Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186344 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2016, 02:12:07 AM »
19 days

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2016, 06:31:48 AM »
Thanks for clarifying Ed.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2016, 07:45:35 AM »
Yes thanks Ed for the fine job you and your co-workers do. Sorry if I offended anyone in anyway. It just would be nice to get a little more feedback from the coaches, but I completely understand its their choice. Hopefully a good report will be coming from today's scrimmage ☺
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:50:44 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
Thanks Ed:

One thing that you could pass along (this leads to confusion for me as well); Since I do not live in Ytown, I really only have interest in YSU. So, I basically click on the menu, then sports, then YSU sports. If you do that only 2 of these stories that you listed is there. Well with today's story that makes 3. So you can easily see how people may not think there are many YSU sports stories. It could just be the way the story is tagged; but you may want to tell your site admin.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:12:42 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »
Ed:
Thanks, for the YSU football articles! I am another former YSU alum who lives 550 miles away. Getting updates on YSU football practices are a big plus.

Again thanks for helping us out!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2016, 12:13:56 PM »
Scrimmage thoughts:

Offense has a long way to go: QB's can't get on the same page with WR's who can't get open.

O-Line looks improved but still some pass blocking issues.

Davis and Hosick are my leaders so far. Can make plays with legs while still making good throws.

Wells looks the worst out of the group, including Mays. Poor throws, can't move the offense, not mobile.

Defense looks really solid. First team especially. Going to need to rely on that group this year.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2016, 12:26:14 PM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/13/ysu-qbs-penguin-receivers-catching-on-la/

"Hosick got the offense a first down but sputtered at midfield and Davis ran for a first down himself on a fourth-and-15 before his drive fizzled out.

“It’s more fun [in those live situations] but I wish we could’ve gone totally live with the quarterbacks,” Hosick said. “That’s where a guy like me or Ricky can separate ourselves by making plays when things break down.

“We would’ve liked to have gotten a couple of those two-minute drills but if we would’ve been able to go live things would’ve been different — I promise that.”"

Interesting quote. I think Hosick is saying what is obvious to everybody except the OC and a few others.  We have talent at the QB position, but will we use it?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
Just got back myself. Here are some thoughts:

Today's scrimmage only QB ranking:

1. Mays
2. Davis
3. Wells
4. Hosick

Hosick is low because he did not do much outside of his run & he had the #1 offense twice. Scored his TD on and against #2. That being said he truly out-ran 2 corners.

Mays drove for a TD against the #1 D with the #2 O, however, he had #1 TE and TB. Threw into double coverage. Mays is going the start for YSU at some point, but there is too much pressure on Pelini and Montgomery to give him the ball in 2016.

Defense is more aggressive than I saw from them last year.

Sandige has very good hands with 3 catches. Seems to be a favorite for Wells. He is not as strong on the ground.

#30 Alessi is very pleasant surprise & McNutt looks like an FB.

Dortch is going to be very good & seems to be getting some very good coaching. He was giving too much room. Then two coaches worked with him on staying mobile so as not to set up a lane for the back & he came in tight, crossed his arms and hit with his body the rest of the sets.

Not enough line drills, but we definitely have more depth this year. How good it is we will not know until September.

McFadden is using a shoe, even on close kicks, but clearly much improved. He kicks straight on and has almost no arc. Feeling very happy about kicking. I have yet to see much in the way of kickoff this summer.

To his credit Wells is running on almost every play after hand-off. Looks more like he did two years ago. However, we gave him a great deal of "slack" because he was a true frosh. We cannot give him the slack this year ...at least not after week-3. If a couple of receivers step-up ...Wells will be #1.

Well I think that we are ether much better than #5 or 6 in the conference or we are #9, but I expected to be further ahead on August 13. GO GUINS!!!

