Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186425 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2016, 07:36:45 PM »
Statistically speaking #6 would have had a much better year in 15 then 14 if anyone had bothered to catch the ball. Very hard to go through any of your progressions and reads when you have a makeshift line that can't block. It won't matter who the quarterback is this year if we can't catch and remain healthy up front

Lets put it this way, I don't think Dunn would do our team any favors. Why reward someone for breaking the law by shoving him onto a team in the FCS and giving him a contributing starting role in an offense he knows nothing about, over teammates that have been here and proven to be successful and done the right things?

Sure put your best foot forward and all, but that does not mean bring in toxic transfers at all costs! Not to say we are doing that, but I most certainly think Dunn would be and it is not a good idea at all.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »
Hess threw a pick 6 in the Fargodome that I thought changed him as a player.

Nation, not that it changes anything, but that pick 6 Hess threw came the next play after he took a hit to the head out of bounds.  I don't think he was in any shape to come back in, but as people say: "he is a baller"
That time the results were disastrous.  BTW - Kurt is back on campus working on his Master's degree.  Great for him!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »
Hess threw a pick 6 in the Fargodome that I thought changed him as a player.

Nation, not that it changes anything, but that pick 6 Hess threw came the next play after he took a hit to the head out of bounds.  I don't think he was in any shape to come back in, but as people say: "he is a baller"
That time the results were disastrous.  BTW - Kurt is back on campus working on his Master's degree.  Great for him!

Awesome for Kurt.  The nasty hit makes it all make more sense. 

Regarding the culture, these guys come into D1 FB with inflated egos after being the top players in HS, and being showcased at pep rallies, and getting the primo snatch.  Now, in D1 FB, they are deep on the depth chart, ppl don't recognize them on campus, and the ladies require more effort.  It sucks to realize you aren't the king mumja after all.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2016, 08:05:29 PM »
36 days!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2016, 04:06:09 AM »
35 days!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2016, 09:31:40 AM »
YSU predicted to finish third in the MVFC by FB Gameplan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ5Q2Z5QY-M&feature=youtu.be
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2016, 02:02:53 PM »
All the preseason polls in existance and $1 will get you a cup of coffee!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2016, 04:03:45 PM »
That Gameplan video reinforces the point that it is rather silly to offer a "national" analysis of FCS football programs.  Too little reliable information and multiple transfers that can transform a team, for better or worse, between spring and fall.  Some of that material is good but the prognostications are marred by these two glaring errors (and I'm sure there are many others.)  First, that YSU will simply hand Hosick the starting job.  Second, and worse, that Indiana State will have a decent year behind the talents of their quarterback, Matt Adams.  These guys missed the fact that Adams flunked out of school after spring.

We can all make equally reliable forecasts without cost and with little effort.  Here are two projections that most of us will probably agree with.  First, NDSU will be very, very good once again.  Second, Northern Iowa will be very formidable, until December when they will once again make an ignominious departure from the playoffs.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2016, 07:42:18 PM »
All the preseason polls in existance and $1 will get you a cup of coffee!

To true go guins! And it won't even buy you that if that coffee is from Starbucks!  :o

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2016, 08:49:17 AM »
That Gameplan video reinforces the point that it is rather silly to offer a "national" analysis of FCS football programs.  Too little reliable information and multiple transfers that can transform a team, for better or worse, between spring and fall.  Some of that material is good but the prognostications are marred by these two glaring errors (and I'm sure there are many others.)  First, that YSU will simply hand Hosick the starting job.  Second, and worse, that Indiana State will have a decent year behind the talents of their quarterback, Matt Adams.  These guys missed the fact that Adams flunked out of school after spring.

We can all make equally reliable forecasts without cost and with little effort.  Here are two projections that most of us will probably agree with.  First, NDSU will be very, very good once again.  Second, Northern Iowa will be very formidable, until December when they will once again make an ignominious departure from the playoffs.
It isn't much better for FBS Wick.  I remember polls heading into last season where the 3 leading candidates for the Heisman trophy were the 3 OSU QB's.  Whichever won the job got the national championship and Heisman.  Turns out QB was a significant weakness for the Bucks and their loss came when a MSU backup soundly outplayed them.
Nobody wins ALL the time. If I were a betting man, I think I would take NIU over NDSU this season.  They are going to be tough for us.   
Can't wait to watch fall camp QB contest.  Hope it doesn't fracture the team into cliques.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
I listened to "Rick and Roth" on Rookery Radio this Spring and #6 and #12 are very good friends, and spent Spring Break together in Mexico.  I thought that spoke well of #12's character as he, IMO, got royally screwed last season.  As far as Hosick goes, its always tough coming from the outside in but he seems like a genuine guy, from the little I know of him. For the QB position anyway, I think all involved are mature enough to understand the team concept.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »
I listened to "Rick and Roth" on Rookery Radio this Spring and #6 and #12 are very good friends, and spent Spring Break together in Mexico.  I thought that spoke well of #12's character as he, IMO, got royally screwed last season.  As far as Hosick goes, its always tough coming from the outside in but he seems like a genuine guy, from the little I know of him. For the QB position anyway, I think all involved are mature enough to understand the team concept.
Spoken like a true fan.  We'll see what happens.  Much depends on who wins the job.  If Hosick, there is potentially some difficult times.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2016, 07:59:21 PM »
34 days

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2016, 09:42:25 AM »
Good luck to the players and coaches as fall camp is just around the corner. May the players compete like there is know position on the field that is guaranteed and lets trust in the coaches that they make the best decisions possible. I'm just really looking forward to seeing the official roster because of all the players coming and going plus certain legal matters that our pending ..I look for some surprises. Does anyone know if they found a replacement for WR coach Baber?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
Good luck to the players and coaches as fall camp is just around the corner. May the players compete like there is know position on the field that is guaranteed and lets trust in the coaches that they make the best decisions possible. I'm just really looking forward to seeing the official roster because of all the players coming and going plus certain legal matters that our pending ..I look for some surprises. Does anyone know if they found a replacement for WR coach Baber?

Who ?