at him to run his route #YSU @vindicator

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
Let's just hope they're still trying to figure out who the starting QB is and not really running a 2 QB system. God help us all if that's the case.....

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2016, 12:08:12 PM »
Chief, Wells has pretty much been the No huddle Qb the entire camp. Don't like this anymore then you do, But good for Wells getting on his receiver. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be  for our Qb's at times

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »
I agree.  I don't want to see a 2 QB system.  No need for it if your starter has a complete skill set including mobility and escapability.

Why do people (coaches for example) do the same thing expecting different results?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »
I agree.  I don't want to see a 2 QB system.  No need for it if your starter has a complete skill set including mobility and escapability.

Why do people (coaches for example) do the same thing expecting different results?
I had hoped Hosick was the happy middle, but seems like we have one QB who is an OK runner, but can't throw and one OK thrower that can't run.  Given the choice, you HAVE to throw the ball in today's spread offense world. Sorry Ricky
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!