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2016, 05:13:37 PM »
Yes thanks Ed for the fine job you and your co-workers do. Sorry if I offended anyone in anyway. It just would be nice to get a little more feedback from the coaches, but I completely understand its their choice. Hopefully a good report will be coming from today's scrimmage ☺
Thanks. No offense taken. Yours was not the post that bothered me.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2016, 05:16:19 PM »
Thanks Ed:

One thing that you could pass along (this leads to confusion for me as well); Since I do not live in Ytown, I really only have interest in YSU. So, I basically click on the menu, then sports, then YSU sports. If you do that only 2 of these stories that you listed is there. Well with today's story that makes 3. So you can easily see how people may not think there are many YSU sports stories. It could just be the way the story is tagged; but you may want to tell your site admin.

You are correct. I saw this last night when I went to find those links. It is a tagging thing. If a certain box is not checked, the story won't be under the YSU tab, although it will be online. Just more difficult to find. I'm working to fix that so that all future stories will be in a centralized location.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »
Thanks for that info Fan. I really like Mays alot , but just can't see him becoming a starter untill his junior season even tho he will be ready before then. A few questions I have for you, did we throw to our tight ends today? How many passing attempts did Hosick have? Who dropped the Wells TD pass in the endzone? Seeing that Wells had 10 attempts today tells me alot. I think the pieces are being put into place for a 2 system quarterback this season

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2016, 08:44:12 PM »
I think Davis will be the starter week 1

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2016, 08:54:29 PM »
You know I am not sure Fever, probably McCaster or Patterson if it was a receiver. I do not remember it, but I have some pics, I will check it out. Almost nothing to TE's. I was talking with a couple of the admin about that very thing. Kind of typical Monty, bring around a WR. I donlt remember anything to Shane or Jacob; clearly we have solid skill there. There was a very nice fake though, that play is what broke Hosick for the TD. They ran it a couple of times and it worked both of them. Don't read too much into Wells, throwing, but you could be right on the money with the 2 QBs. Wells was all arm and Hosick was almost all legs. Davis and Mays were balanced.

Mays only had 2 series out of the 10. My fear is always losing him. He really has something to give, but I cannot tell if he has more passing skills than pattern passes. On ground work, Mays lacks some of the ball finesse of Wells; he is still very deliberate, but I think that is lack of experience. However he does move the offense and knows when to pull the back out of the TB's hands ...as does Hosick.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2016, 11:24:28 PM »
I think Davis will be the starter week 1
After the offense struggled early, Shane brought all the QB's together on the sideline while the KO team was on the field, and I heard a large group of players on the sidelines say "we need to give this thing to Ricky and go". Ricky didn't hear them but he went out next series and drove the team down for the TD. Below are the tweets and thoughts of all the QB's from the Vindy reporter on the sideline Charles Grove...

At #YSU's scrimmage, Hunter Wells' first drive ends in a punt after getting just past midfield. @YSUsports @vindicator
Trent Hosick's drive ends in 3 and out while Ricky Davis gets a 1st with his feet before his drive fizzles. #YSU @vindicator
Hunter Wells throws high on 3rd and 8 and it's another 3 and out. Offense getting frustrated. #YSU @vindicator
Mays at QB does no better. He gets sacked on 3rd and long. Offense looks confused. #YSU @vindicator
#YSU offense got a few 1sts with Davis. One on a nice pass to Townsend. @vindicator
Mays gets a TD after a long drive that Pelini kept moving forward after a couple of penalties. Raised offenses spirits at least. @vindicator
Hosick just took an option keeper up the middle virtually untouched for a 75 yard TD. @vindicator #YSU
Hosick less effective his next drive. Him and Scott weren't on the same page on 3rd down and drive sputters out. #YSU @vindicator
Wells takes a sack on 3rd and very long. Offense hasn't done much with him at the helm today. #YSU @vindicator
#YSU now working on special teams, punt and kickoff returns. @vindicator
Davis takes 1st team offense down field and hits Patterson from about 35 yards for a TD. Best drive of the day by far. #YSU @vindicator
Tevin McCaster was the tailback the entire drive and had a nice catch in the flat where he broke 2 defenders as well. #YSU @vindicator
Wells leads 1st team offense into the redzone against 2nd defense but drive stalls and #YSU takes a FG. @vindicator
Tevin McCaster looked outstanding today. He's 3rd on running back depth chart. Plenty of depth for #YSU @vindicator @YSUsports

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »
I must be getting McCaster and Alessi confused, but I saw #30 ...not 37.