Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186726 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »
FYI, realized my last post may have sounded sarcastic. It was genuine as I do not get print Vindy copies. 22 days

From today's Vindy:

Montgomery’s

crew improving

By Charles Grove

cgrove@vindy.com

youngstown

As the Youngstown State offense gets more and more of the playbook implemented, you could be reminded of the saying, “Slow and steady wins the race.”

The offense is beginning to hold its own a bit more each time they go up against the talented YSU defense as roster positions continue to be evaluated.

“This is my fourth college now and I’ve never been a part of a team where the defense didn’t win early on in camp,” YSU quarterback Trent Hosick said. “That’s just kind of how it goes.”

While the YSU passing attack is still leaving something to be desired, the rushing attack was able to do some damage against what, on paper at least, should be one of the top defenses in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Draw plays and dives with pulling linemen were noticeably more effective than they were the first few practices.

“Our running game has been nice,” Hosick said. “We’ve improved from the spring. A lot of that has to do with the offensive line. We got some big first downs in our third-down drill today and we won that the other day. Any day we come out and beat this defense, we’re doing something right.”

The rushing attack does have the experience when compared to the wide receivers. Martin Ruiz and Jody Webb will be one and two as far as running backs go, but things are still very much up in the air as far as the receivers are concerned.

“We’ve got guys within the [first string], especially at receiver, that haven’t played a lot of football,” YSU offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery said. “They’re still learning the offense. I think their effort is really good, but it’s all about consistency.”

The young receivers are also still catching passes from all four quarterbacks at about the same rate. It doesn’t appear any quarterback is getting significantly more reps than any of the others vying for the starting job.

“This is my 26th year coaching and this is probably the most quarterbacks I’ve been trying to get an equal number of reps,” Montgomery said. “Traditionally you have one or two that get the majority of the reps and the third and fourth guys don’t get as many. But we have a lot of guys that we feel are capable of playing so we’re trying to get them as equal reps as possible.”

The idea that the offense is beginning to move the ball more consistently despite only having a portion of the playbook installed could be a sign of good things to come. Montgomery believes the real growth of the team will occur more as players more fully understand the playbook.

“I think we’re physically talented enough that if we put ourselves in position to make a play we’ll be able to do it,” Montgomery said. “Just the mental part of the game has to keep coming through each day.”

As far as depth is concerned, things appear in good shape with the running backs and offensive linemen.

“We’re trying to figure out who’s going to be three, four and five on the depth chart at running back,” Montgomery said. “Most teams don’t have a lot of people that deep but we’ve got some guys we think can help us there.

“Coach [Carmen] Bricillo and I have been here seven years and we think this offensive line is probably as good and deep as we’ve ever had. We can probably go to seven, eight and nine where we haven’t in the past. We’re going to lean on those guys. We’ve been able to run the ball a lot in years past and we’ve got to continue to do that. It’ll take a lot of the pressure off of the passing game.”

Other stories of interest
U.S. swimmers Phelps, Ledecky add to gold collection
- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/10/college-football-ysus-offense-makes-soli/?newswatch#sthash.m5Veixtv.dpuf

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2016, 09:57:45 AM »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
Funny to listen to Montgomery about how deep and talented the O-Line is... When just last year, they couldn't hold a block to save their lives and were so depleted, even in the spring. I have a feeling the passing game is going to be a big issue, regardless of who the QB is.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »
Seriously?

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

About as expected in terms of balance. Remember coach chose from their own conference. A few that stick out for me:

SHS a bit overrated.
Portland State and Montana both overrated.
Colgate underrated
Eastern Washington and Northern AZ both overrated, but NAU is going to be interesting this year.
Fordham underrated
N Dakota overrated.
Nova is really overrated, but will not be by season's end. Could be the best team in the CAA this year.
WIU and YSU are interchangeable, but WIU has proven they can make the dance so they deserve it more.
I think Penn and Harvard should be switched.
Duquesne and Monmouth should be switched, while UD should be higher than both of them. RMU is better than both of them and not even rated.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:10:08 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »
Seriously?

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

About as expected in terms of balance. Remember coach chose from their own conference. A few that stick out for me:

SHS a bit overrated.
Portland State and Montana both overrated.
Colgate underrated
Eastern Washington and Northern AZ both overrated, but NAU is going to be interesting this year.
Fordham underrated
N Dakota overrated.
Nova is really overrated, but will not be by season's end. Could be the best team in the CAA this year.
WIU and YSU are interchangeable, but WIU has proven they can make the dance so they deserve it more.
I think Penn and Harvard should be switched.
Duquesne and Monmouth should be switched, while US should be higher than both of them. RMU is better than both of them and not even rated.

I'd have more than 5 MVFC teams in there, including YSU.  The Patriot is weak and should not have two teams in.  Colgate I could sorta see barely making it as they beat two CAA teams before getting blasted by SHSU (who themselves were blasted in the next round). Fordham got destroyed in the first round last year, and the year before slammed by UNH after getting a cupcake first round against Sacred Heart.  Once these girls play OOC they get pummeled, and yet they are always ranked high.  Harvard, who knows because they never expose themselves to legit OOC games.  They're playing Georgetown this year, for example.

There are 5-6 teams in the Coaches top 25 I would expect YSU to win convincingly.  These polls are for amusement only but I'd expect a little more from Coaches than sports writers.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
Preseason poll doesn't matter though gentlemen. Just the end of season poll  ;D. Besides, let us fly under the radar.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2016, 08:31:24 AM »
3 weeks! 21 days

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »
Hey guys just wanted to let you know the roster looks updated and complete they just have to update the photos. The one thing that stood out to me is McNutt is listed as a tailback instead of a backer and is listed at 230. As far as receivers go we're just going to have to see how it works out. We just need the transfers and younger guys to step up. When your leading receivers return with 20 and 10 catches between them it's a cause for concern. We just might need to go with a mobile quarterback if the young group of receivers are not ready. The good news is we have a good group of pass catching tight ends and Ruiz and Webb have very good hands out of the backfield. Ruiz added about 10 pounds since last year and is listed at 205

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:28 AM »
20 days

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »
Sideline reporter for the vindy reporting tons of dropped passes today right through the receiver's hands. A little better in the second half of practice with Alvin Bailey standing out the most. Ricky Davis has a ankle injury of some kind and is wearing a brace. There are also Scouts from Kansas City there to get a good look at some of our players

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »
Bailey is going to be huge for us.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2016, 09:27:46 PM »
Not even 1 article written about practice so far in the vindy.... Shame.
Are you kidding?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2016, 09:43:41 PM »
Usually Vindy has articles posted online but recently very few.  I won't subscribe because I live in 875 miles south of Youngstown and have little use for the news paper as it really has nothing in it that pertains to me.  Now I would pay for access to the YSU sports section, but when I lived in Youngstown, it was usually full of bullsh** HS football with one to 3 articles per week dedicated to the Penguins football team.  I don't want to pay for stupid HS coverage, and I have a good enough eye to fully understand what is happening in the games.  I have access to YouTube and the mvfc conference calls to get all the information I need.  But it would be nice if the the articles were posted online.  I just checked to see what everyone was talking about and the last article was posted on August 10th. Every other college town newspaper has more free coverage than that.  Are things that bad over at Vindy or have all of the uneducated Uncle Rico's taken over your market?  I know there are a lot of them, because they used to dedicate about 10 min on Sports Talk (or whatever its called on 570) to YSU around noon on Sundays.  It is really symbolic to me and fits so well to the mentality that needs to change in order for the area to get back to being an economic powerhouse again.

In case you don't know who Uncle Rico is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xL-VX3WbA9U

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVt6uvHI134
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:18:21 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2016, 10:25:13 PM »
The best use of the Vindy is to train your dog to take a proper deuce.  Luckily Chompers will be fully trained when print media is dead in a few years.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2016, 01:40:50 AM »
Guys, here are some of the YSU football camp stories that haven't been written.

8-13: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/13/ysu-qbs-penguin-receivers-catching-on-la/?newswatch

8-10: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/10/college-football-ysus-offense-makes-soli/?newswatch

8-7: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/07/college-football-battle-for-qb-job-still/?newswatch

8-6: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/06/ysu-offense-trying-to-catch-up-with-vete/?newswatch

8-5: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/05/ysus-offensive-line-depth-looks-improved/?newswatch

8-5: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/05/ysu-notebook-more-from-stambaugh-stadium/?newswatch

8-4: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/04/ysu-begins-practice-today-at-stambaugh/?newswatch

Yes, the days of a reporter staffing every practice are gone. Our YSU guy also does other things, even if some of you aren't interested in them. Those other stories must be done because other people will want to read them.

We're happy to be at as many practices as we can realistically attend, factoring in the other stuff that is on our YSU guy's plate. It's nice to be able to report on the team up close. Remember, as recently as two years ago, YSU's then-coach wanted no part of having practices covered. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out why that was.

But to my larger point, clearly there has been plenty of YSU camp coverage in print. For those of you who don't like newsprint on your fingers, the coverage clearly is also online and there is more on Twitter at https://twitter.com/CgroveVindy.

I don't like message-board drama, but I just can't allow an anonymous troll to outright lie that there have been no YSU football stories done. I hope it really didn't take a list of stories for most of you to realize that the post in question was complete bunk.

Be sure to catch the next story we won't write after Saturday's scrimmage. ;)